Ios password generator

rainfactor
rainfactor
Community Member

Hello,

What would be an easy way to change an old password for a banking app.
Ex: Opened my bank app (for which I have a password) and wanted to change it.. Went through the "change password" process within the app.
On the page I filled in the old password then into the new password field I want to generate a new password with 1Password.
For the life of me I couldn't do it.
There is no obvious icon or tool or anything where I could generate a new password. The New pass field has no 1Pass icon or a "generate password" option
I had to go to Passwords in your app generate a new one saved it as a temp password, copy it, went back to the banking app, pasted it there, updated the banking login saved in 1Password, tested it to see if I was allowed to log in with the new app, Deleted the temp pass saved earlier.
This is nuts Dont think it is very easy or intuitive.
There must be a better/easier way. Is there something I was/am missing?

I am on Ios 15.1

Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rainfactor:

There is no obvious icon or tool or anything where I could generate a new password.

If you are using password Autofill, you can tap on the little key symbol on the top of your keyboard to access 1Password from there. This documentation article shows you the process:

Use 1Password to fill and save in apps on your iPhone and iPad

I had to go to Passwords in your app generate a new one saved it as a temp password, copy it, went back to the banking app, pasted it there, updated the banking login saved in 1Password, tested it to see if I was allowed to log in with the new app, Deleted the temp pass saved earlier.

This is an option, but you can also simply update the password field directly inside the Login item, and copy and paste that, instead of creating a new password item that you delete later :+1:

• rainfactor
    rainfactor
    Community Member

Thank you for answering,

My problem was that I did not have that little key I had just something "Passwords" that if I tap on it does take me to the corresponding app 1Password login pair where I couldn't update the actual password. What I was missing that I figured out later was to tap on the top right on edit then the login info would be available for edit and the password generator will be available, I was looking for a standalone password generator.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rainfactor:

What I was missing that I figured out later was to tap on the top right on edit then the login info would be available for edit and the password generator will be available, I was looking for a standalone password generator.

Thank you for the update! The closes thing to a standalone password generator would be to open the 1Password app, tap on Categories on the bottom row, select Passwords in the list, and tap on the "+" button on the top right of the screen. You can now create a separate password using the password generator there :+1:

This discussion has been closed.