1Password 8 on iOS and local vaults

rogm
rogm
Community Member

Hi,

I would like to know what will happen to local vaults once the upgrade to 1Password 8 happens. On iOS it does not seem possible to stick with an older version of an app.

If there is a knowledgebase article about the transition (I could not find one), I would appreciate a link.

Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @rogm:

1Password 8 for iOS will be a separate download in the App Store from 1Password 7. 1Password 7 will not automatically update to it. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to get in touch!

Jack

• rogm
    rogm
    Community Member

That's a big relieve and the answer I was hoping for.

Thank you!

• You're very welcome @rogm! :smile:

• @rogm,

Its also worth mentioning that 1Password 8 on iOS will not support local vaults, so they would have to be migrated to an account prior to installing 1Password 8.

• rogm
    rogm
    Community Member

@rudy Thank you. I haven't decided yet if and when I will migrate to 1P8. My immediate concern was that my local vaults could possibly stop working once 1P8 is rolled out on iOS, due to the nature of automatic upgrades and there being no possibility to stick to older versions of an app. That does not seem to be the case.

• Indeed. 1Password 8 will effectively be a separate app.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Any idea roughly when 1Password 8 will be released for IOS.

Are we looking after new year ?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

As of now, we don't have any specific timelines to share yet.

• rmaki
    rmaki
    Community Member

I really love 1Password 8 for the Mac. The 'Open Quick Access' is fantastic. Cannot wait to see what is new with iOS

• @rmaki

Thank you for sharing your excitement about 1Password 8! I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying 1Password 8 on your Mac, stay tuned for announcements about 1Password 8 on iOS in the future. 😊

• rothaar
    rothaar
    Community Member

Wait what. Why are we ditching local vaults?

• gerard0512
    gerard0512
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

I just downloaded 1password 8 but I’m missing items I had in 1password 7. Are all the ones in local vaults now gone?!?

I have uninstalled 1Password 7. A warning to move all my passwords to my web account would’ve been useful. Wary about trusting 1password going forward now.

• @gerard0512

Please reach out to our team at support@1password.com via email. We'll be happy to troubleshoot.

@rothaar

One of our founders, Dave, wrote a mini-essay on this subject here: https://1password.community/discussion/129161/the-future-of-local-standalone-vaults/p1

Ben

This discussion has been closed.