What happened to the easy "SHARE" operation that I used in 1P v6 ?

Options
dkg
dkg
Community Member
edited November 2021 in Mac

About a year ago I 'upgraded' to a 1Password account (v7) and have since found the program to be almost useless. A major issue is that many of my passwords stored in the Dropbox-sync'd vault in 1P v6 failed to import to the v7 Family account. I now have 3 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones all on the v7 "Private" vault which syncs through iCloud. LUCKILY, I also have one iPad that is still using 1P v6 and still retains my previous Master Password. Almost everyday I have occasion to look up a password and find not evidence of it or the website in the v7 vault. I then trudge upstairs, retrieve the older iPad, look up the desired password/URL and THERE IT IS ! When I discover that item, I "SHARE" via the link in the item, normally using AirDrop, to import it to one of the devices running v7. That works well enough (though I would certainly appreciate NOT having to note "I UNDERSTAND" repeatedly just to complete my sharing. I am slowly working my way through all the items on the v6 iPad, alphabetically - (in excess of 1550 items...) to be sure that the stored items in the v6 vault get replicated in the v7 vault.

Now and then I run onto an item in the v7 vault that needs to be shared back to the v6 vault. But in the "new & improved" v7 I can no longer access a "Share" button but must instead create a "7 Day share LINK" and email/message that link to the other device. Whereupon a URL shows up on the other device which, when clicked, takes me to a totally BLANK webpage. What the hell is up with that ?? And why was the very straightforward "share" button functionality from v6 removed.

signed "Not A Happy Camper..."
David G.

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: 7.9.1 BETA-2
OS Version: Mac OSX 10.15.7
Referrer: forum-search:share

Comments

• Hi @dkg:

Thanks for writing in. It sounds like there's a few different things at play here, but I'd love to help you get all your data where you expect it to be. To do this, we'll need to take a closer look at all your devices, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

Additionally, I've removed your email from your post to avoid having your personal information visible in public.

• dkg
    dkg
    Community Member
    Options

OK, Jack,
    I am trying to follow along with this. I have DL'd and run the Mac Troubleshooting app and created a diagnostic report there. I also used the link for iOS diagnostics and was able to create the report from mu iPad 8, but the iPad that still has the earlier 1P version has some sort of hangup. On it, the link goes to the 1Password app, creates a report and creates what looks like an email - INSIDE of 1Password - but does not allow me to access any Send button (or other way to share that report back to my Mac or iPad 8. So, without that report, I don't think we can actually figure out why the Mini iPad data is a separate file... ??

• Hi @dkg:

Sorry to hear you're running into a little trouble there. If you try tapping in the upper right corner of that draft where you would expect the send button to be, does that send the report along? Let me know.

Jack

• dkg
    dkg
    Community Member
    Options

So - back to the original question in the post, why has the SHARE function that was present in v6 been disabled? It worked very well and the "link" replacement has not worked at all for me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dkg:

I think that is why Jack asked you for a diagnostics report, so he can help you find out. Have you managed to send it after all?

This discussion has been closed.