Happy with v8 release so far

zer0r00t
zer0r00t
Community Member

Was in doubt that mini UI will be taken away. But I'm happy with quick access and the functionality is better than mini. Some feedback for now and the thread will be updated later if I find anything else:

1. Number of items on left sidebar for categories and tags; I understand it's a minimalistic approach but there are users like me who prefer info-heavy UIs and I think this should be an opt-in option at least.

2. PgUp and PgDown. Home and End keys work so one would think that the same applies to PgUp and PgDown. Just feels incomplete.

3. Tags; no easy way to manage tags anymore, except dragging items into a tag in sidebar. No way to remove one tag from multiple items, or add multiple items into a new tag on the fly. Both were available on 7. I don't understand why minimalism need to be applied to context menus. It can be feature packed. If one is opening context menu, for sure said user wants to perform some advanced actions. What's the point of context menu if it contain the exact same actions that are already available on the details pane? Really hoping to see some tagging actions in context menu for single and multiple items.

So far that's all. Some of the feedback I had for the beta were implemented and I appreciate that

Cheers

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited November 2021

Hi @zer0r00t , thanks kindly for this detailed feedback. We're happy to have it!

Was in doubt that mini UI will be taken away. But I'm happy with quick access and the functionality is better than mini.

Hey, that's great! We've been excited about the potential of Quick Access, and it's been fun to see it come together. We're of course still working to improve it, but it's wonderful to hear that for you this constitutes a functional improvement over mini. We're finding it a big step forward as well 👍

Number of items on left sidebar for categories and tags; I understand it's a minimalistic approach but there are users like me who prefer info-heavy UIs and I think this should be an opt-in option at least.

Sure thing. We have an existing customer request for this and are tracking demand (as always), so I'll add your name to that discussion!

PgUp and PgDown. Home and End keys work so one would think that the same applies to PgUp and PgDown. Just feels incomplete.

I take your point, and have created a request for this as well, as part of an overall look at how we handle keyboard actions within the app.

And regarding tags, I have likewise submitted a request for these kind of more flexible actions on your behalf.

ref: dev/core/core#1546
    ref: dev/core/core#9298
    ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests/#798

Thanks again for the thoughtful post. We'll take every opportunity to keep making the best password manager around, and your feedback helps us get there! Cheers from the 1Password team 😃

• MattW15
    MattW15
    Community Member

Hi @PeterG_1P, mind if I throw my name in behind those suggestions. Really the only two things I'm missing in 8 versus 7 is the ability to create a password quickly in Quick Access (which is otherwise really slick) and having the categories back on the sidebar of the main app. Otherwise, good release, I have a rather large vault and I can see quite a performance increase in the 8 codebase.

• tkatz
    tkatz
    Community Member

Hi @PeterG_1P, please add my name to the list as well! As @MattW15 suggested, having a way to generate a password quickly via Quick Access would also be a welcome addition. This is something I used in mini quite often. And I would also very much like to see the categories back on the side bar.

• zer0r00t
    zer0r00t
    Community Member

+1 I too noticed better performance. I'll happily give up some extra memory if it means better performance any day, despite what some might say :)

• Hey @MattW15 / @tkatz:

Thanks for your feedback, and I'll add both of you to both of those internal issues! :smile:

@zer0r00t:

Thanks for your kind words on the performance. That's definitely what we were striving to achieve! :chuffed:

Jack

• Mitch
    edited November 2021

Thanks @zer0r00t.

These are all great points and I can speak to tag manipulation in particular:

I don't understand why minimalism need to be applied to context menus.

This certainly isn't a design goal! Context menus are great and we want to do more of them. It's mostly that the app was rewritten from scratch, and bulk editing of tags didn't make the cut for the first release. It will absolutely be making its return.

• Hi @MattW15 and @tkatz!

Thanks for providing your feedback on Quick Access! I'm digging a little bit more into your requests and was curious around your personal use cases for wanting Quick Access to allow password generation? When and where would you see yourselves gravitating to that feature? It's something quite interesting to me.

Appreciate your time and hope to hear from you both soon!

Best regards,
    Travis Hogan
    Product Manager - B2C & Core

• tkatz
    tkatz
    Community Member

Hi @AG_Travis,

One example is that I do a lot of remote admin work via shell/terminal. Sometimes I need to create passwords and in the past I would use 1pw mini for that, as it was faster to access that and click on "Password Generator", than launching the main application and clicking through to add a new item to get to the password generator, or opening a browser window to use the extension.

The same goes for when using software that isn't browser based, or have access to the browser extension directly. Quick Access is nice and really fast, and it would be convenient to be able to have a quick and easy way to generate strong passwords on the fly when needed.

• MattW15
    MattW15
    Community Member

Hi @AG_Travis,

Similarly to what @tkatz said, I do a lot of work with admin utilites and remote shells, as well as applications that are not browser based and being able to quickly generate a password for them without either going to the browser or switching to the main 1Password application is a big convenience. I deal with a lot of stuff that's pretty strongly legacy based like HVAC control systems that need passwords generated. It's not a showstopper, but it is a convenience item.

What could be nice to consider in the future is to be able to generate passwords and save them from Quick Access, so for example when I'm setting up something that isn't browser based I could just quickly create a strong password for the application, give it a name, and save it into my vault for future reference without switching between applications.

• Hi @MattW15 and @tkatz!

Thanks for the follow up! @tkatz, do you also follow a similar process as @MattW15 after generating a password? That is, generating the password, giving it a name and then saving?

Best regards,
    Travis Hogan
    Product Manager - B2C & Core

• tkatz
    tkatz
    Community Member

Hi @AG_Travis,

Normally I would go back and assign names to passwords I would want to keep, after the fact, as I believe mini used to just create the password with "Password" as the title. Having the ability to name it at the time of generate would indeed be useful!

• zer0r00t
    zer0r00t
    Community Member

I can see myself using generated passwords from quick access as well. Having all generated passwords in one single synced history list can be handy. Also I'd LOVE to be able to change the enter key behavior in quick access to open the mini details window (it's Ctrl+O now) instead of 'open and fill'. I like to store long Linux commands and/or flags in 1P and I drag and drop A LOT to the terminal. In fact, I almost never use 'open and fill' as I can just click a bookmark in my browser and use the extension to login. I believe many would like this to be configurable

• zer0r00t
    zer0r00t
    Community Member

@Mitch nice to hear. I was starting to think it's a serious design decision

This discussion has been closed.