Future of 1Password 7 on Mac and iOS for current license holders

rogm
rogm
Community Member

Dear 1Password Support Team,

As far as I understand the coming release of 1Password 8 will (sadly) only support cloud vaults, and will also only be offered as a monthly subscription. After considering the pros and cons I came to the conclusion, that I don't want to upgrade to 1Password 8 and, as long as it's technically possible, would like to stay on version 7.x.x. At least until I find a new application to manage my passwords locally.

I currently have three local vaults which I occassionally sync over Wifi from my Mac to my iPhone and iPad. I also use the (legacy) Firefox Add-On to access my passwords. On iPhone and iPad I use the password fill-in feature (not the new extension).

Since the annoucement of the transition I have been increasingly worried that my setup might stop working once 1Password 8 is released on Mac and on iOS. I would therefore appreciate if you could explain what your plans are for license holders of 1Password 7. Please also explain if there are any steps I need to take to prevent an automatic upgrade.

Thank you!

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 11.16.1

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rogm!

Since the annoucement of the transition I have been increasingly worried that my setup might stop working once 1Password 8 is released on Mac and on iOS. I would therefore appreciate if you could explain what your plans are for license holders of 1Password 7. Please also explain if there are any steps I need to take to prevent an automatic upgrade.

1Password 8 will be a separate download, so you can continue using 1Password 7 until it keep working through operating system upgrades :)

• AustriaXXL
    AustriaXXL
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

@rogm @ag_ana

I had the same mental problem to convert to a (paid) subscription.

But: Have a look at the benefits offered when switching from "stand alone".
    Meanwhile I am using "Fastmail" as well with my 1PW-Account in the "Early Access" Version 8.

As I quitted smoking, no additional monthly (or better: yearly) money spending is obviously.....

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the additional feedback :)

This discussion has been closed.