A few comments

Options

Just a few of the latest things I have noticed:

• I like to run 1Password in full-screen mode. I leave it in fullscreen mode but a lot of the time it jumps out of it. It stays pretty much maximum window size but not officially in full screen mode. Very frustrating.

• Searches in the app for substring searches do not yield results. If you search for part of a word in a title etc, you get no results. Yet again annoying.

• In the quick access window (which I really do like), it would be nice to be able to view all the item details rather than just have the option for copy username or password. Maybe highlighting the item name at the top and pressing the right arrow key could show a preview of the full item. This would be useful to just visually see details (including name and password) if not wanting to actually copy and paste them. Sometimes glancing an item to check if something is correct is all that's required.

• I find that when I click in a sign in field and then click the "Open 1Password" button, on a non-touch ID machine, I get zoomed over to the app, enter my password, zoomed back to my app and the extension seems to hang for what seems like an eternity before I get the option to select something to fill in. Please can this be quicker, it's soooo annoying. Also, the zoom out of current app to the 1Password window is STILL annoying the life out of me. I've commented on this 3 times now so it's obviously getting to me. It DOES NOT appear to do this on Touch ID Macs as the Touch ID promptly just pops up above. Why can't it do this for password entry? Use the installed browser extension maybe?

• And another comment for moving the preferences "X" to the right side when running on MacOS. This would create consistency with the host OS. I know it's not a native control but at least it would be in a consistent place with others apps.

I feel like posting all this is pretty much a waste of time as all my other comments have pretty much not been taken onboard and I know I'll most likely get a response along the lines of "We appreciate all comments and take everything onboard etc..." but it is annoying when you spend time testing and submitting the problems you've encountered and nothing appears to change.

Thanks,
Neil

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• claus
    claus
    Community Member
    Options

AgileBits should take v7 and continue to develop it. It was an almost perfect product.
    Version 8 is an "app" full of bugs and GUI glitches - because they forgot all what was working well in v7.

• PeterG_1P
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hi @rctneil, thanks for your observations here. To keep things tidy, I'll respond in the order you've posted. ๐Ÿ‘

I leave it in fullscreen mode but a lot of the time it jumps out of it. It stays pretty much maximum window size but not officially in full screen mode. Very frustrating.

I'm sorry to hear that! I haven't been able to reproduce this, but if you'd like to share an animation (or perhaps a series of screenshots) I'll be happy to pass this along. So far when I've tested it, 1Password 8 has remained in full-screen when I set it that way and re-sized appropriately when not. If you're seeing something different, we'd definitely like to check it out and address it. ๐Ÿ‘

Searches in the app for substring searches do not yield results. If you search for part of a word in a title etc, you get no results. Yet again annoying.

The search function is definitely an object of ongoing work. As it happens, one of our teammates here has already submitted a request to improve exactly what you've described. My advice for this one would be: hang tight!

In the quick access window (which I really do like), it would be nice to be able to view all the item details rather than just have the option for copy username or password. Maybe highlighting the item name at the top and pressing the right arrow key could show a preview of the full item. This would be useful to just visually see details (including name and password) if not wanting to actually copy and paste them. Sometimes glancing an item to check if something is correct is all that's required.

Thanks for the kind words on Quick Access! ๐Ÿ˜€ We're pretty psyched about it too.

For the purpose of being able to see all of an item's details from Quick Access: how do you feel about the Open Item in New Window option? Should we try to make this more accessible?

(For anyone else reading this who may be unfamiliar, you can reach this by going to Quick Access > type in name of item you want to find > ... icon > Open Item in New Window. You can also open Quick Access, type the item name, and hit Cmd + O to produce the same result).

I find that when I click in a sign in field and then click the "Open 1Password" button, on a non-touch ID machine, I get zoomed over to the app, enter my password, zoomed back to my app and the extension seems to hang for what seems like an eternity before I get the option to select something to fill in. Please can this be quicker, it's soooo annoying. Also, the zoom out of current app to the 1Password window is STILL annoying the life out of me. I've commented on this 3 times now so it's obviously getting to me. It DOES NOT appear to do this on Touch ID Macs as the Touch ID promptly just pops up above. Why can't it do this for password entry? Use the installed browser extension maybe?

We definitely want the unlocking process to be as efficient as possible - and we understand no one wants to wait around for an app to open. I'm going to see if I can tag in some of our folks who have specialized knowledge around this (extension unlocking specifically) and can speak to it from a more informed perspective. I'll hope to have more for you on this soon!

And another comment for moving the preferences "X" to the right side when running on MacOS. This would create consistency with the host OS. I know it's not a native control but at least it would be in a consistent place with others apps.

Sorry if I come off as confused here - is the X not currently right-aligned?

To address the consistency with the host OS - your point is well-taken. We do indeed want 1Password for Mac to feel "right at home" (as it has been put before) on the Mac. Our team has also developed a design language for 1Password 8 that works remarkably well, not only on Mac but across platforms, and I think there's something to be said for that. While we understand that some people will want us to adhere to OS precedent, especially on Mac, 100%, there may be times when we decide to go with a different design in some aspect of the app. The overall objective is still to make the best app possible, and to be thoughtful across all aspects of design.

I feel like posting all this is pretty much a waste of time as all my other comments have pretty much not been taken onboard and I know I'll most likely get a response along the lines of "We appreciate all comments and take everything onboard etc..." but it is annoying when you spend time testing and submitting the problems you've encountered and nothing appears to change.

I'm genuinely sorry you feel that way. We are honestly taking customer feedback on board - yes! - literally every day here, and I think a fair perusal through the recent release history of the Early Access versions (and now Stable Windows and Linux updates) will show that we're continually taking feedback from the forums here and putting it into practice. And we'll continue to do so! ๐Ÿ‘

We can't implement every feature, and there may be some points of genuine design disagreement at times, but we're driven to make an app that is super secure, looks amazing, and feels great to use. And user feedback is a huge part of that. I hope you'll keep sharing your impressions with us!

ref: dev/core/core#10777
    ref: dev/core/core#9505

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @rctneil! I'd love to help with the issue you're seeing when unlocking the extension on a machine without Touch ID. I have an older Mac from 2016 and I haven't had any issues with unlocking 1Password from the browser on it. So I'm curious to see what's going on from your end. Could you start by turning off the "Integrate with 1Password App" option and then turning it back on? Here's how to do that:

1. Open your browser, right-click the 1Password icon, and select Settings.
    2. Go to General. Toggle "Integrate with 1Password App" off.
    3. Toggle "Integrate with 1Password App" back on.
    4. Lock the extension, go to a sign-in field, and unlock 1Password from the field.

If you're still seeing a delay, could you let us know if this is happening each time you try to open 1Password in the browser? Could you send us a console log the next time you're able to replicate the behavior? Here is how to do that: https://support.1password.com/cs/extension-console-log/

Keep us posted, hope to chat with you again soon!

This discussion has been closed.