Change browser, or add second browser, for 1Password 7 licensed version

Options
VT1P
VT1P
Community Member
edited November 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I have previously only used 1P in Safari. I am trying out Chrome as a possible alternative bowser and I cannot figure out how to use 1P in Chrome.

I use the licensed version of 1P 7.9. I have installed Chrome on my Mac and I have installed the Chrome 1Password extension 2.1.4 in Chrome. I have turned on the extension in Chrome. A 1Password icon has appeared in my Chrome Menu bar, but it is locked. If I click the icon, with 1P locked on my computer, I get the regular 1P unlock window with a box to enter my Master Password. When I enter my password, 1P unlocks and a second window opens that says "Open 1Password", but when I click on "Open 1Password" nothing happens.

When I go into 1Password, Preferences, Browsers it still indicates Safari as the only browser I can make selections for.

What do I need to do in order open and use the 1P 7.9 licensed version and the Chrome 2.1.4 browser extension in Chrome?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.9 Licensed Version
Extension Version: Chrome 2.1.4, Safari 7.9
OS Version: MacOS 11.6

Comments

• Hi @VT1P:

The extension you have installed currently only supports 1Password accounts, not standalone vaults. To use your 1Password standalone data in Chrome, these steps will get you set with the 1Password classic extension: Get the 1Password classic extension

Just as a sidenote, 1Password 8, now available for both Windows and Linux, and in Early Access for macOS will not support standalone vaults, only 1Password accounts as Dave has discussed here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/602340/#Comment_602340

Jack

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your extension clarification.

The site you directed me to took me to the classic extension download and info page for Chrome, but the the first window was an informational video that said "Not Available". The site you directed me to, and your reply, did not provide any info on how to use the 1P classic extension for AutoFill.

I removed the 1P.com extension from Chrome and added and enabled the classic extension. The 1P icon in in the Chrome Menu bar now takes me to my login item for whatever site I am trying to log in to. There is an AutoFill button within the login item window, but when I click it the login credentials do not AutoFill. I have to copy them manually into the website's login fields.

Is there any way to make the 1P licensed version, with the Chrome classic extension, do AutoFill in Chrome like it does in Safari?

Thanks also for the reminder on 1P 8. I have been following the roll out of 1P 8 and I plan to try it as soon as the final version for Mac is released. I understand I will have to move my standalone vault items to the .com version.

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

1P in Chrome is now autofilling my login credentials.

When I loaded Chrome into my two Mac laptops and signed in to Gmail, I was asked if I wanted to turn on Chrome's Sync feature. I poked yes and all of the bookmarks and extensions I had previously loaded into Chrome on my iMac loaded into my laptops. When I poked the 1P icon in the Chrome Menu bar on my laptops it showed the login item window for each website and the AutoFill button worked to fill my credentials. Then I went back to my iMac and found the AutoFill button was working on my iMac also.

I have no idea how this happened, but I am not complaining!

1P on Safari used to work similarly, but at some point in the past year, following a 1P 7 update, I presume, 1P on Safari started to autofill my credentials as soon as I poked the 1P icon, bypassing the step where the login item window opens and I have to poke the AutoFill button.

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member
    Options

1P is now autofilling my login credentials in Chrome.

When I finished setting up Chrome and 1P on my iMac, I set up Chrome on my two Mac laptops. When I signed in to Gmail I was asked if I wanted to turn on Chrome's Sync feature. I poked yes and all of the bookmarks and extensions I had set up on my iMac loaded into my laptops. When I went to log in at a website and poked the 1P icon in my laptops' Chrome Menu bars I found that the AutoFill button properly filled my credentials when I poked it. When I went back to my iMac I found the AutoFill button was also working on my iMac.

I don't know why I initially encountered the manual-fill only problem on my iMac, but I am happy now.

1P used to work similarly on my Macs, requiring me to poke the AutoFill button when I poked the 1P icon in my Safari Menu bar. At some point during the past year my Safari 1P setup began to autofill my credentials as soon as I poked a 1P icon in each credential field. I suppose that began to happen after a 1P update. I wonder if I can get 1P on Chrome to work the same way.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@VT1P:

1P used to work similarly on my Macs, requiring me to poke the AutoFill button when I poked the 1P icon in my Safari Menu bar. At some point during the past year my Safari 1P setup began to autofill my credentials as soon as I poked a 1P icon in each credential field. I suppose that began to happen after a 1P update. I wonder if I can get 1P on Chrome to work the same way.

The new 1Password in the browser extension works the same way in Chrome:

Get started with 1Password in your browser

But this requires a 1Password Membership to work, so in your case you need to use the classic extension I am afraid.

This discussion has been closed.