Can't open vault on iMac

Nevada_Princess
Nevada_Princess
Community Member

I've just upgraded to the current version of 1Password from an older one, previously keeping my vault on Dropbox.
Everything is great, except my iMac keeps asking for my previous vault password, which I had forgotten — Which is one reason I upgraded.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling and restarting the computer and it just keeps looking for the previous vault. The option to add a new vault is greyed out. When I try to log in, it tells me the password is wrong. This worked fine on my laptop and iPad, so I don't know what's wrong here.

Thanks for any help!

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7 Catalina
Referrer: forum-search:can't upgrade

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Nevada_Princess:

Everything is great, except my iMac keeps asking for my previous vault password, which I had forgotten — Which is one reason I upgraded.
    This worked fine on my laptop and iPad, so I don't know what's wrong here.

Are you able to login to the 1Password.com website at https://my.1password.com using your credentials?

• Nevada_Princess
    Nevada_Princess
    Community Member

Yes, no problems other than my iMac.

• Nevada_Princess
    Nevada_Princess
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

I've just tried removing the app, restarting the computer, reinstalling and reconnecting. Still doesn't work, although when I enter the password it says "Account already added," but I still can't open the password file.

I've noticed that on my iMac, the preferences bar is different than on my Macbook, even though they are the same application version (7.9.1). This is the iMac preferences bar:

There's also an "Advanced" tab to the right following the ">>"
    On the "Accounts" tab it shows me logged in, but no secret key or any way to enter it.

This is on my Macbook:

Why are these different? Can someone from Agilebits help?

• Nevada_Princess
    Nevada_Princess
    Community Member

Just tried deleting, restarting the computer and installing from the App Store...same problem.

Anybody? Really stuck here.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Nevada_Princess:

It sounds like you need to reset your 1Password for Mac app:

How to reset the 1Password app on a specific device

This will remove everything you have in the app, including your old vault with the Master Password you don't remember. Once you launch the app again you will be able to add your new 1Password account there, the same one you are able to login to on your other devices :+1:

• Nevada_Princess
    Nevada_Princess
    Community Member

Good heavens...THAT'S all I needed to do??! Wish I'd known that in the fist place...took all of two minutes and I've been trying to figure this out for more than two hours!

THANK YOU! 😊

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @Nevada_Princess! I am glad I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.