What’s this %2F& in the search result popup?

Options
doio
doio
Community Member

I did a search with keyword "google" and I found one of the search result a bit different from the other items.

The first item came with my username and a URL that didn't really show anywhere.

The website I used was "https://accounts.google.com/signin" and in the search result popup the URL seemed to be "google.com%2F&" something.
I know %2F was a "/" but where did "google.com/&" come from? I wonder if this extra URL comes from my OTP link?

Another question is why didn't you guys decode this character beforehand?

1Password Version: 80500008
Extension Version: Version 2.1.8
OS Version: Windows 11

Comments

• Hello @doio! Hopefully we can figure this out together. In Quick Find, the URL being shown is the website for the item. This website can also be shown in the item details pane on the right.

This might get a little technical, so if you have any additional questions, please ask!

Most frequently, this URL matches the browser URL when the password was originally saved to 1Password. In this case, it appears from the screenshot to be part of the Google authentication flow. Quite frequently in authentication flows--including Google's--the browser will be redirected from the page a user would like to visit to a page for logging in. As part of the flow, the page to return to after logging in is encoded into the parameters of the URL. It appears that that's what happened here.

You are correct that %2F is the URL encoded version of /. The & character is used for separating multiple parameters in a URL. google.com/ was the path encoded onto the URL and the & is marking the beginning of the next parameter. This can be confirmed by viewing the full URL. It is likely that this appears within it.

Cheers!

K.J.

This discussion has been closed.