To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

What does "remove old vault" do?

ajahn
ajahn
Community Member

At the end of the IOS "migrate your old data" video, it says "do you want us to remove your old vault". My old vault is on Dropbox. Will it actually remove it from Dropbox, or just remove it from my 1Password application? Does the old vault show up in the new application as an actual vault?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn:

Will it actually remove it from Dropbox, or just remove it from my 1Password application?

It will just remove the vault from the 1Password app.

Does the old vault show up in the new application as an actual vault?

Yes, like every other vault.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

@ag_ana,
    Thanks for the response. I just want to be 100% sure that nothing will happen to the old vault in Dropbox because my wife will still be using it until I invite her to the Family account, and I still have an older Mac that won't be upgradable to the Family membership until I upgrade the OS at a later date.

You said that after data migration, the old vault will show up in 1Password as just another vault. What name is given to that vault? Can I leave it there for a while, then remove it later? Do I right-click on it and say "delete"? Is that vault treated differently than other vaults I create in the new version? For example, if I were to create a new "test" vault and move some passwords into it, then delete the vault, would I lose those passwords? I suppose that the migrated vault is treated differently than other vaults? This is really the last concern that I have before I pull the trigger on upgrading. Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn:

You said that after data migration, the old vault will show up in 1Password as just another vault. What name is given to that vault?

Primary.

Can I leave it there for a while, then remove it later?

Certainly.

Do I right-click on it and say "delete"?

To remove your Primary vault, choose Vault menu > Switch to Vault > Primary. Then choose Vault menu > Delete Vault.

Is that vault treated differently than other vaults I create in the new version?

Yes, it's an important vault that controls what Master Password is used to unlock the app. The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

If you are using a 1Password membership we generally recommend removing the Primary vault.

For example, if I were to create a new "test" vault and move some passwords into it, then delete the vault, would I lose those passwords?

No, you would not lose passwords if you delete a vault after you moved its items to a different vault.

I suppose that the migrated vault is treated differently than other vaults?

No, it's really like any other vault, other than the fact that it is used to tell 1Password what Master Password to use to unlock the 1Password app.

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Ok, we're almost there...

Yes, it's an important vault that controls what Master Password is used to unlock the app.

Sorry to be so dense. When you refer to the Primary vault, does that mean once it has been migrated to the membership account and shows up as a new vault named "Primary"? Once migrated to the membership account, has it severed its reference to the Dropbox location? Are all the passwords, etc., AND the master password you mention, copied over to the membership account from Dropbox? What I'm getting at is, once I move to the membership, can I change my master password without affecting the master password stored in Dropbox? I mentioned that our iMac will still use the single license for a while and use Dropbox, with the original master password. Also, when my wife upgrades to the family membership, I want her to change her master password. Currently, we all share the same master password because we all share the same dropbox directory. Hope this makes sense.

• "Primay" is not a membership vault and should ultimately be removed from 1Password on your devices where you're using your membership. Primary is a standalone vault and standalone vaults will not be supported in future versions of 1Password. Removing the vault from your 1Password installations will not delete the vault from Dropbox. After the Primary vault is removed, Dropbox will be completely uninvolved with 1Password on the devices where you've done so. Changing your account password would have no impact on Dropbox or any 1Password vaults stored there.

Does that make sense? Please let us know.

Ben

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Hi @Ben. Yes, I think that makes sense. So, the Primary vault only shows up in your 1Password app if you choose to migrate your old data to the membership account? I assume I will only do that on my mac, then for my other devices, I just sign in to the membership account (use the secret key barcode). Since I've already migrated my old data, I can skip that step from then on?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn:

So, the Primary vault only shows up in your 1Password app if you choose to migrate your old data to the membership account?

Yes, you can then remove it from the 1Password app afterwards.

I assume I will only do that on my mac, then for my other devices, I just sign in to the membership account (use the secret key barcode). Since I've already migrated my old data, I can skip that step from then on?

Correct!

This discussion has been closed.