Upgrading from 7 to 8

Ohytos
Ohytos
Community Member

Maybe those questions are dumb, but quick googling gave me no answers. I had 1Password 7 installed and logged in and I wanted to get 1p v8
1. Why update to v8 was not shown inside the v7 app?
2. Why during installation of v8 over v7 you delete v7 and then make me to retype all those secret key and server address?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Ohytos:

Thanks for asking! The short version as to why you had to reenter your information: 1Password 8 is an entirely new application with an entirely new database format.

Jack

• BobArch2
    BobArch2
    Community Member

Hi @Jack.Platten,

Which begs the questions ... are those the only upgrade requirements ...secret key, server address and what about this new database format? Not sure about server address. I don't recall having to use that before. A new database format concerns me about the safety of my vault. How is it protected if the update goes belly up?

• PeterG_1P
    edited November 2021

Hi @BobArch2, these are great questions. I'm happy to help!

are those the only upgrade requirements

There are basically two things you need to upgrade to 1Password 8:

1. A device that can run it. This shouldn't be an issue for most people, but you can find the system requirements here if you need them: https://support.1password.com/system-requirements/)
    2. A 1Password membership 👍

If those are in place, you're good to go!

Not sure about server address. I don't recall having to use that before.

Sure, to clear this up: this is also sometimes called the sign-in address.

For most people, the sign-in address (which you have if you have a membership) is https://my.1Password.com. Folks who sign up as part of a business may have one that's specific to their organization, like awesomecompany.1Password.com but if you have signed up for 1Password solo, the my.1Password address should work for you.

A new database format concerns me about the safety of my vault. How is it protected if the update goes belly up?

A very reasonable concern. There are a couple ways your data is protected in this case:

1. 1Password's servers safeguard a reference copy of your encrypted database. That means that, as long as you have your Emergency Kit, you will always have access to your 1Password data. Even if your upgrade went really wrong (or heck, even if you threw your device in a lake), you still wouldn't lose your data because it doesn't depend on the integrity of that one file on your device.

2. Second, 1Password creates a local database on any device where you have logged into the 1Password app. That local database is the thing that could get messed up if something went wrong with an upgrade, but as I mentioned 1Password's servers can help you out there. To add to that, the 1Password app creates a local database on any other devices where you've installed 1Password and logged in too. So if you are using 1Password on a desktop, a laptop, and a mobile phone, you have 4 available copies of your data:

• The one in our servers,
    • and one on each of your devices.

We understand that your data is important, so building redundancy into the design of the app - and building a system to sync that data between devices, so it's the same everywhere - is something we're pretty proud of.

I hope this sheds some light on how we handle those questions - and should you choose to upgrade, feel free to let me know if you'd like a hand with anything! 😃

• AlexY
    AlexY
    Community Member

Why update to v8 was not shown inside the v7 app?

this is not addressed. I just accidentally discovered there's version 8 now. 7 months after release.

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022

Hi @AlexY, thanks for the question. I'd welcome you to try 1Password 8 if you haven't already. We'd love to know your experience with it!

Why update to v8 was not shown inside the v7 app?

We likely will, eventually. But there are a couple considerations: 1Password 8 is a major generational upgrade, not just a simple update from 1Password 7, and we wanted to give folks the choice to opt in.

And while 1Password 8 is safe and works well for the large majority of users, there are subsets of users (like those who work in business settings with sophisticated networking and security setups) for whom we need to put some extra support in place. We wouldn't want to prompt them to make the switch before we know that we have a smooth upgrade path and everything's good to go. We're working away on that, and expect to be able to share more soon.

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member

Hi,
    is it already worth to update from v7 to v8? In the beginning I read that in v8 a lot of features were missing? Has v8 in the meanwhile most of the features like v7? How would an update on windows look like? Simple deinstalling v7 and I after that a fresh install of v8? I‘m using family membership, so simple re-login after installing v8 should work, or?

• Hi @Finke03, please excuse the delay in response. Thanks for your reply and additional questions.

Since 1Password 8 was built from the ground up, some features are still under development, but most are available or we have alternatives in place. We're continuing to introduce exciting new features that are not available/possible in version 7. Take a look at a vision of the future with 1Password.

With regard to installing 1Password 8, you can download it here and the install process will automatically uninstall version 7.

Please ensure you've saved a copy of your Emergency Kit and recorded your password on it, so that you always have access to your account. If you lose your Secret Key or account password, we cannot restore it for you or help you recover your account.

Get to know your Emergency Kit

If you have any other questions or concerns, let us know. We'll be happy to help!

• adjackson3
    adjackson3
    Community Member

Now I am really concerned. I found out about 1Password8 by accident a couple of weeks ago. I keep waffling about doing the update. Then I found this thread. I decided it was too soon for me to take the step. THEN, I noticed the date. Last year. So now I'm sure I'm not going to do the update. Not sure what I will wait for.

• Hi @adjackson3,

Thanks for your message and sorry for any concern this has caused. We're continually updating 1Password 8 and bringing new features in. Please take a look at our Release Notes page for updated details.

If you are currently using a 1Password account and storing all of your data on 1Password.com (or .ca/.eu), we recommend you install 1Password 8 for Windows and give it a try. If it's not right for you or there's any features that your missing, you can uninstall version 8 and revert back to 1Password 7 for Windows.

If you have any additional feedback about version 8 or missing some features, please let us know and we'd happy to pass it along the Product team.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

If I understand the release notes correctly, 1P continues to implement somewhat trivial improvements while ignoring the pleas and screams for implementing concepts that already existed in 1P7, even those for which Dave Teare has admitted his support. Also, it would appear that having tiptoed into having a secure desktop again for Beta users you have now reverted to making it unavailable.

I am truly concerned that 1P, a one-time excellent company with a very strong product, has taken careful aim and successfully shot itself in the foot.

• Hello again @Andrew42,

Thanks for getting back to us. I can assure you that we're listening and all feedback about features (or alternatives) that have yet to make it into 1Password 8, is passed along to our Development and Product teams.

Specifically to your comment about Secure Desktop, it true that this feature will not be supported going forward. While I can't make any promises about it making a return, I'm happy to pass this feedback along to the team for future consideration. For more details about this topic, I've included another thread here with some of the thoughts behind this features removal.

Do let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks again!

ref: dev/core/core#18270

This discussion has been closed.