1Password V8.0 Eliminating WLAN Sync?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

Do I understand correctly that V8 will discontinue support for iCloud / DropBox and most importantly WLAN Sync and force me to use 1Password.com? I currently use WLAN sync because I have experienced too many data breaches from supposedly "secure" websites & clouds.
There is no way I am going to trust anyone (not even 1Password) with all my account details and passwords.

If my understanding is correct, I will certainly switch to another password manager that allows me to control my own security.

1Password Version: 1Password 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Bazzer1967!

Your understanding is correct, 1Password 8 requires a 1Password Membership on 1Password.com. Please see this post from my colleague Ben for more details about this, including about the security aspects :+1:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Thank you @ag_ana, this is helpful.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @Bazzer1967 :+1: Let us know if you have any other questions.

• JDLH
    JDLH
    Community Member

+1. I am another Mac 1Password 7 user. I pay for my licence with a subscription, but I don't sync my data with 1password.ca. I really, really want my data to stay in local vaults, and get synced between devices with WLAN Sync. I acknowledge Ben's post, about how syncing with 1password.ca is OK because the data is well-encrypted, but I am still not comfortable. In fact, I came to 1Password a few years ago because my previous password manager, SplashID, was forcing me to sync my data with their cloud.

At the very least, I have a reason to resist upgrading to 1Password 8 for as long as I can.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback as well @JDLH, noted :+1:

• foolioCA
    foolioCA
    Community Member

Ditto - relevant cross post here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/641815#Comment_641815

+1 that this will cause me to migrate.

• Hi @foolioCA, thanks for this. For the sake of keeping the conversation follow-able, I will reply to the post you linked.

This discussion has been closed.