1Password Extension not working in any browser after 1Password 8 update

I upgraded to the 1Password 8 desktop app a few days back. I use the older 1Password browser extension here in the chrome web store to use 1Password in the browser, but ever since the update, the extension doesn't seem to be working at all, and I keep getting this message -

I've followed all the recommended troubleshooting steps - restarted app, restarted browser, restarted machine, nothing helps.

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10

Comments

• Hi @manishgiri:

Glad to hear you're giving 1Password 8 a try! 1Password 8 is only compatible with our newer browser extension, 1Password in the browser, and does not support the classic extension that requires the desktop app.

Jack

• manishgiri
    manishgiri
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

Hello @jack.platten , thank you for responding!

The reason I've avoided using the newer 1Password browser extension, which used to be called 1PasswordX not too long ago (IIRC), is that the extension tends to suppress the default password saving feature of the browser. There was an option in the extension configuration which would enable the browser's password saving feature to be functional again, but with that, the 1Password extension itself would no longer save new passwords automatically. Is that still the case with this extension that you linked to?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2021

@manishgiri:

You can do that :) Please see this recent discussion for the details on how to make the 1Password browser extension work together with your browser's autofill feature ;)

• En1
    En1
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

The classic browser extension was the only extension working for me for years. The "new shiny one" has never worked - even now after a clean install of the PC, Edge being up to date, the OS being up to date and with 1Password 8 the app still shows "log in to 1Password" as if it wasn't always logged in to

I just want to press a combination on my keyboard and have 1Password fill it into a website, I don't understand why it has to be so hard - and I work in IT and know how users are

• @En1

Are you able to elaborate what you mean by:

The "new shiny one" has never worked - even now after a clean install of the PC.

• What exact steps are you taking to use 1Password in Microsoft Edge, and what response are you getting?
    • Is there an error message?
    • Have you opened and unlocked 1Password 8 before launching Microsoft Edge?

Whatever detail you can provide, around those questions or beyond them, will help us understand the nature of the issue you're seeing.

• En1
    En1
    Community Member

I currently can't as this and Duo not working in a stable release has forced me back to version 7.

• Hi @En1:

As I mentioned elsewhere, Duo should be sorted out now. Are you still running into issues with Duo?

Additionally, 1Password 7 and 1Password in your browser are compatible and should be communicating with each other, so we'd be happy to dig into it further with you.

Jack

• En1
    En1
    Community Member

I gave 8 a try again - it does not work in Edge unlike the classic extension together with version 7

Clicking the 1Password icon in the browser just... does nothing and I am then again unable to fill in my passwords

• En1
    En1
    Community Member

After several new version releases and jumping through 50 hoops it works on my work PC now. When upgrading to 8 on my Home PC there is the same problem. The browser extension just says "open 1password" - so I do that, log in to it but the browser extension just sticks at Open 1password.

Pretty infuriating and I can't see why this has been released as a major version in such a state.

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member

I get this issue as well lately on my iPhone 12 pro.

Im on 1password 7 I believe, how comes I've not been updated to 1password 8?

• @telUK

1Password 8 does not yet exist for mobile devices.

• telUK
    telUK
    Community Member

Ah ok, as for the issue that I got same as OP.

It seemed to be ok after fully quitting safari and 1p apps and reopening them.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@telUK Glad to hear that things are working well now! Please feel free to reach out again if you need more help.

This discussion has been closed.