Password Settings are Gone

Pestilence76
Pestilence76
Community Member

When generating a new password I really miss being able to determine how many numbers and symbols are being used in the randomly generated password. Both Numbers and Symbols had their own slider along with a slider for the total number of characters. Now the use of Numbers and Special characters is just a checkbox. Is there anyway to bring these sliders back?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @Pestilence76:

Thanks for asking! We want security to be as easy and as convenient as possible, and it was hard to evaluate how changing each value affected the strength of the generated password. Since we want security to be easy and convenient, we don't want features that take away or de-emphasize from the most important things to make a strong password: length and randomness. We simplified the choices here, so passwords can now be more random (because there's no longer a guaranteed number of digits and/or symbols), and the most important thing that needs to be adjusted (length) is on top & and users can easily see how changing the length affects the strength of their password. You can still add symbols or digits, but how many are added is now randomly determined.

I hope this helps clarify why we made this change!

Jack

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

The new method sometimes generates a password that does not fit the criteria of the website, but it is easy enough either to keep trying or to modify the password manually.

• Pestilence76
    Pestilence76
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

Your explanation makes perfect sense and I completely agree with that logic. However, a majority of my passwords are 15-25 characters long and your random password generator gives me a single number and/or symbol about 80% of the time. I would prefer this to be a higher number and have multiples of each character type when a password is generated. Thank you for listening to your user base and keep up the great work.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Indeed @danco! But if you find specific websites where this does not work out of the box, we would love to hear which one they are so our developers can take a closer look and see if there is anything they can do to update the generator settings ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @Pestilence76!

This discussion has been closed.