8. How to export to .csv???

brettn
brettn
Community Member

Hi all :)

I want to export my vault as a backup to a .csv file.

When I try exporting I get a .1pux file (whatever that is??). Is it still possible to export to .csv? If not it is very disappointing! If yes, how?

Cheers

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11

Comments

• brettn
    brettn
    Community Member

OK. It's a 1password specific backup file. But, if it's no longer possible to export to a format such as a .csv that is a very bad move!! πŸ‘ŽπŸ‘Ž

• tsauer
    tsauer
    Community Member

This is a deal breaker for me. I want to have an escape hatch out of 1password if for whatever reason I can't or don't want to use it anymore. If I am not able to export my data into a format that makes me independent from 1password I am basically taken hostage by the software. Not a fan at all.

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

As far as I know .1pux is the successor of .1pif. 7-zip can "unzip" it. It's unencrypted so it is human readable and will probably end up being supported by other password managers. I just verified and yes, once unzipped there will be an export.data file that you can open in a text editor. Maybe it's not easy to read for the non-initiated but one thing is sure, everything is in clear.

AgileBits will add .1pex later for encrypted export, and I imagine they will eventually add support for other formats. Of course, 1Password 7 still works so it's still possible to export using this until .1pux is supported by other password solutions or a CSV export is integrated.

I'm not too bothered by this at the moment, I know 1Password 8 is quite new and built using completely different technologies, it will take time before some features return.

• PeterG_1P
    edited November 2021

Hi @brettn, thanks for asking this. I'm happy to assist from here.

To start, @J.M is correct: currently in 1Password 8 for Windows you can export in the 1PUX format, which is unencrypted and should not be a big deal for other password managers to import. It is also human-readable, as mentioned.

However, the current export functionality in 1Password 8 also isn't as full-featured as it's going to be - for example, you noticed there isn't a menu option to export to .CSV right now. Our developers are working on further building out that export feature, and our hope and intent is that the result will be more flexible and powerful than what was available in 1Password 7.

In the short term, though, if you want to export to .CSV you'll need to do it from 1Password 7. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and want to stress that we understand you should be able to take your data wherever you want. It's your data, not ours!

If you run into a situation in which you can't export the data you need, using versions 7 or 8, let me know and our team will be happy to assist you personally. We'll make sure there's a solution for you.

• PeterG_1P
    edited November 2021

I should say that this goes for anyone else who needs to export, as well:

• You can still export just the way you used to from 1Password 7
    • You can export to 1PUX in 1Password 8, currently
    • You can expect to see more updates from us on expanded 1Password 8 export functionality ahead πŸ‘€
    • If you have a 1PUX file and need to import, you can do that at 1Password.com
    • If you run into a situation in which for some reason you can't export your data in a way that's useable to you, let us know and we'll help you out. πŸ‘

You will never be "trapped" in 1Password, and we have no interest in ever doing something like that.

• craig78681
    craig78681
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

Do I have to uninstall 1Password 8 and install 1Password 7 to be able to export to CSV? I'm williing to do that but it means I will never go back to version 8 until CSV support is added.

Will 1Password 7 be able to read the passwords saved under 1Password 8?

• Hi @craig78681, if you want to export to CSV you'll need to use 1Password 7 for now. However, as I mentioned, expanded export functionality is something our developers are currently working on, and we'll make announcements as improvements and additions are rolled out.

There shouldn't be any problem with 1Password 7 reading your passwords from 1Password 8, but if you run into any trouble, feel free to contact us at support@1Password.com and we'll help you out. πŸ‘

• craig78681
    craig78681
    Community Member

Peter, I uninstalled 1Password 8 and started the install for 1Password 7. I got this error dialog: "Your 1Password data was last modified by a newer version of 1Password. To use this version, press Reset to backup your database and start over." Does "start over" mean that a 1Password 7 instance would have none of my passwords (there are several hundred)? Would I have to manually recreate each one?

• Hi @craig78681 - sorry to hear about the error message!

Does "start over" mean that a 1Password 7 instance would have none of my passwords (there are several hundred)? Would I have to manually recreate each one?

Fortunately, it doesn't mean anything of the kind. πŸ‘ Our team will be happy to help you with this. Please send us a brief email at support+windows@1Password.com (with a link to this thread, so we know it's you!) and we'll be happy to get things fixed up for you.

• craig78681
    craig78681
    Community Member

5 stars to the 1Password support team! In less than 24 hours I received detailed, easy to follow instructions to move back to version 7 so that I can continue exporting to a CSV file until this feature is included in version 8.

• Estelam
    Estelam
    Community Member

Hi there, I need help. I have over 200 passwords on 1 password through my employer. After 7 years, I am leaving my job for a new job. I need all my passwords. Am I trapped in using 1 password forever???? I tried to export the file and it is encrypted PIF and cannot import it into chrome. Please help!!!

• Hi @Estelam, thanks for asking about this (and by the way, congrats on the new position!).

Your data is absolutely not going to be trapped in 1Password. We understand that your data is yours, and we're happy to help with any export needs you may have.

To catch you up on the current state of things: export functionality is still being built out for 1Password 8. This is because 1Password 8 was built from the ground up (so it's not that there used to be an export and we took it out, rather, a whole new thing had to be built).

In any case, there are a couple options you have for getting your data out as it currently stands:

1. You can export in the 1PIF format, as you mentioned. This is essentially a JSON file that should be readable by other password managers (should their teams put a small amount of work into building import tools that can interpret it). However, we recognize there needs to be more than this - 1PIF was just the first step.

2. Export to CSV - You can do this in 1Password 8 by switching your update channel to the Beta, updating the app, and logging out and back in just to make sure it's refreshed. Once that's done, you can choose export, then select the account you want to export, and pick the CSV file type.

(Given that this change has made it to the Beta, it follows as well that it will be coming relatively soon to a Stable update of 1Password, too - but I don't have a timeline to share on that yet).

1. Optionally, you can also revert to 1Password 7, which can export to CSV or text file. If you'd like to take this option, we can help you with the process of rolling back to 1Password 7 to make it happen.

And 1Password 7 continues to be able to export to CSV as always, so if you're currently on that version, then no changes need be made. You can just export as usual.

We're going to be building out a more robust export feature in 1Password 8 as time goes on, likely including functionality that goes beyond what 1Password 7 can do. As of today, these options are what we can offer - as well as our personal customized assistance with any aspect of the export process you may need.

Your data is yours, and it's yours take to take with you.

• mrstoked
    mrstoked
    Community Member

This is driving me nuts because I want to download all of my passwords so that I can quickly change and add tags to them. I reverted back to 7 to be able to export as a CSV but I can't find the Export function. All I see is an Import function. Where is it?

• mrstoked
    mrstoked
    Community Member

Of course, as soon as I posted, I found an answer on the next Community tab I had opened.

• Glad you've got what you need, @mrstoked - but if there's anything further, let us know and we'll be happy to assist!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Ramst3r

You can export your account vaults as 1PUX, which includes all of your data, as well as your documents.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

You’ve gotta do what’s best for you. Stay safe out there, @Ramst3r .

• Dukat
    Dukat
    Community Member

Hi,
    It's Oct 17, 2022, just under 1 year since the post near the top of this thread saying better export features are coming to version 8.

CSV export still only exports a handful of passport fields with record types like Server and others not being included in the export.

The PUX export may have all data but it's unreadable by a human. I looked up one of my 'Server' records. The name of the record is in 1 part of the file and the various fields are in a different part of the file. I was only able to locate it by looking for unique key words in the record.

Is there a way to import the PUX file into Word, Excel, etc that will make it usable?

I really thought after a full year we'd have export options that were available for years in the prior version.
    Other useful features are also missing that the previous versions had like the ability to drag fields to reposition them, or change a field type without deleting it and being forced to create it at the bottom of the record.

I've been using 1Password for a decade and it's painful to see features and functionality disappear.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Dukat

Is there a way to import the PUX file into Word, Excel, etc that will make it usable?

Can you define what you mean by "usable" ? By that I mean, what is your intended purpose?

• Dukat
    Dukat
    Community Member

Hi there,

I need a way to be able to read my data outside of 1Password.
    It doesn't have to be beautifully formatted, just readable.

One row per record with columns or CSV type delimiters splitting out each field in the record.

For example

I keep backups in case I lose access to 1Password, regardless of reason.

Thank you

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Dukat

See the converter suite's README.

• Dukat
    Dukat
    Community Member

@MrC
    That was a bit complex for me but managed to get it working and it did exactly what I wanted.
    They really need to add this function back into the app to make it easy.

Thanks for pointing me to that, much appreciated!

• Hello @Dukat - I'm happy to hear you able to get this working as you wanted.

And as always, thanks @MrC for helping out here!

This discussion has been closed.