Any tips for logging into the Disqus popup window?

komrad
komrad
Community Member
edited November 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Many sites use Disqus for their comment system, which is annoying as it has a separate username/password from the site you are visiting.

The problem

When I interact with a Disqus discussion, a login window pops up requesting my Disqus credentials. The addon ( I'm using Firefox ) bar is hidden, so I cannot click on the 1password browser addon icon to fill in the password.

The workaround

I open the 1password macOS application , look up my Disqus entry, and copy/password credentials from there.

Is there a better way to handle this?

I used to have autofill turned on in the addon settings, but it tends to get in the way of the Web page content so I have it turned off. It did solve this problem, but it caused other problems.

I open to anything, from modifying the browser to force it to display the 1Password addon on the popup window, to installing another addon that changes popup window behavior, to really, anything that enables me to use 1Password in every browser window , popup window, iframe, and so on.

Environment:

Firefox 89.0.2
1Password: v7.9.1
1Password Extension: 2.1.4

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: 12.0.1

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @komrad!

The addon ( I'm using Firefox ) bar is hidden, so I cannot click on the 1password browser addon icon to fill in the password.

Is there a reason why you are keeping it hidden?

• komrad
    komrad
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

I didn't do anything to hide it, I click on the "login to disqus" link and that window pops up.

It's been a long while since I've done javascript, but I remember being able to customize popup windows when opening them. That's probably what the code used to embed Disqus into a Web page does.

I found a work around for Firefox here . Basically, it makes the window up in a new tab instead of a window. Since my main browser window has the 1Password add-on icon showing, I can use 1Password to login.

Let me know if you are aware of a better way. This works for me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@komrad:

That's a very nice workaround I did not know in Firefox, thank you for sharing with the Community!

I just wanted to suggest dragging and dropping credentials in these cases (this is what I personally do), but if you manage to configure this once and for all, so that you can use the browser extension regularly, I think this is even better :+1:

• komrad
    komrad
    Community Member

How would you drag and drop credentials? I took a stab at it by
    1. navigating to the Disqus login screen - https://disqus.com/profile/login/
    2. opening the 1Password application
    3. Searching for my disqus login
    4. Left clicking and dragging my login card into the "username" field on the login form

I populated my username field with a new (to me ) URL "onepassword7://open_and_fill/(lots of numbers here)"

I'm probably doing it wrong, however.

• @komrad

Are you trying to drag the whole item, or just the credentials? Drag and drop, means you only drag the details you wish to fill. Using disqus.com as an example, it would look like this:

• komrad
    komrad
    Community Member

As I shared in my initial post, the issue was the disqus popup login window was without any menu or addon bar, so I had no way of accessing the 1password addon.

I thought the instructions were to drag the credentials card from the 1Password Mac application into the browser window, which didn't work.

Dragging from the 1Password addon "window" in the appropriate fields does work.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @komrad, do you have a link to a site where we can access the Disqus popup login window? The link previously shared just points us to the website (https://disqus.com/profile/login/) and filling seems to work fine from there. If we can get to the popup window that you're seeing, we can test things out and report any issues we find to our developers.

That said, I'm glad to hear that clicking and dragging from the extension popup window works for you. If you have any further questions about this, please let us know.

• komrad
    komrad
    Community Member

It was too long ago to remember exactly where I was. I'd have to search my browser history in hopes of finding it. It seem to be any embedded disqus comment form that behaved that way. The key was for my disqus account to be logged out. If I still had a session cookie, then I wouldn't get the popup window.

o/c I just saw the behavior again. When using the "Honey" firefox addon that finds discounts on online stores, I had to log in. And it popped up the login window with no way to access 1Password in the browser. However, the click and drag from the 1Password App method worked.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @komrad I added Honey as an add-on in my Firefox browser and when trying to sign in, I am able to save/fill with 1Password: https://cln.sh/iuThiO

When you get that popup and select to log in with an email, can you click on the sign-in fields and see if the 1Password icon appears in them? The icon doesn't appear right away, but if you click in the field, it should show and your login should also appear. Let us know if that doesn't work for you.

This discussion has been closed.