1Password 6.8.9 and MacOS Monterey

philly33flyers
philly33flyers
Community Member
edited October 2021 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Before I upgraded to MacOS Monterey, I wanted to know if 1Password 6.8.9 still works with the OS? I know there's no further development on this version so I don't want to be in a situation where it stops working with the new OS.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Monterey

Comments

• Hi @philly33flyers

We have not formally tested 1Password 6 for Monterey. As you noted that version has been retired and is no longer being developed. That said, I have heard from at least one customer who has had some level of success using 1Password 6 on Monterey. One known caveat is that Safari integration will not work, as modern versions of Safari do not support the extension architecture 1Password 6 has.

If you're interested in discussing how to move forward with a more modern solution I'd encourage you to reach out to our team at support+tradein@1password.com.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• philly33flyers
    philly33flyers
    Community Member

I don't use Safari so I'm not worried about that integration. I'm also not interested in a model where I can't store my passwords in my own vault on my own computer and have to store them on your servers which is the only reason I haven't updated. The subscription fee doesn't even bother me, it's just the fact that there's no option for local vaults with our own method of syncing like there is with version 6.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood @philly33flyers, thank you for the feedback :+1:

• jb510
    jb510
    Community Member

Can opvault's synced via dropbox stil be used on 1Password 7? Like Philly33flyers, it's less about avoiding the subscription pricing than it is being forced into 1password.com password hosting.

• @jb510,

Only if you already have a 1Password 7 license. Further licenses are not being sold.

Ben

• jb510
    jb510
    Community Member

You're no longer selling 1P7 at all or do you mean not selling one time licenses anymore?

Maybe my question was unclear. I find 1P's support docs around stand alone vaults (?) and stand alone licenses (?) all very confusing.

Is 1P7 no longer available?

If is is available, does 1P7 continue to work with opvaults sync'd via dropbox? ie. I don't have to migrate them into 1P.com's cloud service.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2021

@jb510:

You're no longer selling 1P7 at all or do you mean not selling one time licenses anymore?

We are no longer selling licenses, and this includes all versions of the 1Password apps, version 7 included (see later in my reply for more details).

Maybe my question was unclear. I find 1P's support docs around stand alone vaults (?) and stand alone licenses (?) all very confusing.

Do you have questions specifically about standalone vaults and standalone licenses? The question marks in your message make me think that you might have, but it's not clear to me what those questions are. If you want to elaborate, we would love to help clarify!

Is 1P7 no longer available?

It is still available, and it's still the latest stable version :+1: You can download it from our Downloads page.

If is is available, does 1P7 continue to work with opvaults sync'd via dropbox? ie. I don't have to migrate them into 1P.com's cloud service.

Yes, you can continue using your Dropbox vaults in 1Password 7, if you already have them, and if you purchased a license for 1Password 7 in the past. What you cannot do is purchase a new license for 1Password 7, the current option involves only creating a Membership account on 1Password.com. As I wrote above, 1Password 7 is the latest stable version of the app, you just need a 1Password.com account to use it, as we don't sell licenses anymore.

• jb510
    jb510
    Community Member

Do you not consider a subscription to be a license? (this is weird terminology to me, subscriptions are licenses aren't they?)

If I signup today for a subscription, can I use 1P7 and all my existing shared opvaults on dropbox or not? You make it sound like I can't... butI could if I'd signed up to use 1P7 last month...

• kpevev
    kpevev
    Community Member

I am using 1Password 6.8.9 on Monterey and it is working as normal with no problems.

My question is how secure is this version, given there have been no updates in a long time?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jb510:

Do you not consider a subscription to be a license? (this is weird terminology to me, subscriptions are licenses aren't they?)

We call licenses the old one-time purchases, and we call subscription the monthly or annual payments :+1:
    You can consider a subscription a type of license if you wish, but since a license is not a subscription, we preferred to keep the terms separate.

If I signup today for a subscription, can I use 1P7 and all my existing shared opvaults on dropbox or not?

You can, but support for vaults on Dropbox will not be part of the 1Password apps in the future, so it would either have to migrate those to 1Password.com too, or keep using 1Password 7 without upgrading.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2021

@kpevev:

My question is how secure is this version, given there have been no updates in a long time?

It's not as secure as the latest version, exactly because it has not received updates for years now. If you want to see all the security improvements that were added since then, you can look at the changelog for 1Password 7, and search for all entries with the grey SECURITY label to get a better idea :+1:

You can definitely keep using the old version 6 if you wish, but our recommendation is to upgrade to get all the ongoing security improvements.

• macindigo
    macindigo
    Community Member

It's true that iPassword 6 has not had any support for years but not of all the updates in the 1Password 7 change-log are relevant. For example, if you're running a recent macOS, security fixes in the Safari extension are meaningless, as no 1Password 6 extension exists.

Another example; any security vulnerabilities in membership related code or syncing with cloud based services would be irrelevant for stand-alone users who sync using WLAN. Fixes specific to 1Password 7 would not be applicable to 1Password 6.

Insofar as encryption itself is concerned, it's likely that Agilebit's code is very secure. The security vulnerabilities occur when transferring data online or dealing with memberships; things which don't exist in a stand-alone scenario. WLAN syncing is locally based. With the proper precautions, such as enabling stealth mode in the macOS firewall, 1Password 6 is secure, perhaps more-so than later versions.

1Password 6 works well with Monterey; no issues to report. Apple is enhancing the password management features in each iteration of macOS with no Safari extension required.

This discussion has been closed.