1Password password generator from the browser extension : change settings on the fly

Hi,

I'm migrating from Dashlane to 1Password.
2 most important reasons to do so were:

• the fact that Dashlane is moving to a webapp only environment (I still prefer to have an actual desktop app for certain reasons)
  • and the so much more flexible/extended features in 1Password (all the field, template, .... options etc...)

One thing I did like with Dashlane, was the "in-page password generator" which could be customized on the fly for that specific website session
IT would generate the password, based on the default generator settings, but has the option to change those settings for that specific site (in case the default settings generate an unusable password)

It would be nice to have the same feature with 1Password

1Password Version: 7.9.828
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: Windows 10

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @OLCE!

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share this feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

Once again, thank you and have a wonderful day!

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#447

• wills11
    wills11
    Community Member

I second this request!

I'm able to choose the format in the Password Generator—but why can't the suggested passwords in browsers be set to match that format?

My understanding from this prior (and closed) discussion in March was that the next stable version would offer access to formatting by
    "putting the generator right there in the extension when you're on a page that requires a new password"—along with the attached image.

Did those plans change, and/or is there still access to a beta version that offers that feature?

Thanks!

W.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @wills11 ,

We did move things around and made it easier. When you're on a page where 1Password suggests a new strong password, opening the extension from the top right corner of your browser's toolbar will automatically show the generator instead of you having to navigate to it.

Once you're in the generator, change the password's type from "Smart Password" to "Random Password" to reveal the recipe controls (length, digits, symbols). You can also set your own recipe as the default instead of the Smart Password recipe, so the next time you open it, it will automatically show the recipe controls and will suggest your own recipe on every webpage. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.