Why can we not have an explicit statement about 1Password being a subscription-only service?

Comments

• dteare
    edited November 2021

I'm sorry to hear this, Simon. I sincerely hope we can win you and everyone else back some day. 🙏🏻 I wrote about why we love 1Password memberships way back in 2017 and over the years we've become even fonder as we've seen them greatly simply things across the board.

For those working with DoD partners or similar requirements for local vaults, please do make sure you take the time to complete our self-hosting survey so we can better gauge the interest in this feature and how it could fit within your situation.

Take care everybody and stay safe out there. ☮️

++dave;
    1Password Founder

• SDoherty
    SDoherty
    Community Member

"Agilebits should consider releasing a version that has no sharing, collaboration, families, business, cloud requirements nor subscriptions.
    1Password Classic; one vault, syncing to a phone via WLAN and support for all current browsers."

This sums it up for me. I started using 1Password on V3 and bought every license since. Looking in my Vault, I see every one. But I bought those licenses when I wanted to. I was able to hold off for a month or a few if I was holding off on OS updates and didn't need the compatibility, UI enhancements, or features. I've always been someone who uses the basic features. Login, password, a few secure notes, and only lately the 2FA codes.

Unfortunately, I find myself online looking for how to migrate over to iCloud Keychain. But, if I had the option I'd buy a standalone license to be fully compatible with iOS 15 and MacOS 12-13, since I fully accept the need to upgrade software with the upgrade of an OS.

I simply cannot understand or agree with the choice to completely remove the option for a standalone license. It truly seems like a cynical choice that ignores that myself and many others who I've referred to 1Password came in part due to buying a standalone license.

If you wonder why I'm against subscriptions... they pile up.
    Some are 'services', and rightly should have their server overhead covered.
    Netflix, Amazon, iCloud, Backblaze, music streaming services...

Others are 'products', which have jumped on the 'subscription bandwagon', which I abhor:
    Adobe, and now 1Password?

The problem is that I cannot simply pause any of them, for one, two, three, or 6 months. If I don't use or only sparsely use them... if I don't need any new features... it doesn't matter, I have to pay, and the accumulated bills for them all become a burden.

In 2020-2021, when work shut down, I realized subscriptions are good for companies, but bad for people. They're necessary for online services, but not for products.

• 1pMistake
    1pMistake
    Community Member

You know why your membership was more? Because the past 3 years you HID the license page. I had to google, and go on reddit to find where you had hidden the license only page when I was considering 1Password 7 before you went membership only. Seriously, unethical doing this without emailing all past license members. Also poor show not giving proper time, like how about 6 month warning? We are busy people like yourself. I would also like the stats for how many signed up for the 14 day trial and forgot to cancel, You've obviously gone about this wrong without consulting your user base and just making assumptions.

• 1pMistake
    1pMistake
    Community Member

@SDoherty Agilebits listen to him, and change your ways! Wow it's more work, We all have a lot of work to do, what's your point? Oh I see, you prefer the game where you make more money by being more sly and scummy? And as the person above stated, you make lives worse for others by taking this new approach, especially with covid not going anywhere. You can't pay one month and that's it, you're screwed. You've just jumped on the subscription bandwagon, which is more expensive long term than licenses.

• idotsavant
    idotsavant
    Community Member

10+ years paid user of individual license. Won't subscribe. If @dteare was honest he would've provided open survey not hide behind the 'overwhelming subscription' nonsense. I loved your white papers and personally recruited numerous people to stand alone licensing model which was obscurely hidden.

Dear @dteare, the hardest part of being wrong is thinking you are right.

• csonni
    csonni
    Community Member

What befuddles me on this whole issue is my lack of trust with anything considered secure, especially nowadays with all the breaches taking place. I store absolutely everything in 1Password which, in the wrong hands, could cause me terrible trouble down the road. Being 60, I really am hesitant to upload all my sensitive data to an online service which, secure as it is, could be breached and all my data leaked into criminal hands. Not something I want to entertain getting into my senior years. Not sure how to get over this uneasiness, but, it may mean me jumping ship with 1Password and finding an alternate solution. Everyone I talk to advises me NOT to trust my data to any online service.

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member

@csonni

At 80 I have received several messages/letters about data breaches. A couple gave free 1 year monitoring services. I might do a subscription but not if I am forced to use the 1PW cloud. If 1PW is so sure of their security then give me a free $10M insurance policy against a breach.

• csonni
    csonni
    Community Member

These might serve as a little something to calm such fears but....I'm still not convinced.
    https://support.1password.com/security-assessments/
    https://support.1password.com/1password-security/

• howdytom
    howdytom
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

I no longer trust Agilebits. Who knows how long they would support 1Password with local vaults, anyways. Their delay on responding shows clearly there is not priority to get us back.

Thus, I have switched to KeeWeb. It is not as versatile as 1Password, but does its job. All files remain locally + Yubikey support.

• csonni
    csonni
    Community Member

Does the free version of LastPass store in the Cloud or on the device?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

I think LastPass is not able to use local vaults. But I’m not 100% sure.

But Enpass does and has Wi-Fi Sync to other devices. So there is no cloud involved if you don’t want to.

• csonni
    csonni
    Community Member

So, let me get this straight. Agilebits isn’t booting non-conformers out altogether? Can I stick with 1Password 7 and keep with the standalone vault? I love how 1Password works for me yet I don’t believe I’ll move to the membership model. I realize that any new versions may eventually break when MadOS is updated. Syncing to my devices is a must. Right now I use syncing over wifi, but, if that breaks, I’ll have to jump ship altogether.

• csonni
    csonni
    Community Member

Enpass advertises “Offline storage for total peace of mind.” I like that. Although, they could also shift to what’s most popular.

• csonni
    csonni
    Community Member

But now I’m seeing that, for syncing to another device with Enpass, it’ll have to be online storage.

• csonni
    csonni
    Community Member

From A review on Enpass: “ As we’ve mentioned, Enpass password manager does not upload your vaults or data anywhere. It’s local storage only. That’s great if you’re only using your passwords on one device, but chances are you will need them on multiple platforms, in which case you will have to sync.”

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Just read here:
    https://www.enpass.io/blog/general/introducing-enpass-cloudless-sync/

Vaults are local and you could use your own cloud. Or since the middle of the year you are able to sync via Wi-Fi Sync. It works great, believe me. ;)

• csonni
    csonni
    Community Member

That’s assuring. Thank you.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Glad I could help. ;)

Actually, I'm still with 1Password. But from time to time I'm testing a lot of other password managers. And in case of leaving 1Password I know some other alternatives meeting my needs. :)

• csonni
    csonni
    Community Member

Can anyone clarify what will the outcome be for standalone users? Is 1Password standalone going to become non-existent for present users?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

If you want to use version 8 you are forced to use a membership and local vaults are not supported anymore.

You can stay with version 7 and use your local vaults as long as version 7 is working on your OS. And if you want to stay with version 7 you have to use the classic extension in your browser because the new 1Password in the browser extension is also not supporting local vaults.

• csonni
    csonni
    Community Member

I’ll stick with version 7 as long as I’m able.

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
  • DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@csonni

I’ll stick with version 7 as long as I’m able.

That's a good choice. ;)

• svsmailus
    svsmailus
    Community Member

My Family subscription expires in January, we will not be renewing.

Passwords unlock all of the important things in our lives. To place them in a website or even to entrust them to other people is crazy in my opinion. I've used local vaults the entire time and this has been great. As secure as 1 Password claims to be it cannot mitigate against bad players in their company or the resourcefulness of hackers who have hacked every government in existence. Removing local vaults moves us away of our data being secure. There are even growing questions about how secure https is currently. There is not a chance that I'm handing 1 Password all my data encrypted or not. I would advise anyone thinking of doing this to spend some time researching the web before making that step. What will you lose if your passwords are compromised? I dread to think.

Thank you 1 Password for the past many years of 1 Password, but I couldn't disagree more in the direction you're going. Whilst I appreciate you need to generate an income this move does not take data in a more secure direction in my opinion.

• MikDev
    MikDev
    Community Member

Dear Dave

Thank You for explaining all the background details about 1Password v8.

Of course I do understand Your decision to change to a subscription based model for economic reasons incl. investors interests. If 90% of your customers go for this, it's absolutely the right decision.

However by going Cloud only for 1Password data storing after 15 years and abruptly ending support in v.8 of local storage methods (Standalone Vaults, local WLAN sync) you usher in a paradigm shift for security sensitive customers.

As we experience with Log4j again this days, there will always be the next vulnerability nobody had previously anticipated.

There are many customers not willing or allowed by law, to store their most sensitive data on public clouds. Are you willing giving them up ? What about the possibility of a subscription but with local storage (Vault was great) or offering an "On Premise" server version ?

In any case Thank You for 15 years of a great product & stellar support.

Mik

• Thanks Mik. And thank you to everyone else for sharing your thoughts as well. 🤗

You're certainly right that moving from local vaults to managed vaults is indeed a paradigm shift. Moving exclusively to a subscription model is another paradigm shift inherent in 1Password 8 for those who still have a license as well. Both of these are quite large shifts and so we took things very slowly so we'd have the time to collect the data needed to make an informed decision and provide customers time to get familiar with our new offerings.

I can see how you might think of this as an "abrupt" change, but for those of us living and breathing 1Password every day it's quite the opposite. As I wrote about at length in my earlier comment, we invested a lot of time in 1Password 7 to ensure it supported each model. 1Password 7 was released over 3½ years ago now, and of course if you include the development time as well, we've been working on this for a very long time now.

As I wrote in Why We Love 1Password Memeberships 4½ years ago, we continued to support local vaults in 1Password 7 because we knew that not everyone was ready to make the jump. A lot has changed since then, both in terms of people's acceptance of subscriptions and perception of cloud services, but also in terms of our software stack and architecture. With the complete rewrite of 1Password 8 it was the ideal time to focus on the features that the majority of customers use and to ensure we'd be ready to support all the new features we've been dreaming about.

Local vaults simply didn't fit. They're tremendously different in almost every way, and most importantly, we don't use them ourselves anymore. I really should avoid rehashing my earlier essay, but suffice it to say it was time to move on.

With that said, we know that not everyone will be able to come join us in this brave new world. While local vaults the way they were implemented will not be coming back, there is potential middle ground with a simplified self-hosted service. While this is still a pie-in-the-sky idea as there's a ton of work to do in order to make this possible, we're gathering information from folks like you on whether this is something you would find useful, and if so, how you would expect it to work. You can participate in our survey here:

Self-hosted 1Password kick-starter

Thanks again for the detailed feedback. Take care, stay safe out there, and enjoy the rest of the year. 🙏

++dave;

• JorgeM
    JorgeM
    Community Member

Well, all and a lot has been said. I´m leaving too. No subscriptions or cloud for me. Goodbye 1P, after 9 or 10 years. It was great. There must be something out there as good.

• Nylon
    Nylon
    Community Member

I've been a 1Password customer for umpteen years and I am highly skeptical of the new direction both from a security point of view (cloud) and from a consumer point of view (forced subscription).

From the security end 1Password should have a look at the following thread regarding potential LastPass master password data breach: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=29705957. I'm not sure how a company who's primary business is managing passwords does not understand that local vaults are inherently more secure than keeping things in the cloud. The option should be maintained.

As a consumer I have been happy to shell out the full (perpetual license cost) for every released version of 1Password and would be happy to do so again. While I understand the need to keep the bean counters happy with regard to ongoing quarterly revenue, for those that wish to pay full price for a license should be allowed to do so as has been the case in the past.

That is all.

This discussion has been closed.