1Password 8 for Windows has launched! πŸŽ‰

Hello everybody, πŸ‘‹πŸΌ

Today is the big day: 1Password 8 for Windows has been officially released! 🎊

Check out our official announcement post (or our dark mode edition if you prefer 😎) for all the details.

Releases like this don’t just happen. They’re the result of a lot of hard work, many late nights, and a ton of thoughtful feedback from you.

From all of us here at 1Password, thank you all so so much for being part of our beta family. πŸ€— Your feedback and encouragement since announcing the early access in June has been invaluable.

We’d love to give everyone who helped put 1Password 8 for Windows through its paces a special gift to show our appreciation. I’m light on specifics as we are still working through the details but be sure to look for an email from us in the next week or three to find your surprise. 🎁

With 1Password 8 for Windows now officially launched, you may be wondering if you should stay on the beta channel. I hope you do and invite you to stick around.

As excited as we are for today’s launch, it’s simply one step in our journey. A mighty big step, but a step nonetheless. We have a ton of additional new features and improvements planned for Windows and we’d love for you to continue being the first to try them.

Thanks again, take care, and stay safe out there. β€οΈπŸ™

++dave;

Comments

• Oh, I forgot to highlight some cool things we're doing this week. From the announcement post:

The development team and I will also be hosting an AMA this Thursday, November 18th at 1PM Eastern. We always have a lot of fun with these and I love giving out gold for questions, along with bestowing the Ternion All-Powerful award upon the best question. πŸ’ͺ

If listening is more your style, our product director Mitch Cohen has you covered. Mitch is hosting our Twitter Space tonight at 8PM Eastern to talk all things Windows and 1Password 8. He's also hosting a Get to Know 1Password 8 for Windows webinar on Tuesday, November 23rd at 11AM Eastern. Stop on by!

Hope to see you there. πŸ‘‹

++dave;

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Since all versions share common code: does the Windows version have the same bugs as the macOS version still has?

If not, congratulations with this release! However, if it does have the same bugs, why did you release now?

• @XIII

Having a common "core" makes it much more feasible to roll out a consistent experience across all of our platforms. If there are bugs in that core, it is likely that those bugs would be exposed on all platforms. That said, there is a fair bit of platform specific code still, particularly for things like Touch ID vs Windows Hello, and other system-specific integrations.

why did you release now?

We reached a point where the 1Password 8 for Windows app provided an overall better experience for most users than the 1Password 7 for Windows app. As Dave mentioned in another thread: "there's still plenty of work left to do and many amazing things to create. This really is just one step on our path and with your help we'll continue pushing things forward. There's a Mac release to tackle in the new year, better search is always needed, and just last week I was sorely in need of the ability to reorder fields in one of my items. Thankfully our job is never done. :)"

Thank you for all of your input so far!

Ben

• faubt
    faubt
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

With 1Password 8 for Windows now officially launched, you may be wondering if you should stay on the beta channel. I hope you do and invite you to stick around.

To confirm, if I wish to remain in a beta channel, I take no action on the machine I was using 1Password 8 Beta on? Including the browser extension? Firefox if that matters. My laptop is my bleeding edge machine (right down to daily running Windows Insider Dev) so I would be happy to stay.

And is my data at risk if my other devices (Windows release channel, iOS) remain on the public releases but I continue to use beta on one device?

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member

@faubt You can confirm which release channel you are on in 1Password's preferences, under advanced.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

Congratulations! Thank you for the hard work on the completely new client. I know it's quite a challenge to rebuild an existing application to just reach the existing feature set, when in fact you set out to extend the existing one.

I specifically congratulate you to the decision to create the same desktop app for all platforms. As pure Windows user who started using 1Password half a year ago due to some recommendation, I missed the fact 1Password 7 is a Apple-first app and the Windows desktop app is lacking in comparison to the Apple app (and probably the Android app as well, which I use as well, in comparison to the ios app). I would not have chosen 1Password, if I had known that. The Windows v8 client is much more than just a promise to do better and to support Windows as equal and not as second-order system, so I can continue my subscription.

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member

Excellent points @Tertius3. 1Password 8 makes it clear that Windows is a first-class citizen to AB. Same for the new Linux app. Before they were clearly a "Mac first" company. I'm sure some Mac-only users will be upset they are no longer treated better than everyone else, but those of us who use multiple devices really appreciate the efforts.

• Thanks everyone! πŸ€—

Regarding your question specifically @faubt, you're right, to stay on the beta channel no action is needed. Once the next beta is released you should be updated to it automatically. There's also no worries about mixing and matching betas and stable releases across platforms.

++dave;

• Oh I forgot to ask, can y'all confirm that you're still on the Beta channel under Settings > Advanced > release channel? That's the magic that will keep you on the betas.

++dave;

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I specifically congratulate you to the decision to create the same desktop app for all platforms

and

I'm sure some Mac-only users will be upset they are no longer treated better than everyone else, but those of us who use multiple devices really appreciate the efforts.

I use 1Password on macOS, iOS, iPadOS, and Windows. For me it feels like the common 1Password UI/UX (company branding/marketing?) is more important to AgileBits than the native experience (the user) and I'm still upset about this.

However, I have to admit that v8 has the potential to become better than v7 on Windows (and maybe it already is).

Not so sure about the macOS version, but I'll continue using the Beta/Nightly there to see whether things improve (hope so!).

• jasonpursell
    jasonpursell
    Community Member

Thank you for all the hard work and congratulations on the release. My question is will the current windows app (v7) auto update to version 8 or do we need to manually update?
    Thank you,
    Jason

• Hi @jasonpursell:

Thank you for your kind words on the launch of 1Password 8 for Windows! :chuffed: 1Password 7 for Windows will not automatically update and is an entirely separate installer available for download.

Jack

• jasonpursell
    jasonpursell
    Community Member

Cool. I'll upgrade tonight. By the way, will you have some kind of in-app "ad" or an email to let current customers know that there is a new version to install? I didn't even know there was a new version until I saw it on a tech website.

• Hi @jasonpursell, we can't wait to hear about your experience with it!

We will indeed be further publicizing this new release, although I'm not sure of all the specifics. But more will be coming! πŸ˜ƒ

• benwade
    benwade
    Community Member

Will it be possible to personalize "copy password" keyboard shortcut from "Quick Access" window? It is currently ctrl+shift+c and would like to set it as ctrl+c since mostly the password is need to be copied rather than username.

thanks.

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

Congrats.

As a predominant Windows user during the day, that uses macOS in between, 1PW 7 on Windows was quite horrible in comparison to the Mac version.

Now I actually prefer 1PW8 on Windows over Mac. Quick access is a god send when working on multiple customer environments.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Congratulations from me too! You did a great job with the new version 8. I'm still on the beta channel to test new releases a little earlier.

Thanks to all of you! :+1:

• Thank you everyone! πŸ€—

++dave;

• Hello everyone, πŸ‘‹

I forgot to ask earlier: now that we have a new beta published y'all should have been automatically updated to it. Can you please confirm that happened smoothly?

Thanks!

++dave;

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

I again changed to the nightly channel after release, and almost every day at least one nightly comes in. No issue so far. If it comes to stability issues, even your nightlies are stable like releases. I don't remember even a single app crash since I started using 1Password.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

I'm running 80500017-BETA. The update itself worked. But there are some issues, so I think about switching to NIGHTLY-channel again and hope that the issues already fixed. But as I read in the forum, they are not fixed. Looking forward to the next beta release. :)

This discussion has been closed.