Update Existing not working correctly!

Options
ajahn
ajahn
Community Member
edited November 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I've been updating to try and use stronger passwords. A weird thing is happening. I have a Login item called "Etsy" with a username (my email) and password. I go to etsy.com and click the 1password icon in my browser (Chrome). The Etsy item shows up and I click Autofill and it does its thing and I log in Next I change the password on the etsy.com site. I enter my current password, then I right-click on the new password field and select 1password, which takes me to the mini window off the browser. I click on generate password, then click "Save and Copy". It pasts the new generated password in the "New Password" and the "Confirm New Password" fields. I click the Change Password button and I get the 1Password dialog to save, and I select Save Existing (and it shows the Etsy item with my emails address), so I know it is my item. I then go back to the Etsy item in 1Password and my old password is still there (not the new generated password). After changing the password, Etsy puts me on the login screen. I click on the mini icon in the browser and I see the following:

It looks like it created a "password" item with the newly generated password. Where is my Etsy item? I then start typing "Et" and the Etsy item shows up

What is going on? This has happened twice today with different websites and accounts.
Why didn't my Etsy login item not get updated? And what is this new password item? I can see that the www.etsy.com password item was just created. Is this right? Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6

Comments

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

I was able to reproduce this issue on the USPS.com website.
    First off, shouldn't I see the 1password icon on the password text fields? This is what I see on the USPS.com website:

Does that look right? I can fill in the Current Password using the autofill for that 1password item using the mini extension, but how should I use the password generator to add a new generated password? But even if I just create a new password myself, once I apply the changes, a popup comes up asking me to update the "existing" password in 1password. When I do that, the password does not get updated. This is not good. Hopefully, I'm doing something wrong...
    Please help!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2021
    Options

Hey @ajahn ,
    That's quite strange.

The new password item that is created is a failsafe for situations where the new password isn't saved in the login item itself, so I'm glad that works.
    However, I'd like to test this with you on a different website (our own test website) and see if the same issue occurs. Can you please try this:

1. Go to our test website: https://fill.dev/form/registration-username
    2. Fill in a made-up username and let 1Password autofill a new strong password, then send the form and save it as a new login.
    3. Go to the website again, fill in your username and try generating a new password from the extension's icon. Send the form and update the existing login.

Does the login entry contain the new password or is it still showing the old one?

ref: dev/core/core#3948

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_yaron ,
    Thanks for the help. I figured you guys had a test site for this.
    Well, I followed your instructions and it appears to work. Initially, it looks like Chrome tried to suggest a new password. Instead, I clicked on the 1password button in the browser, logged in, clicked on Generate Password, clicked on "Save and Copy". It filled both password fields for me and I clicked "Register". That popped up the dialog asking me to save that login. I then went back and tried signing in and was able to find the new login and AutoFill. Looks like it worked. I guess I need to test the password change option. How can I do that?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @ajahn ,
    Thanks for the update.

If Chrome is still suggesting stuff, we strongly recommend you disable it and only leave 1Password as the autofill provider in your browser: https://support.1password.com/disable-browser-password-manager/

The link I sent to our test page functions as both a registration page and a change password page so the tests are the same. If you'd like to test it live, feel free to do so on any website where you have an account and change your password there, see if the flow works the same :)

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried the "fill.dev" site and used the password generator button and changed the password. It allowed me to update "existent" and worked fine. There was one weird thing that happened. After changing the password, I clicked on the Login -> Simple at the top to get to a sign-in page. I then clicked on the 1passowrd icon in the browser and it didn't take me to the password suggestion. It took me to the password item that was created when I clicked on generate password. I had to start typing the login name of my saved password "Test Autofill" to show it. Maybe a minor nit? Things appear to be working though. It just seems a little confusing when you click on the "+ Generate Password" button because it creates a password item. Does that make sense?

• Hi @ajahn:

With 1Password in the browser unlocked, (and "Show autofill menu on field focus" enabled in Settings) you should be prompted to generate a password in-line on the page, without needing to open the 1Password pop-up, like so:

Additionally, in the 1Password pop-up, if the dropdown is set to Suggestions, you should see relevant items for the site you're on:

Glad to hear you're enjoying getting to know a 1Password account so much! :smile:

Jack

This discussion has been closed.