Signing up for 1PW Membership - will I also have a standalone vault with Smart Folders?

Options
Superfandominatrix
Superfandominatrix
Community Member
edited November 2021 in Mac

I am interested in signing up for 1Password membership but based on a recent support thread, I was told that membership vaults do not include Smart Folders. If I sign up for 1pw membership, will I be able to keep using the current desktop app that has a standalone vault with defined Smart Folders while also having the 1Password membership? While keeping both the standalone and membership in sync?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Superfandominatrix:

There's a few separate questions in here:

• There's no way to keep your 1Password account vault and a standalone vault in sync with each other.
    • While 1Password accounts don't support Smart Folders, the same search functionality is still available. You can create a search with the same parameters you use to create a smart folder, it just can't be saved for reuse.

As @Ben mentioned in your previous thread, standalone vaults will not be a part of 1Password in future versions, so hopefully we can build some sort of saved search / smart folder replacement that works with our membership service.

Jack

• Superfandominatrix
    Options

@jack.platten I have a how-to question. For example, I have the following tags:

phone/000-000-0001
    phone/000-000-0002
    phone/000-000-0003
    phone/none

How and where in 1Password membership version do I create and enter the following search syntax:

SELECT *
    FROM PRIMARYVAULT
    WHERE tag <> phone/000-000-0001
    AND tag <> phone/000-000-0002
    AND tag <> phone/000-000-0003
    AND tag <> phone/none

This SQL example is essentially what I've created in a Smart Folder to find records without a phone tag. If I can create an unsaved search query that results in the same output, I can migrate to 1PW membership. I don't mind "saving" the search parameters offline in a note somewhere. But the underlying search capability must be in the new platform somewhere to allow me to migrate.

Thanks in advance~

• Hi @Superfandominatrix:

I've just had a quick discussion internally, with a vault selected, and opening search from a tag, this search query should give you what you're looking for.

Jack

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

@jack.platten thank you. so from the looks of it, the configuration menu screen for Smart Folders still exists in 1PW membership, it's just that you can't save the menu inputs?

Some time ago, on the Windows flavor of 1PW, maybe on v3 or v4, , there was the capability of searching for tags in the search field with some syntax like "tag::000-000-0001". This would return a list of the selected items that had this tag applied. Is it still possible to search for a specific tag in 1PW membership in that fashion? If yes, is there a search field syntax where you can enter a string like "-tag::000-000-0001 -tag::000-000-0002 -tag::000-000-0003 -tag::none"? This would kind of work like Gmail's label search syntax where you can exclude emails with a minus sign in front of the applied label.

What I'm trying to get at is a way of saving some search criteria like "-tag::000-000-0001 -tag::000-000-0002 -tag::000-000-0003 -tag::none" in a OneNote or wherever, then simply copy paste that criteria into a search field to return the desired results. Having to reconfigure and reconfigure and reconfigure that configuration menu time after time would be less than ideal. Some of my saved Smart Folders have more like 20 parameters, and I don't think I can reliably recreate a saved Smart Folder query time after time fiddling around with the search configuration menu.

Final question, is it possible to export the tagging structure out of 1PW like in a json file?

• Superfandominatrix
    Options

sorry for the flurry of questions. just trying to shoehorn my workflow into the changes coming down the pipe.

would it possible to screenshot the search criteria options for the Tag field in 1pw membership version? part of the reason i'm making these crazy saved search queries is that the criteria options for the field Tag are limited. if the 1pw membership platform has expanded criteria types like "does not begin with" or "does not contain" (1pw standalone v7.9.1 does not have these options) I can make a much simplified query. repeating the same task (identifying records without a defined phone number) would not depend on crazy long exclusion search criteria. not selecting a single consistent tag pattern is much cleaner than excluding 20 different defined tags.

here's the tag field criteria options in v7.9.1

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Superfandominatrix

I am so sorry for the incredibly delayed response here. I understand your concern about having to re-build the search each time, particularly for more complex searches. We don't have this yet, but we do have some ideas for 1Password 8 which may help here. Fingers crossed.

Final question, is it possible to export the tagging structure out of 1PW like in a json file?

Tags exist as part of the metadata for each item, rather than having their own separate definition. The 1Password app builds out the tags structure that it shows in the sidebar by reading the metadata on your items. As such there isn't any structure to export to JSON. If you were to export your items to a 1PIF that would contain the (per-item) tag-related metadata in a JSON-like format.

would it possible to screenshot the search criteria options for the Tag field in 1pw membership version?

With 1Password 7 it isn't different from what you've posted. The search options for tags are the same regardless of membership/standalone. 1Password 8, which is currently in Early Access for Mac, has an entirely different search function. It doesn't have the advanced search section like v7 does, at least not yet.

Ben

• Superfandominatrix
    Options

@Ben thank you for the reply, I do appreciate it.

At this point, I've given up with migration off of v7. Based on my preliminary investigation, a simple .csv export of "Title" plus "Tags" can be imported into something like Python etc., and saved queries built around that limited amount of vault entry data. Assuming v8 has the same .csv structure, that would be the work around. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to deal with making a separate tool for this purpose right now. We will be in a race, who gets around to building a feature - 1PW sorting out saved searches or me building an external export and querying tool.

• Ben
    Options

You're welcome. I wish I had more concrete plans to share but we're still defining the roadmap for v8 and beyond.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.