5 second delay with restoring 1Password from system tray

Options

If 1Password is minimized to the system tray, clicking the system tray icon or pressing the corresponding hotkey, there is a delay of 3-5 seconds without any response and till the desktop app actually appears. This is not very convenient, because you never know if you pressed the correct hotkey or clicked the correct icon - you need to wait.
If you minimize 1Password and immediately again click the tray icon, the delay is shorter. But if 1Password wasn't used for some minutes or an hour, restoring takes these 3-5 seconds.

On the other hand, pressing CTRL-SHIFT+Space for quick access instantly brings up the quick access search bar. No delay at all. Always.

There is also a very inconvenient delay of about 1 second if you double-click an entry in 1Password to open it in a new window. I really expect to open a readonly window of some entry to open instantly.

This is not a new behavior. It was always this way.

I have a moderately powerful computer (i7-6700k) with enough RAM (16 GB), so it's probably not because of a bottleneck with my hardware. As I said: Quick access always opens instantly, so there's proof that it's possible to open a dialog instantly, even if the app was minimized for hours.

A similar annoying delay with no response happens if 1Password tells that there is an update pending. If I click the button to update, there is no immediate response that I clicked something, but 3-5 seconds later 1Password vanishes and the update will take place. I expect some immediate response that my click was successful. Currently, there is no indication in the GUI I even clicked. Usually, buttons get grayed out if they are clicked.

1Password Version: 80500018 nightly
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

I'm on the lastest beta (80500017) with the same CPU, amount of RAM and OS and I did exactly what you did. Everything is instant in my case, even bringing up the app from the tray. the app was in the tray for 30 minutes or more I think. OS is on a Crucial MX100 SSD if I recall correctly.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting. To completely initialize the app to defaults, I uninstalled 1Password and removed the 1Password directory %appdata%\Local. Then reinstalled and logged in for the 1st time again and didn't change any configuration option. But the behavior of the app didn't change - the delay is still there.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

No problems here with version 80500017-BETA in Windows 11. After clicking the systray icon, 1Password instantly opens up.

I'm using an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X and 32 GB RAM.

• Ben
    Options

Hey folks!

Our logging should be able to capture what the app is chewing on during the delay. @Tertius3 can you please send us a diagnostic report?

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

Ben

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

This is the id I got: [#YFV-69686-576]

• Hi @Tertius3, thanks for getting back to us with the support ID. We'll be with you soon. :)

ref: YFV-69686-576

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

This issue seems to be fixed with the latest Nightly (80800130). Until before that, delay between clicking the system tray icon and 1Password actually showing up as window was at least 1 second, usually 2 seconds, and if 1Password was minimized for a longer time, 3 and more seconds (I apologize for exaggerating the number of seconds in my OP slightly, but I was angry then and ever since about that delay).
    Opening secondary window such as the settings window and the details window also had a delay of at least 1 second.

With the current nightly, there is an (almost) immediate response now. You click, an the window appears. It's still not instant and still feels a bit sluggish, but reasonably fast and perhaps 1/4s - 1/2s between click and the window fully present.

• Thank you for letting us know, @Tertius3 - and it's gratifying to hear that the improvements have made a difference in your experience!

This discussion has been closed.