What if I already have 1password for myself, but my company is looking into it as well?

I work for a small IT company in my town (6 employees total) and 3 of us have our personal 1password accounts. Something we pay for personally. At work, we're needing a password manager to help us to better keep track of it, especially when someone changes the password to something. The other (3) employees do not have a 1password account.

Is this how a business account works - Create account under business email. Create a shared vault on the business side, create logins for all 6 employees? Do I share that vault with people that have an account? Do I just add that business vault to my personal 1password? Does my boss get charged for that seat as I already have a paid personal 1password account? and do the other 3 individuals without a 1 password account automatically have an account when we add them?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @milluhgram!

Create a shared vault on the business side, create logins for all 6 employees?

Correct :+1:

Do I share that vault with people that have an account?

Once you have invited your Team members, you can share a vault with any of them, regardless of whether they had a personal account before or not.

Do I just add that business vault to my personal 1password?

Correct:

How to use multiple accounts

Does my boss get charged for that seat as I already have a paid personal 1password account?

Yes, the boss will be charged for each user account. It should also be noted though that using a Business account would give all of you a free Families account too:

Get a free 1Password Families membership when you use 1Password Business

and do the other 3 individuals without a 1 password account automatically have an account when we add them?

Yes :)

• milluhgram
    milluhgram
    Community Member

Thank you for your response! We are currently looking at the teams plan. When we add a user that doesn’t have a 1Password account. Is that considered a guest account for that user? Also, do they get a personal 1Password account if the vault is shared with them?

• @milluhgram

Employees you invite to the business membership would be team members, not guests. Guests have limited access, and are counted separately from team members for billing purposes. They do not get the free 1Password Families membership that team members can. You can read more about guests and what one might use them for here:

Share with guests in your team

The 1Password Families membership for each team member is only included at the 1Password Business level. It is not part of the 1Password Teams offering.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• milluhgram
    milluhgram
    Community Member

@Ben - Okay, so the 1Password for business would work for us rather than the teams for $19.95/month? With the business package it basically allows us to manage our employees as well provide a personal 1password account to them. Where the teams package only allows them a shared vault and doesn't get them a personal vault?

• Okay, so the 1Password for business would work for us rather than the teams for $19.95/month? With the business package it basically allows us to manage our employees as well provide a personal 1password account to them.

Correct; 1Password Business includes an entirely separate 1Password Families membership for each team member, yes. The only link between the 1Password Families membership and the 1Password Business membership is for billing purposes. Business admins can't see any details about the 1Password Families memberships of their employees or remove the employee's access to the family membership. If the business removes the employee from their business membership, the employee will have to pick up their own billing, but will otherwise retain access to the personal data they've stored inside the 1Password Families membership.

Where the teams package only allows them a shared vault and doesn't get them a personal vault?

They would have their own unique vault within the 1Password Teams membership which nobody else has access, but it would still be part of the business. The owner of the company can remove them (and their access to their personal passwords) at any time. As such we do not recommend storing data that doesn't belong to the business inside a membership that does.

Ben

• milluhgram
    milluhgram
    Community Member

@Ben Okay, so for the business account package at 7.95 per user. We would purchase all 6 users and then share the vault with the employees that already have an account?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@milluhgram:

Yes, once you have invited every user to the Business account, you can share a vault with them as you see fit:

Create and share vaults

This discussion has been closed.