Bad search experience - 1Password v8

klmnbrt3
klmnbrt3
Community Member

The search changes was not very appealing, at least for me, as I can't find terms on Sections or Labels. I had to keep a v7 install so I can find my items.

Also, if inside a vault, seems counterintuitive the extra ctrl+f for vault specific search, like the ctrl+enter for result list when in full desktop mode.

There are others Search related questions for v8, but not addressing all the points reported here.
Regards.

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 11

Comments

• theredmoose
    theredmoose
    Community Member

I am unable to search in the notes and other sections. Is this expected? If not, is it to be rolled out soon? Can roll back to v7? I do like the new look and features like collections and opening the app directly from the tray on a double click. Thank you.

• Hi @klmnbrt3 and @theredmoose, thanks for your feedback here. The search feature is definitely an area of ongoing development here, so what's in place today will not necessarily always be "the way it is."

We've had a number of customer requests for increased flexibility in this area - including the ability to search terms in an item's sections, as you mentioned @klmnbrt3 - and I will make sure to add your comments here to our existing discussion of how we can continue to develop a better search.

Thanks for your input, and for helping us continue to improve! 😃

ref: dev/core/core#7775

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

Searching for text labels makes sense, if you're searching for your bank account number, for example. I know my bank accounts contain a field called "IBAN" with the account number, so I'd like to search for "IBAN" to get all entries that contain an IBAN number (I have more than one bank accounts).
    I can of course also directly search for the bank name, but searching for IBAN is a lot more intuitive and would return better results, because I have multiple entries for the same bank, one contains the IBAN, others not.

It doesn't make sense to search for common labels that appear in almost every entry like "username", "password" or "email", but searching for custom labels like this would be useful.

• klmnbrt3
    klmnbrt3
    Community Member

Label search was possible on v7, i've organized and using it alot, quite lost on finding my items now on v8.
    Most softwares relying heavily on indexing/search for navigation, it sure looks like as a drawback for 1p.

Hope they fix quick. @PeterG_1P if any update/eta on that, i'll be glad to know about.
    Thanks all.

• glipglop
    glipglop
    Community Member

the poor search functionality compared to v7 as mentioned above makes me regret installing v8.

• Hi @klmnbrt3 and @glipglop, thanks for your additional feedback here.

While we can't provide an eta on this type of update, as @PeterG_1P mentioned, the work around improved search functionality is ongoing. Please keep an eye on our Windows Release Notes for updates and improvements add to 1Password for Windows: https://releases.1password.com/windows/

Have a great day!

• theredmoose
    theredmoose
    Community Member

Quick response to my previous thoughts....

1) WINDOWS - Searching of the NOTES section on Windows version 8.4.1 seems to be working much better. Well, it works period. Which is awesome , thank you devs!

2) ANDROID - Still hoping for the ability to search notes section on here. Bump on your next agile meeting.. ;-)

• Thanks @theredmoose. We do appreciate the feedback!

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

As long as search doesn't do substring search like all 1PW versions before and almost all other apps that have search functionality it's completely useless for me. Hopefully the iOS app that still has a working search will not get this substandard, broken implementation.

• tmoehle
    tmoehle
    Community Member

I just tried upgrading to 1PW8 and one thing that is driving me insane is the new search behaviour. In 1PW7, when you would hit return after typing a few characters of what you're looking for, it would simply show a list of all items that contain the string. Now, you jump to the first item that 1PW8 seems fit (I don't know how it makes the determination) and the list shows just all vault items, not a reduced list of those that match the search string. The way to get back to the old behavior is to hit the "arrow up" key before you hit return or to hit CTRL+Return. I understand why one might want new behavior (if the majority of your items can be found by an easy search string that delivers exactly 1 result), but if that is not the case it would be far easier if I had an option to switch back to the old behavior.

Many of my typical search strings return multiple items and just jumping to what feels like a random item of them directly without giving me an easy option to go to one of the alternatives from there (by reducing the list view to the items that contain the search string) is definitely driving me insane after just the first hour of using 1PW8.

• Hey @tmoehle:

Thanks for your feedback here. Quick Find uses a relevancy based method of looking for items.

As my colleague Mike mentioned above, we continue to work on search functionality. Keep an eye on our Release Notes for improvements and changes.

Jack

• ChrisLewis3Cloud
    ChrisLewis3Cloud
    Community Member

I just upgraded to v8 and created an account JUST BECAUSE OF THIS. @tmoehle is exactly right. The old v7 search was an interactive filter, the new v8 search is "results in the search bar". Can you make the default behavior a setting? Just a toggle to swap the Enter/Ctrl-Enter might do it.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

+1 for @ChrisLewis3Cloud and @tmoehle suggestions. At least give us an option to search and show results interactively and without any kind of filtering for relevance. I would just like to find everything I'm looking for (including substrings) and don't want anything in between deciding what I might have intended to find. 1PW8 is not a shopping or price comparison site. This is the biggest regression of all the shortcomings of 1PW8 that always makes me going back to 1PW7 after a couple of minutes.

• Hi @ChrisLewis3Cloud:

Thanks for your additional feedback on this. As I mentioned, we're always looking at making improvements to 1Password, so while I can't promise anything specifically, we do plan on continuing to iterate on search behavior.

Jack

• rgwood
    rgwood
    Community Member
    edited January 2022

+1 to @ChrisLewis3Cloud and @tmoehle. I've been using v8 for weeks and the new search behaviour is driving me crazy, I'm thinking of downgrading. I don't mind any of the other changes, but the search experience is dramatically worse than it used to be.

• Thanks for the feedback, @rgwood. Changes to search are coming (I believe Dave Teare might have mentioned this recently, actually) and we hope that the improvements to come will meet with your approval. We'll be happy to have your feedback as we iterate on this!

• BrettGrivell
    BrettGrivell
    Community Member

Just adding my vote to what others have already said so fixing the search implementation hopefully takes priority over other features. I've rolled back to v7 in the meantime ... which is sad as I did like the new version.

• Thank you for the feedback, @BrettGrivell - and I'm sorry to hear of the need to roll back. Is there a particular aspect of the new search you'd like us to focus on?

• rgwood
    rgwood
    Community Member
    edited February 2022

Personally, I want the old behavior - where typing in the search box would immediately filter all results in the main window - back. That was preferable to the new behavior where I have to hit ctrl+enter to filter results.

• Thanks for this, @rgwood - your two cents here are appreciated!

• Bones
    Bones
    Community Member

Just rebuilt my PC - Had 1PW8 - but on New PC with 1P8 search now returns entires from ALL vaults - even ones not selected in the collection its meant to be searching
    Have i missconfigured something
    Als concure the other comments on needing the do Ctrl-Enter and not getting text entered beiong what is searched everywhere - ...

• BrettGrivell
    BrettGrivell
    Community Member

Hi @PeterG_1P

Display order of searched items. Every month I need to reset all my work passwords, so searching for the company name tag and then ordering on last modified date is useful to see if I've missed anything.

Filtering not searching (Ctrl Enter is an OK workaround but an unnecessary annoyance).

I think when I tested searching for part of a string rather than the start of the word it couldn't find what I was after.

I didn't come across the search returning results from all Vaults that others have mention, but I do use that functionality some times so it would also be annoying

Nothing really terminal, but as the only new feature I found particularly useful in the week or so I had version 8 installed was the updated password generator it seemed like I was losing more than I was gaining.

• Bones
    Bones
    Community Member

Issue resolved after up grade from 8.4.1 to 8.54 - new on 8thFeb22

• Thank you @BrettGrivell , I appreciate you taking the time to get into these specifics. I'll be passing it on to our developers, with thanks!

• seanbarry
    seanbarry
    Community Member

Have also rolled back to 1Password 7 on Windows.

The search experience is SO much better.

• Filter rather than search is much faster (no need for ctrl+enter);
    • You have control over how the results are displayed (sort by Title/Category/Date Modified etc) with useful delimiters between the categories (instead of one continuous list in 1Password 8)
    • Useful highlighting of the filter string in the results list

Summary: it feels like a Product Manager sat down with users in 1Password 7; but then in 1Password 8 - that PM was fired and a Designer was put in charge (instead of the old Product Manager) and this new Designer was more focused on pixels than on user stories.

• Hi @seanbarry, we do appreciate these specifics (although of course sorry to hear that this feature doesn't feel like a step in the right direction for you). We're definitely taking this kind of feedback into account and thank you for providing the thoughtful perspective. We'll hope that future updates will impress you!

• BrettGrivell
    BrettGrivell
    Community Member

Hi @PeterG_1P . I saw there was a new version of V8 released a few days ago which mentioned the Ctrl + Alt + F functionality so thought I'd try it out. I guess it's an improvement, but there's still inconsistent behaviour.

Search bar for "lll" finds nothing
    Ctrl Alt F for "lll" finds the one expected result with "lll" in the middle of the username

Search for "microsoftonline" finds my accounts that authenticate to the microsoftonline.com website
    Ctrl Alt F for "microsoftonline" finds nothing

I don't want to be having to think about where the information I'm looking for is and how it's formatted so that I can choose the right way to search for it, so I'm back on V7 again now.

• BrettGrivell
    BrettGrivell
    Community Member

Is there any update on improvements coming to search in version 8?

• Hello @BrettGrivell,

Thanks for the follow up. We've recently made some improvements by adding substring matching while searching. If you're interested in trying this functionality out and currently on 1Password 8, you can navigate to Settings (Ctrl + Comma) > Advanced and set the Release channel to Nightly. You can then select About and Check for Updates to download the latest release.

If you're using version 7, you can find a direct download to the latest Nightly here.

Please let us know your thoughts.

• BrettGrivell
    BrettGrivell
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_mike_d, just tried that out and the updated search has definitely improved.
    I'm still finding:
    1. Ctrl + Enter to be cumbersome vs just hitting Enter. I regularly will be looking for a group of accounts that match what I'm after, so searching, selecting the one then searching again for the next isn't nearly as convenient as just search and limit the results to those matching.
    2. It doesn't look like the sort order of the filtered results is able to be changed
    3. Selecting a specific Vault or Tag and then searching shows results from all Vaults / Tags

Are these improvements on the cards?

This discussion has been closed.