Accounts with "Very Good' rated passwords...change, or leave alone?

Options
jmjm
jmjm
Community Member
edited November 2021 in Lounge

I have enjoyed using a pw manager for the past almost 2 years.

I noticed recently that two of my more 'important' logins i.e. email accounts, have pass words, at one time created by 1P, rated in the 1P Chrome Browser right now as "Very Good".

If you saw similarly would you make the change to a password rated..."Fantastic"?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Is there any reason not to? 😄 Especially if they are important accounts, I'd likely do so.

Ben

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

It was a bit of a dopey inquiry @Ben. I know why these email accounts weren't setup with "Fantastic" rated passwords. I knew at some point when changing phones I would need to type the pw into the new mobile device and so I went with passphrases of 3 words. (I imagine 4 words would get the "Fantastic" rating.)

• Ben
    Options

Gotcha! Yes, indeed, increasing the number of words and/or using a random digit separator between words can help. :+1:

Ben

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

(Actually with 3 words and a # on either side of the middle word gets me 21 characters in total....seems like it should rate higher than just "Very Good" :) ).

• Ben
    Options

That gets into how entropy is calculated, which is slightly out of my reach. 😬 If I had to guess, I'd say 21 completely random characters would be rated stronger than 21 characters composed of only dictionary words and numerals. I'd be happy to ask our security team to chime in if you'd like to better understand the logic, though.

Ben

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    Options

No need @Ben.

I do notice that passwords for logins are not rated/described the same in terms of their "quality" across the 1P apps. For example here is the password in question in 1PX:

And here for the same password in the 1P7 app for Windows:

You can understand the confusion?

• Ben
    Options

For sure; this is one of the reasons for moving to a common core with 1Password 8. There'll still be more work to do, as the 1Password.com web app and 1Password in the browser (formerly "1Password X") don't use the core wholesale, but it'll bring a much more consistent experience to both desktop and mobile.

Ben

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    Options

(Thanks @Ben for the quick follow-ups)

• Ben
    Options

My pleasure :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.