re-import .1pux file

Hello,

When moving 1password.com to 1password.eu, I would like to export from .com and re-import in .eu.
I have created (export) 1pux file and it seems there is no import option in application (macos) and web vault interfaces.
Of course i manage to duplicate items from .com vault to .eu vault in application and i manage to copy all my items and migrate my datas.

BUT, to perform backup / restore, i think it should be possible to import existing .1pux file directly on web vault interface and application.
Will it be possible in the next future ? if yes, when ? If no, is there an alternative ?

thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @cyayon

Importing has not been implemented (yet). This is something we intend to have completed prior to the stable release of 1Password 8. Also, please note that the 1pux format is unencrypted, and as such the storage and transport of such files should be carefully considered. I'd recommend deleting any that aren't actively being used. We will be offering 1pex exporting/importing as well, which will be an encrypted format.

As far as I'm aware there isn't currently a lossless way to move between 1Password regions (e.g. 1Password.com to 1Password.eu), other than by manually re-creating the items. The challenge is files (Documents and attachments). The apps do not support moving these at present.

BUT, to perform backup / restore, i think it should be possible to import existing .1pux file directly on web vault interface and application.

I agree, though I would suggest using 1pex for this rather than 1pux once implemented.

Ben

ref: dev/core/core#8586

• kmkoni
    kmkoni
    Community Member

I too am interested in import/export functionality in 1Password 8.

What is a 1pux file and how is it different than the 1pif files?
    What is the roadmap for import capabilities in the app and/or the web?
    When will the app be able to export in other common formats like csv?

• @kmkoni

What is a 1pux file and how is it different than the 1pif files?

1pux is a modernized version of 1PIF. It is an unencrypted dump of your 1Password database. The text-based data uses a JSON structure, just like 1PIF. It is human readable.

What is the roadmap for import capabilities in the app and/or the web?

We intend to add importing capabilities to the app prior to the stable release.

When will the app be able to export in other common formats like csv?

No definitive answer here. The two primary export formats we'll be targeting are 1pux (unencrypted) and 1pex (encrypted). We are also looking to support exporting some subset of data to csv, but this is not likely to be lossless. Items in 1Password have an unlimited fieldset due to custom fields and sections, which doesn't translate well to csv. It should be possible to get the basics such as title, username, password, and TOTP secret, though.

Ben

• cyayon
    cyayon
    Community Member

Thanks for your complete answer.

For information, 1pux file is a simple zip file which contain a json.
    There is a GitHub golang project which allow conversion to bitwarden format. Then you can export to csv from bitwarden. Complicated, but it could be done waiting a true export feature in 1password 8.

• For information, 1pux file is a simple zip file which contain a json.

Yes, thanks for clarifying that. I need to add that point to another thread as well. :)

Thanks for your complete answer.

You're very welcome!

Ben

• kmkoni
    kmkoni
    Community Member

@Ben thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome @kmkoni :)

• burnwa
    burnwa
    Community Member

I'm now trying version 8 on Windows. I've accepted the loss of local vaults. But version 7 also kept local backups and supported various formats for export.

Just to be sure I understand the situation as of Nov 20. Is it true that there is no longer a way to get a local, usable copy of my passwords?

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member

@burnwa depends on what you mean by "usable".

When I thought about coming back to 1Passsword (before 8 was announced), I noticed that with a 1Password membership, you could still use 1Password while offline and even save new items (something Bitwarden can't do).

I took a look at c:/users/mywindowsusername/appdata/local/1Password folder and sure enough, I found a .SQLite file which is the local copy or our vaults.

You should be able to backup the 1Password folder in appdata/local and use it in case you really mess up your online vault even though it is less likely to happen as deleted items are kept for 30 days.

At the very least if someone deletes your account (1Password families comes to mind) that backup could be very useful. There's a subfolder that can be omitted named "app". That's the folder where the program resides.

• @burnwa

Indeed; as J.M mentioned 1Password has a local database that it works from, and this is why/how you're able to use 1Password offline. We are looking at offering more explicit backup/restore options, as well as import/export (though some would argue import/export is for a different use case). In addition the tips in this guide may be helpful:

View and restore previous versions of items | 1Password

Ben

• burnwa
    burnwa
    Community Member

Thank you @J.M and @Ben. This is definitely my bad. I should have been more clear and detailed about the requirement. First off, I'm referring to a later date when my Mac is also on 1Password 8. Here is what I would want.

I want a daily local backup. That file should be easy to keep backed up as part of my usual and extensive data backup (i.e. daily and weekly disk clones, 3 Time Machine backups, Arq backups). All of my backups are encrypted. Also, I want to be able to access most of the data using non-1Password tools, ideally just a text editor. 1pif format did that for me.

I do trust 1Password in that I don't believe the entries maintained in my vaults are vulnerable to having their encrypted data exposed. However, disasters happen and I have to plan for worst-case scenarios. I need to plan for 1Password server failures. The server could begin to fail by communicating to my program that all my entries are gone and then crash and be unreachable.

The SQLLite database gets me 90% there. I can just restore an earlier version of the database. I do know how to query an SQLLite database, but I'm assuming the schema is not publicly available and the queried data would be encrypted and unusable. So, I'd just use 1Password program already installed. This is a reasonable, temporary substitute for not being able to import 1pux files.

You might already have the import of 1pux sorted out before I upgrade to version 8 on the Mac. Just in case, if I decide to upgrade earlier, where is the SQLite database be on the Mac?

I see above that the intention was to have import available before general release. I can assume that 1Password doesn't consider it a very important requirement since the general release did happen without that functionality. Can the 1pux be used in any way other than by importing it into 1Password?

• @burnwa

Thanks for taking the time to expand on your thoughts. The purpose of 1pux is not to import into 1Password, but rather to provide a mechanism for people to take their data from 1Password to another solution. It is being built with that case in mind, though it may also be possible to import a 1pux back into 1Password. If your intention is to be able to review the data in a non-1Password app then export may be the right solution. The technical details on the format can be found here:

About the 1Password Unencrypted Export format

I do know how to query an SQLLite database, but I'm assuming the schema is not publicly available and the queried data would be encrypted and unusable. So, I'd just use 1Password program already installed. This is a reasonable, temporary substitute for not being able to import 1pux files.

Correct; the database is only intended to be used by the 1Password apps. Thanks again for sharing. Hopefully the tools we plan to offer will ultimately be able to fit into your workflow and requirements.

Ben

• Oops, sorry, I knew I was forgetting something.

Just in case, if I decide to upgrade earlier, where is the SQLite database be on the Mac?

1Password 8 for Mac stores its data in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data

Ben

• burnwa
    burnwa
    Community Member

You people must work 30 hours a day to be so responsive!

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't realize that 1pux was so usable. I can easily keep copies of that. The structure is clean and workable.

I'm now 100% happy.

• So glad to hear it. 🎉 Thanks for the update @burnwa. One thing we know is still lacking from 1pux is attachments & Documents. That's something we're working on. 🤞

Ben

• padgettn
    padgettn
    Community Member
    edited December 2021

I've exported a 1pux file using 1Password for Windows v8.4.1 and am unable to open it in a text edit to review. From what I've read it should be unencrypted. How do i open the file for viewing data in it?
    UPDATE: I found out that the 1pux file format is a "zipped" file and needs to be opened and uncompressed using a program such as 7zip; then the data is in a readable format. << Hope that helps someone else having an issue reading the 1PUX files.

• Indeed; it is just a zip. Once unzipped the plain-text is in the export.data file. Additional details on this can be found here.

Ben

• cyayon
    cyayon
    Community Member

hello,
    when do you plan to allow re-import of a 1pux file please ?
    thanks

• The original goal was to have importing in the app before now. Unfortunately we missed that mark. As such I hesitate to comment further before the work is actually done, to avoid putting my foot in my mouth again.

Ben

• cyayon
    cyayon
    Community Member

Thanks Ben for your answer.
    At least, it seems to be a priority ;) Hope to see this feature before the end of January (2022) ;)

• You're welcome. :)

Hope to see this feature before the end of January (2022)

Me too 🤞

Ben

• cala
    cala
    Community Member

Is there a way to do this manually? I'm in a bit of a hard spot since 1password didn't offer the ability to choose format when exporting. I can not run any third party tools on this as it has company data, though it is stored in a secure location.

• cala
    cala
    Community Member

I need to import the existing 1pux to either 1password or bitwarden as they are approved options.

• Hi @cala:

There are a few different options here. If you have access currently to this 1Password account, you can use 1Password 7 to export these items as a .csv file or .1pif. If you don't currently have access to this 1Password account, please email support+forum@1password.com with a link to your post: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/622669/#Comment_622669 and we'll be able to take a look at what else can be done.

Jack

• cala
    cala
    Community Member

I think I was able to save things by manually moving passwords on a phone that wasn't aware we'd suspended the work vaults before I let it back on the network. (I know it sounds suspect, but still here and supposed to have access. Our company just stopped paying for 1password and didn't tell us when they were also going to suspend the accounts.. Communication from them has been spotty and bad and I've had too much on my plate so missed the unknown deadline.)

I would prefer to get 1Password for myself as the user experience has been really good, but things like not being able to import the files I exported from it.. well, that's just wak.

• Hi @cala:

Glad to hear you were able to get it sorted. In the longer term, we definitely do want importing implemented in 1Password 8, but as Ben mentioned above, we're hesitant to provide a timeline until the work is done. Keep an eye out for updates!

Jack

• dannyomo
    dannyomo
    Community Member

Coming back to this with your recent release of 1Password 8--I started an individual account (not knowing I couldn't migrate it to Families), then exported to 1pux (assuming it was the most complete format and that I'd be able to re-upload it), not realizing I might have been able to start the Families account and just migrate it over then change the email address. Now I have a 1pux file and no way to re-import to my Families account.

Any timeline for importing 1pux files in 1Password 8? Thanks!

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member

Curious as well since it was "promised" before 1Password 8 was made generally available.

• Importing 1PUX is the next major priority on the desktop app team's radar.

Ben

• dannyomo
    dannyomo
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben! Any timeline or advice for how I should proceed in the meantime?

I'd already imported my Google and Apple Keychain passwords and was about 20% through de-duping it all. Do you have a script I can run to "dumb down" the 1pux file into a basic CSV so I can import it?

This discussion has been closed.