New 1Password Layout

Options
dog_man
dog_man
Community Member
edited November 2021 in Windows

Hi 1Password: the new format for 1Password is exceedingly difficult to use. Plus, it takes significantly more mouse clicks/movements to select something than the previous version. The new left side topics are worthless - there is no rhyme or reason to show this worthless information all the time and take up valuable screen space. Put this information in the primary 1Password tab or a tab to select.

The left side should show the various categories like the previous version did. Now you must click on the upper tab to display the categories. Then select the category to be displayed. Why did you change something so easy to use to now making 1Password so difficult to use?

I used to be able to select the website I needed by double clicking on the desired displayed website tab. Now, if you double click, you get a display of the detail website entry - the same information as shown on the main screen. The only way I can get to the desired website is to single mouse click on the website tab. The detail info is then shown on the right side. Then I must move the mouse and click on the URL website entry. I have found no other way to get to the correct URL. You mentioned something in another discussion about hovering over the desired tab to get a small bubble to select and go to the desired URL. I do not get this small bubble!

Even your "How to find 1Password version" below is not correct for version 8! You must select the three dots in the top left of 1Password. Then select Settings. Then select About.

You have taken multiple steps backwards in the latest version 8 of 1Password. Why not give the user the option to use the new layout format of 1Password or the old layout format of 1Password? This latest version is not user friendly. So sad. You took a great performing app and turned it into an unfriendly, difficult app to use app!!!!!

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: Windows 11 Home 10.0.22000 Build 22000

Comments

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

Some things take more time indeed because of long habits and the new app will also need some adjustments through updates for sure.

Regarding the way you used to launch websites by double-clicking on them, the new quickaccess feature is clearly better to me. Just hit ctrl+shift+space and you can type any site name, hit enter and it will open in your favorite browser. You don't even have to open the main 1Password window.

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member
    Options

I switched to a better password manager but it will take some time to fully switch.

Can edit whatever I want in it too. It is a beauty. Plus none of this Electron code.

• chimney
    chimney
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

Agree with the author and with the similar topics on the forum.
    It seems that v8 has failed in many ways: GUI, Search, Functionality. I had to roll back to v7 just because v8 is ridiculous and looks like designed by wrong people - it has a number of flaws with GUI basics and design in general, probably wasn't tested and Q/A'ed thoroughly. I'm sorry, but it's terrible. It appears that 1Password do not have an art director for this kind of job, or they do have, but it's just a manager maybe?
    Several examples:
    1. Unjustified huge interligne between the items
    2. New fat and cartoonish style that does not look professional (the cartoonish style for the mobile version is perfect though - see how different people do their jobs)
    3. The useless left panel
    4. Many unaligned elements in the visual layout, elements are randomly located here and there with no readable logic, thus chaotic
    5. Terrible search that makes having your own Favourite items meaningless - what's the point, if you cannot search through the Favourites list as before? Oh, there might be a special key combination to achieve that? Why does it need additional key combinations, elements or steps to be taken - they make things more complicated than before... This is not an improvement.
    6. The new search applies your search words to the whole list of items and never brings what I need... The Favourites in v7 were day-to-day easy-to-use items - easy to search through them only. That was my own group that I could work with. With v8 I was dumped into the search results across all shared items (including other vaults) and had to scroll... scroll... scroll... scroll... to never find what I needed. If you have over 1000 items across tens of vaults, you will understand.
    7. The new star icon for Favourites... It's not easy to catch with a corner of your eye even on the item with a placeholder default icon. If you have a service or product icon/vendor logo, and it's a bit coloured, consider you've lost your favourite because it becomes invisible among the other items... Try to find a green tree in a green forest...
    8. The top panel - you put so many elements in there mimicking the Windows visual solutions (which are far away from a good design themselves), so lost yourself. In order to move 1Password window across several monitors as I used to be doing easily, I had to expand the window way wider, just because there wasn't enough active space in the top panel I could grab with my mouse... So goodbye the compact window size.

These are just basics. Kids mistakes. But your designers are not kids.
    On top of this, the designers should have the proper experience of using 1P on an everyday basis themselves...
    Sorry.

I cannot recommend migrating to v8; it's better to stay on v7 for many reasons.

• dog_man
    dog_man
    Community Member
    Options

1Password Support - any comments on all the flaws of Version 8?

• Zaphod_Beeblebrox
    Zaphod_Beeblebrox
    Community Member
    Options

I have one more to add, nothing really bad, but I started missing it the moment I installed it:

• Where is the paste icon from clipboard function? This was so handy in version 7
  • Hey folks,

We appreciate your feedback here!

Most of these points have been addressed in other threads - search "sidebar" to see the big ones.

@J.M 's points make sense here: there's always going to be some adjustment period to a new way of doing things, but we will also be continually improving 1Password 8, and have added features like Quick Access to make calling up the items you need easier than ever.

To @dog_man 's question:

I used to be able to select the website I needed by double clicking on the desired displayed website tab.

You can still get there via "Open and Fill", but in our view - we always want things to be convenient for you - you shouldn't even need to go browsing through the main desktop app in order to fill a website. That's what the browser extension is for; it unlocks automatically along with 1Password 8, so you can fill websites right from the page you're on. And Quick Access is handy for when you need to call up some credentials that aren't specifically in a web form, like signing into an app on your device.

Meanwhile, we do have an internal feature request from customers who would like the sidebar to go back the way it was, and I have added this thread to that project so that your views are included as part of the process.

ref: dev/core/core#9299

This discussion has been closed.