1Password Chrome extension on Linux hangs on unlocking

Options

When I try to unlock the 1Password Chrome extension, sometimes it hangs forever on "Loading..." and the only solution is to close the popup and open it again, then it works fine. This happens at most once a day or every few days. Not sure if this makes a difference, but I use system authentication with pam_u2f.

1Password Version: 8.3.0
Extension Version: 2.1.3 (Chrome 95.0.4638.54)
OS Version: Ubuntu 21.10

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @nyuszika7h ,

A couple of questions:

• Does your browser launches before the 1Password desktop app? Or is the desktop app open already when you launch the browser?
    • If you go into the extension's settings page and turn off the "Integrate with 1Password app" option, does the issue persists?
  • alexiaa
    alexiaa
    Community Member
    Options

The desktop app launches in the background before the browser but I don't usually open it in the foreground before opening the browser. Will try with integration turned off.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great. Let us know what you find :+1:

• alexiaa
    alexiaa
    Community Member
    edited December 2021
    Options

Sorry for the delay, but here's an update on the situation:

• I had assumed the desktop app auto-starts on boot but it doesn't. When the freeze happens, the extension causes the app to start in the background, the tray icon appears but it probably never gets a response or something.
    • The issue doesn't happen if system authentication is turned off.
  • Hello @nyuszika7h,

Thank you for the clarification. It confirms that the 1Password in the browser could sometimes have trouble connecting with the desktop app on your computer. This issue indeed should only occur when you turn on the "Integrate with 1Password app" option, and we are working hard to improve 1Password's connection and make it communicate with the browser better. In the meantime, please open and unlock the 1Password desktop app first before opening the browser and it should help the 1Password in the browser unlock faster. If it got stuck in loading, you could try these steps to toggle the "Integrate with 1Password app" option off and on again, and it should put things back on track.

Right-click the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar > Settings > Scroll down to "Integrate with 1Password app" at the end of General section and toggle it off.

This discussion has been closed.