v8 no longer remembers tag filter on re-open

Options

In V7, if you selected a tag to filter the selections by, if the app locked and you re-opened it, it remembered the tag filter and shows you only those items. This was very useful when I was working on a project and several passwords belonged to the project I could quickly click on the entry for the next password I needed from the shortened list.

In 8.0, it forgets the tag filter item when you re-unlock the app, and now I have to click the tag again, scroll down the list of entries, because it's now scrolled back to the top, to flip between the 3-4 passwords I'm rapidly using on this project.

Can we get the remember tag and scroll position when the lock kicks in, so unlock remembers it and makes things easy for me again?

1Password Version: 8.2.2
Extension Version: main app
OS Version: Windows 10

Comments

• Hi @Syd

This is such a great question and it took me a minute to remember why we aren't yet able to save currently-selected tags (or search terms) when you lock.

When we lock we save your current "path" in the app (what vault you're looking at, etc.) to your disk. This technique is privacy-preserving because we only save unique identifiers when referencing your accounts and your vaults (e.g. we use strings like B2E1F50B-CDD3-4BB3-97D6-9E30839A8216 instead of the vault name).

However, we don't yet have a way of identifying tags by anything other than the tag name itself. And since we want to persist your path in a way that preserves your privacy, we don't want to write out your tag names (or your search terms) to disk in an unencrypted way.

I hope that helps explain why things are they way they are (today). I can think of several ways to solve this but I don't want to commit to anything until we've have our Security team look over any potential downsides.

Thanks again for your feedback and hopefully this is something that we can get working for you.

• Syd
    Syd
    Community Member
    Options

I look forward to a solution. Perhaps encrypting it using the main secret, so it decrypts when the screen is unlocked? I leave that to your security experts.

• @Syd For sure, this is right in their wheel-house. Thanks again for the great feedback.

• Syd
    Syd
    Community Member
    Options

Any progress on this, perhaps store it in the vault itself somehow, or in the current config settings for the user, in that you remember it even on restart. It doesn't even remember it when you search. The old one would honor the tag selection in the search in box, so you got "Search in "Tag", which was really helpful as one of my tags has lots of entries in it. Thats gone in the new interface as well, and is very annoying.

This discussion has been closed.