Desktop application integration

Options

If possible could someone share a link on documentation to integrate 1password auto-fill with a custom cross platform desktop application written with ElectronJS and React. I've searched the docs but cant find anything that would work for my use case. Currently I and any users have to open one password copy/paste the login details.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• kWright
    kWright
    Community Member
    Options

I think this is only supported in Mac OS https://support.1password.com/integration-mac/

• Ben
    Options

Hi @kWright,

We don't currently support filling into 3rd party non-browser applications, but I'd love to see us do so in the future. I've added your voice to the feature request we're using to track this feedback. :+1:

Ben

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#1087

• Ben
    Options

@kWright

I spoke with a couple of our developers about this, and I'd like to expand on my above comment:

• Because your app is Electron-based you inherit most (but possibly not all?) of what is required to run the 1Password extension within your app. One caveat here would be that Electron doesn't automagically give you native message host, which means the extension would not be able to connect to the 1Password desktop app. Even if you added that support, the connection wouldn't be possible as we have a strict whitelist that we're not currently adding to. The result is that folks could potentially use the 1Password extension within your app, but they'd need to sign in separately from our desktop app and the two would not share lock state.
    • You could leverage our CLI to retrieve credentials for your app: https://support.1password.com/command-line-getting-started/
    • Quick Access makes it pretty easy to access and copy & paste the appropriate credentials: https://support.1password.com/quick-access/

I hope that helps! Again I'd love to see us do something more in-depth to support non-browser apps, but that may be a ways off (if at all) and so I wanted to give some tips that may help otherwise.

Ben

• kWright
    kWright
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ben, Thanks for the response. It would be awesome if something similar were to be added. As to the extension connecting to the 1password desktop app, in Linux it doesn't look like the two are connected. If i login on the desktop app I still have to log in with the browser extension. Linux, Ubuntu 21.10 and Mozilla Firefox 94.0.2.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @kWright ,
    Thanks for the followup.

The extension should connect to the desktop app on Linux. Please try the following:

1. Open your browser and right-click the 1Password extension icon, then select "settings".
    2. In the settings page that opens, make sure that "Integrate with 1Password app" is turned on.
    3. Open the 1Password desktop app and go to its settings -> Browser -> Enable that "Connect with 1Password in the browser" option.

If it still doesn't work, you might want to try the following:

• Restart your computer, open and unlock the desktop app first, then open the browser and see if the extension unlocks automatically.
    • Install Firefox's binaries from Mozilla's website instead of using the Firefox version that came packed into your OS.
  • ianchanning1
    ianchanning1
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron Thanks for this advice it was very helpful.

Especially this:

• Restart your computer, open and unlock the desktop app first, then open the browser and see if the extension unlocks automatically.
    • Install Firefox's binaries from Mozilla's website instead of using the Firefox version that came packed into your OS.

Knowing how to check if the integration is working is very useful.

Once I had confirmed that opening the App first and unlocking it and then when opening Firefox the extension was still locked I started looking at my installation of Firefox.

What I blame it on is that I had installed Firefox through flatpak - it's actually Firefox's recommended route now.

I uninstalled the Flatpak version and then installed the deb package through the software UI. I then re-synced my 1Password extension in Firefox, checked the app integration was turned on in the settings.

Now when I did:

It worked! Woohoo!

• Hello @ianchanning,

Thank you for letting me know. It is great to hear that Yaron's steps work for you. Please feel free to give us a shout if you need anything, and have a great week.

This discussion has been closed.