Proxy Support

Seeing how good the early access looks I decided to try it but I can't get it to connect.

When entering my account details I just receive a red colored message saying "the account could not be added".

In the logs I see both AddingAccount and AppUpdater failing with "httperror: io error when sending request".

Since I'm behind a corporate proxy, I did take a look at the settings of the app and did not find any proxy configuration options.

In the past I had lots of issues with my corporate proxy and they where finally fixed on 7.4.747 Beta 4 (and working flawlessly since then).

Is proxy support present in the current build (and hence, not working) or is it something that will be added at a later stage?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

ยซ1

Comments

• Howdy @AOS ๐Ÿค 

There isn't any proxy support within 1Password 8 for Windows just yet, so that explains the bulk of the trouble you're experiencing. That said, proxy support is definitely still in the works, it's just not something that made the cut for Early Access.

Could you share what your network requirements look like? That'll help us prioritize what our customers need the most, especially in a corporate-networked environment.

• zhaoweny
    zhaoweny
    Community Member

I have the same issue. I tried to add my account to 1Password 8 for Windows but it failed. In the logs I see: AddingAccount(UnableToCreateClient(HttpError(IoError(IoError(error sending request)))))

My company is running HTTP proxies that decrypt traffic and restrict WebSocket connections. The proxy is authenticated via my Windows domain credential using NTLM - but HTTP Basic auth also works. They provide company-wide custom root certificates that pre-installed on my workstation. My company installs custom client-side monitoring software to ensure only allowed software can access the proxies. I'm running the CNTLM on my local machine which is (luckily) allowed to connect through the proxies.

I wish 1Password 8 for Windows can:
    1. have custom proxy support, for me providing custom HTTP proxy hostname & port, optionally username & password
    2. accept certificates signed by root certs in Windows trusted root cert store
    2. support more proxy types (e.g. socks5)
    3. auto-detect Windows proxy settings and apply to 1PW8
    4. authenticate with my windows domain credential when using Windows proxy settings
    5. using WebSocket is fine, but fallback to polling via HTTP if WebSocket is blocked by the proxy

p.s. The company proxies seem to skip decrypting for certain sites (a.k.a. has a allow list). They also skip decrypting if the site provides a wildcard certificate.

• AOS
    AOS
    Community Member

For me should be autodetecting proxy config from windows, delivered through pac file in m6 case, and using NTLM auth. As with current 1P7, I have it setup as autodetect and it's working fine.

I can also setup the proxy ip/port/user/pass in apps, this works fine.

Looking forward for proxy support ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Dayton_ag
    edited June 2021

Thanks all! I've compiled this and created an internal issue for our Development team to reference for Proxy support. :smile:

ref: /dev/core/core/#4239

• AOS
    AOS
    Community Member

I see password support seems to have been included on the latest early access.

I did take it for a spin but I can't get it to connect, here is what I see on the log, nothing really useful. Proxy is set at system level with a PAC file. Current working config on 1Password 7 is "Proxy = Auto-detect network settings".

INFO 2021-08-23T23:37:18.704 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(15)) [1P:foundation\op-windows\src\windows\network\proxy.rs:167] network proxies discovered: 1
    INFO 2021-08-23T23:37:20.175 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(15)) [1P:foundation\op-windows\src\windows\network\proxy.rs:235] proxy connected successfully
    INFO 2021-08-23T23:37:20.176 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(5)) [1P:foundation\op-proxy\src\windows.rs:93] selected HTTP proxy to use
    ERROR 2021-08-23T23:37:20.723 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(4)) [1P:op-app\src\app\backend\signin.rs:285] error signing in from data layer: UnableToCreateClient(HttpError(IoError(IoError(error sending request))))
    ERROR 2021-08-23T23:37:20.723 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(4)) [1P:C:\GitLab-Runner\build_dir\s8i2N27K\0\dev\core\core\op-signin\src\lib.rs:299] error signing in from data layer: other error
    ERROR 2021-08-23T23:37:20.723 tokio-runtime-worker(ThreadId(4)) [1P:C:\GitLab-Runner\build_dir\s8i2N27K\0\dev\core\core\op-ui\src\signin\handlers.rs:284] Error signing in: other error

• AOS
    AOS
    Community Member

I should add that the proxy is autenticated, using the windows credentials, just in case current support is only on non-authenticated proxies.

• Thank you, @AOS! We will keep tracking the proxy issue; we understand that it's important for some folks to be able to use 1Password with such a setup in place. Thanks for letting us know what you saw.

• AOS
    AOS
    Community Member

I keep checking release notes on each release but I don't see any new references to proxy support since august. Any updates regarding this? Coming to a future release?

• PeterG_1P
    edited November 2021

Hi @AOS , we do indeed have proxy support! This will continue to get more robust as we go (covering more types of proxies, and so on), but to be brief proxy support is now part of 1Password 8.

Quick question: what version of 1Password are you currently on, and does your 1Password app work with your existing proxy setup at this point when you try it?

• AOS
    AOS
    Community Member

Currently on latest 7.x, I think my issue with 8.x might be related to ssl inspection in the proxy. I just read a comment regarding this issue on reddit.

• Hi @AOS , that's quite possible. If you'd like to discuss it or have us take a look in detail, we're happy to check out the specifics - feel free to send us a message at support@1Password.com and we'll get into it!

• runit
    runit
    Community Member

Using the latest nightly build of 1P 8 for Windows, I am not able to sign in to my 1Password account on my corporate network. I have double-checked password and secret key are accurate. When I revert to 1P 7 with setting to autodetect proxy, I am able to sign into my 1P account. Any suggestions to further troubleshoot?

• Hi @runit:

Is your corporate network doing TLS/SSL inspection or similar? At the moment, 1Password 8 doesn't support network environments where SSL/TLS inspection may occur as it can fail our verifications. We recommend for now to postpone any upgrade to 1Password 8 and stick with 1Password 7 until we add support for these networks.

Jack

• runit
    runit
    Community Member
    edited November 2021

Sounds good. Thanks for the information. I'll keep an eye on the release notes for future versions of 1P 8.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• bfaulk96
    bfaulk96
    Community Member

Adding myself to this thread so I can be notified when it's resolved.

• Hi folks,

Just wanted to circle back with an update here! We've just published a new nightly release that contains the changes needed to make things work properly with TLS/SSL interception. If you'd like to give this a try yourself, please go to Settings > Advanced and change the release channel to NIGHTLY and update. You should see build #80500038 or higher in the Settings > About window. Please let us know how it goes!

For full disclosure, as this is a nightly release, in general it's not tested nearly as much as our betas. You'll be using the same version as our team is using which can be a good thing, but also means that you may get bugs we haven't found yet and will need to live with them until they get fixed (likely in the next nightly or two). Thanks for your patience here on this everyone!

Jack

• PeterG_1P
    edited December 2021

Just a quick addendum to @jack.platten's post above (Hi Jack!):

1Password 8 is a fully distinct app from 1Password 7, which means that you'll need to download 1Password 8 here, if you haven't already:

https://downloads.1password.com/win/1PasswordSetup-latest.exe

and then switch to the Nightly channel. ๐Ÿ‘

We hope this is helpful for the folks who have encountered this issue. Let us know how it goes for you!

• Hi folks,

Your security setup may actually block the updates from showing up. Please download the latest nightly from here: https://downloads.1password.com/win/1PasswordSetup-latest.NIGHTLY.exe

• AOS
    AOS
    Community Member

Hi all, today I had sometime to try with the current beta version and I can confirm that on my corporate proxy setup it is now working correctly :) :p

• Glad to hear @AOS! :smile:

• sdesbure
    sdesbure
    Community Member

Hello, I've got the same issue with daily / nightly for Mac OS and I don't see the config for http proxy :/

• Hey @sdesbure

I'm afraid we don't have proxy configuration within 1Password. If your proxy operates transparently, then 1Password should be able to work in that environment at this point. If it requires explicit configuration in-app then that isn't something we support (yet). I'd encourage you to reach out to our business team at business@1password.com to discuss your needs in this regard.

Ben

• sdesbure
    sdesbure
    Community Member

Hi @Ben, well 1Password7 works perfectly well with this proxy and only 1Password 8 (beta and nightly) isnot working with "connect error" in the log.
    So I thought I'd have to configure it as for windows.
    But if it's not possible, then I don't know what to do :(

• @sdesbure

I'd encourage you to work with our business team to help them understand your network environments and what it would require to support your environment in 1Password 8. They can be reached at business@1password.com.

Thanks!

Ben

• HangieMO
    HangieMO
    Community Member

I'm also on Mac OS using the beta 1Password 8 and it doesn't support proxy, while the old 1Password 7 does.
    I love the new version, but it is useless in a corporate environment without support for proxies.

• Hi @HangieMO, thanks for the feedback. I'd second what @Ben has said here: if you have specific requirements we can help with, our @business@1Password.com address would be a great way to get in touch.

Additionally to that, I have filed a feature request for customizable proxy settings on your behalf. Thank you, and I hope this gets things off to a good start!

ref: IDEA-I-593

• HangieMO
    HangieMO
    Community Member

Hi @PeterG_1P,
    I appreciate the advice (I've sent through an email to that address), what I'm curious to know is what changed between v7 and v8? v7 works fine in our environment, but v8 doesn't. So it would seem logical to assume that something was modified in the way the apps work and the team at 1Password would be best placed to advise on that.
    Happy to help where I can in testing a solution.

• Hello again @HangieMO, thank you for the reply. ๐Ÿ‘‹ And excellent that you've sent that email! We definitely want to make this right.

what I'm curious to know is what changed between v7 and v8? v7 works fine in our environment, but v8 doesn't.

A very reasonable question that turns out to be surprisingly hard to answer. 1Password 8 is essentially a complete rebuild from the ground up, so I'm not sure what the specific thing would be that causes the issue in your case (although that's what we're invested in finding out).

The network capability of 1Password 8 has actually already been improved a few times already since the initial release - there was a big improvement around version 8.5, which resolved the majority of issues folks had reported to us - but there are still a smaller number of cases where folks are still encountering problems. We recognize we need to understand the specifics and put the necessary elements in place to make sure 1Password works in your environment. And so we're happy to be in touch with you to do that!

Thanks for your patience and understanding on this - we're looking forward to providing a solution for you.

• HangieMO
    HangieMO
    Community Member

Hello @PeterG_1P.
    I'd be happy to capture some logs or other telemetry if you tell me what you want to help debug this and make it work in my environment...

This discussion has been closed.