feature: reorder fields within a section

MStyle
MStyle
Community Member

It looks like 1Password 8 currently does not have the ability to reorder fields within a section. It would be great to have that option.

As a workaround, I am able to reorder fields in iOS.

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 21H1

ยซ1

Comments

• ajh0912
    ajh0912
    Community Member

This is one of the first regressions I noticed going from 1Password 7 to 8. Previously sections and items within a section could be reordered (ALT + Up Arrow / ALT + Down Arrow).

• AliH1P
    edited December 2021

Hey @MStyle and @ajh0912!

I can definitely see the advantage of having the ability to reorder fields in 1Password 8. We currently have an internal feature request open for this and I've added your comments there for our developers to see. Thanks!

ref: dev/core/core#5958

• winklerrr
    winklerrr
    Community Member

What's the status on this feature?
    Until now, upgrading to 1Password 8 feels like a downgrade instead of an upgrade!

Fancy looks are not worth lacking features...

• Hey @winklerrr:

Generally we don't share timelines or statuses ahead of time. I've added your voice to the issue my colleague Ali mentioned above. Thanks for your feedback on this.

Jack

• vonpadraig
    vonpadraig
    Community Member

I will say I OFTEN used this feature of moving fields around in previous versions. I was quite dismayed to see moving fields go away in the current version. PLEASE bring the feature back! It makes it a real challenge to find information when the information is not presentable the way I need to see it.

• Hi @vonpadraig,

We appreciate your feedback. I understand the importance of having your information ordered in a way that works for you. I've also added your comment to the internal issue.

Thanks!

• winklerrr
    winklerrr
    Community Member

So I can't reorder fields in the mobile app, the web app and now not even anymore in the desktop app?

• Hi @winklerrr, thanks for weighing in here. We're working on adding new functionality to 1Password 8 all the time - so the ability to re-order fields isn't off the table, and we definitely hear the customer demand for it!

As Ali noted, we do have an open feature request for this and we'll post any further updates here in the forums when we have more to share. Thanks for your understanding as we keep the improvements coming. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• joshhuggins
    joshhuggins
    Community Member

Just want to add my vote for being able to sort our sections and fields to v8. Really makes adding new info to existing entries really frustrating, messy and adds the possibility of missing the info unless the entire entry is recreated. ๐Ÿ˜•

• Thank you for the input, @joshhuggins - your vote has been added!

• Prash
    Prash
    Community Member

Adding my vote to enable field sorting.

• Thanks @Prash, I've added your vote as well!

Ali

IDEA-I-372

• ka097
    ka097
    Community Member

I'd like to see this added as well. It was supported before in v7. Add my vote!

• andrea00
    andrea00
    Community Member

HI guys! I would like to follow this topic, since I highly suggest to reintroduce the possibility to reorder the fields in one password 8 for Mac.

Currently, every time I need to reorder a field, I have to:

• create the new field on my Mac (since I'm used to work on my Mac)
    • and then I go on my phone (in order to reorder the new field in 1password for iPhone)

It would be great to add the possibility to reorder, both single fields (as in the previous version of 1password) and attached file (that I cannot reorder).

Thank you very much!

Andrea

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

In this thread is more information on this topic with several 1Password members sharing their thoughts on the current situation and future of re-arraing fields. Here @dteare wrote on May 4th 2022:

This is something we're actively exploring and I expect will be added in the not-to-distant future. While a lot of work remains, I wanted to share that the design team has designed how this feature will look and feel and the dev team has gotten things far enough along that I was able to see a video of it in action. Again, I need to stress a lot of work remains and this will not be included in the immediate future, but I wanted to share that it has bubbled up on our priority list.

As for "why", reordering of fields was something we deliberately left out of 1Password 8 during the design process as we were hoping to simplify things. I was hopeful that we could win with a "less is more" approach but I found myself missing this feature as much as you are. I'm happy that we tried and I'm happy that we changed our minds. Live and learn. ๐Ÿ™

As I haven't seen the thread mentioned here, I thought I share the thread as it gives additional context for those interest and also to offer the possibility to connect with the probably largest thread for this topic (as far as I'm aware of).

• 55208wcgk
    55208wcgk
    Community Member

Another reason I want to move back to v7. Can someone explain how I can do that - get rid of the v8 I'm running now & reinstalling v7? Thanks

• Hi @55208wcgk, thanks for your feedback here. I've added your +1 to our feature request noting that you'd see the ability to reorder fields within an item in 1Password 8.

With regard to your question about moving back to 1Password 7 for Windows, it should be noted that version 7 and 8 cannot be used at the same time. 1Password 8 can be uninstalled from your device and you can download and reinstall 1Password 7 for Windows from that direct link. Version 7 can also be located on our Windows download page, near the bottom under Using an older computer?

Let us know if you have any troubles. Thanks!

ref: IDEA-I-372

• mtkushner
    mtkushner
    Community Member
    edited July 2022

I came on here to make this feature request and see it's already here for version 8.x Beneficial to order items the way I need/like to do it on my Mac, not just on my iPhone.

Thanks.

• Hi @mtkushner, thank you for this request! I'm happy to add a +1 vote on your behalf, and have now done so. Thanks for letting us know that this is valuable for you.

• vonpadraig
    vonpadraig
    Community Member

I am VERY surprised that we are still waiting for 1Password developers to put back in features we once had. We have been waiting nearly 8 months. It is highly annoying having to switch between my desktop app and my mobile app to complete my desired tasks. Tasks I could complete in the desktop app.

When will we finally get back the ability to move sections and fields around in the desktop app.... just like we did in the previous version? just like we have in the mobile app?

I don't think any of us are being unreasonable asking for this feature.

• cbeitel44
    cbeitel44
    Community Member

Hi, I can share all the feedbacks - or on the other recent topics - of everyone here, because I think that this v8 is a beta version, not a production one. I know that you are developing this app for years, but as I can see lots of not so positive feedbacks, I really don't think that it was wise to "force" us to upgrade into the v8. And as I can see here, lots of people want to downgrade to v7 because of v8 issues and missing features. So please, don't do like Microsoft and their very dirty release updates... (private joke, sorry)

And about me, I think I will stay for the moment in this v8 because I hope for a very near update with full of great and missing v7 features. Otherwise, I think I will try some other vaults providers' alternatives like Dash/Last or even Keeper (as they're french team!), and I really hope to be able to claim a refund based on the remaining months if I leave before the next subscription renewal. If so, I hope I will be able to export the entire vaults to import them elsewhere too.

I really really thank you for your involvement and your understanding.

C.

• PeterG_1P
    edited August 2022

Hello @vonpadraig and @cbeitel44. ๐Ÿ‘‹ Thank you for this feedback. I can appreciate why being able to re-order fields would be useful for you, and this is indeed something we plan to implement in 1Password 8. While I don't have anything to share regarding a specific timeline at the moment (mostly because we announce features as they're released, not before), I will make sure to pass on your thoughts to the appropriate team.

I have added a vote for this feature on your behalf, @cbeitel44, and we already have one logged for @vonpadraig. Thank you again for your patience, and I'll look forward to sharing updates on this when the time comes!

• mrbscreen
    mrbscreen
    Community Member

Hi, I am missing this basic feature too. Reordering of sections and entries in section are necessary.

• Thanks for letting know, @mrbscreen! I've included your vote. ๐Ÿ‘

• MStyle
    MStyle
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

Looks like the new 1Password 8 for iOS is also missing this feature. 1Password 7 in iOS can still be used as a workaround, and hopefully it will continue working until this feature is added to 1Password 8 on all platforms.

This post probably belongs in the iOS forum but since it's the same issue I thought I'd reply here.

• Hi @MStyle,

We appreciate you letting us know you're missing this feature on iOS as well. With 1Password 8 we're using a common "core". Any future changes and updated features within the apps will be seen across all platforms.

Since this feature is currently available in 1Password 7 for iOS and you can use both version side-by-side on iOS, this would be the best workaround for the time being. Thanks!

• u106tah
    u106tah
    Community Member

Please add me to the list of people who would like to be able to reorder fields in V8.

• I've cast a vote on your behalf, @u106tah. Thank you for taking the time to let us know this is something you'd to see in version 8. ๐Ÿ‘

• Jimmy2087
    Jimmy2087
    Community Member

Same here, when this will be available, v8 is more like downgrade than upgrade. :-(

• Hi @Jimmy2087,

We appreciate the feedback, but are unable to offer any sort of ETA on the feature request. I've cast a vote on your behalf and would like to thank everyone for your patience!

As always, please keep an eye open for news about the implementation of new features here in our 1Password Releases.

This discussion has been closed.