Search doesn't search in section names

If you try to search for something it doesn't seem to search for section names. For example I've standard username/password but I often add some subsection with names that tell you things for example 'pin', 'apple watch' or whatever. Right now the search is empty. Please include it.

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11

Comments

• Dom_1P
    Dom_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PrzemyslawKlys

I just wanted to let you know that we put a fix for this up today and it should will make it out into a release soon.

Thanks for the feedback!

• PrzemyslawKlys
    PrzemyslawKlys
    Community Member

Thank you ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Dom, you are very welcome @PrzemyslawKlys! If you have any other reports, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• PrzemyslawKlys
    PrzemyslawKlys
    Community Member

I've seen few beta releases and so far - no appearance. Can you let me know whether this was implemented or it's still on roadmap? Just so we're sure we're talking about same thing and maybe we had different thing in mind?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@PrzemyslawKlys:

Can you let me know whether this was implemented or it's still on roadmap?

As per Dom's previous message, the fix was addressed yesterday, so it will be included in one of the next updates :+1:

• PrzemyslawKlys
    PrzemyslawKlys
    Community Member

The fix was addressed on November 22. We have 7th of December. Are we speaking about same thing?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@PrzemyslawKlys:

Perhaps we should clarify this part:

I've seen few beta releases and so far - no appearance.

When you say "no appearance", do you mean that the bug you reported has not appeared for you in the latest betas, or do you mean that the search results are not appearing instead when you run a search?

• PrzemyslawKlys
    PrzemyslawKlys
    Community Member

The search results are not appearing when i search for string that's a section name.

• Hi @PrzemyslawKlys,

I apologize for the confusion, Dom has implemented a fix and added it to our list two weeks ago to be merged into the code base but it has not been accepted just yet.

We're still testing and hope to merge it in soon but we don't have a timeframe.

• PrzemyslawKlys
    PrzemyslawKlys
    Community Member

Thanks, understood. I'll wait patiently.

• MikeT
    edited December 2021

You're welcome.

The issue number is #7775, if you want to look for it in the release notes.

We'll update this thread when it is shipped.

ref: dev/core/core#7775

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

On the matter of searching - so I don't make a new thread - it seems it doesn't do matching for partial names.
    Easier to explain:

I search for google - I get matches
    I search for oogle - zero matches

In v7 this was working properly.

Is this expected behaviour?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

This is currently by design @Hybrid, yes, but I know there are discussions ongoing on how to improve this :+1:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Thanks for the update Ana, appreciate it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome :)

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

@Hybrid this was reported several times and it's still not fixed. I heavily relied on substring search and know I can't find anything in 1PW8. After all the "we are listening" posts but not addressing any of the major regressions in 1PW8 I'm slowly loosing confidence in AgileBits.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sorry to hear this @viswiz, I will let the developers know that this is a priority for you :+1:

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

Thank you @ag_ana :+1:

• Hi @PrzemyslawKlys,

The latest nightly update (80500042) now has the fix to search for the section titles.

• PrzemyslawKlys
    PrzemyslawKlys
    Community Member

Great, thank you! I'm on beta so I'll wait some time. Does it also work for subsection such as in this case phone?

In old versions you could type GPG and find the record. right now it doesn't

• Hi @PrzemyslawKlys:

I've just checked, and yes, searching for "GPG" would work in this release as well.

Jack

• PrzemyslawKlys
    PrzemyslawKlys
    Community Member

Thank you, I can confirm - beta version works!

• @PrzemyslawKlys: Glad to hear it's working as expected for you now! :smile:

• Orko
    Orko
    Community Member

Any idea when the new search will hit the Windows version of 1Password 8? I just started working at a new company and was using version 7 and searching for Usernames in all their databases was the only way I could find passwords. I just got my new Work PC setup and installed 1Password 8. I am unable to locate any of the usernames anymore and I am really struggling getting the job done.

Everything I read above indicates that the search feature has been improved to work like Version 7.

When will the updated release hit?

• Hi @Orko:

Thanks for following up on this. As it currently stands, these changes haven't made it into the stable release of 1Password 8 just yet, but are available in the beta or nightly channels of 1Password. To switch to the beta channel:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Click your account or collection at the top of the sidebar and choose Settings.
    3. Click Advanced, then set “Release channel” to Beta. (Updates will be installed automatically when “Install updates automatically” is turned on.)
    4. Click About to verify that the update has downloaded, then update 1Password by following the prompt.

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• volts
    volts
    Community Member

I would like to echo what @Hybrid and @viswiz mentioned about partial search.

I'm surprised at how debilitating the lack of partial search is to me.

"grocery" doesn't find "mygroceryapp.com" :cry:

I understand the desire to avoid extraneous matches, but I can't find anything. The baby is in the bathwater.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

@volts in my case it's "Openweathermap" and trying to search for "wea". Support recommended to change the entry's name to "OpenWeatherMap" because this way 1PW8 will be able to find it. I'm not going to change my entries just to enable the substandard search find what I'm looking for. It worked in all versions before 8 and it's the way search works in pretty much every other application I use. The whole thing reminds me of Apple's "you are holding it wrong" comment.

• Orko
    Orko
    Community Member

Personally I don't want to move to the beta version of the application just to get the search to work better. I will try and hold out a bit longer for search feature update to hit a final version.

Do you have any eta on when this could be?

this is Ironic too... I have been a lastpass user before I came to this new company, I really liked how 1PW worked and my 1 year is coming up soon for renewal. I was going to make the switch to 1PW but now, I am not sure what to do...

• Orko
    Orko
    Community Member

Let me revise my last comment. I can't just go to the beta release as we are standardizing on the software we get installed at the office. I need to wait for the new features to be updated in the regular release to take advantage of the new/old search

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I'm on the same boat; this is a dealbreaker for me and rolled back to v7.
    IMHO this breaks basic functionality and should be considered a critical fix - but hey, that's just me.

This discussion has been closed.