Options for dealing with an incorrect icon?

So i've just gotten around to adding some of my software licenses to 1Password. Nothing to report for about the first dozen or so. They have all used the generic icon.

I reached Snagit however, and this is what it gave me..

Best I can tell thats from techsmith pre 2012 if at all. Since I dont have the time to add custom icons to everything right now, I tried to edit > remove saved icon which appears to work until I hit save and then it reverts to the wonky icon.

I assume I'm gonna be SoL? No way to remove icons which are added by default apart from replacing them with something else?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @klepp0906!

I think we can try updating the icon in our rich icon server. Do you have a recent icon for the app, ideally of high quality and at least 512x512?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana !

Here's an icon for Snagit which I'm using in my vault too. ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2021

Thank you @DenalB! I will give the icon to the developers, let's see if they can update it so this one shows up by default :+1:

ref: dev/projects/rich-icons-issues#818

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

ah, i assumed "that" would be an option but that you guys had much bigger fish to fry and attended to things like refreshing icons on a non frequent maintenance type schedule or something. wasnt even gonna ask as it seems like small potatoes considering all you have going on :p

I'm pretty OCD so its more impactful than for the average bear so to speak lol. Thanks :)

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

through my googling it seems like at one point (maybe even currently?) on mac you could add icons to your entries by simply dragging the executable on top of the entry? Is that mac-only or a deprecated feature or am i just doing it wrong? (windows)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@klepp0906:

ah, i assumed "that" would be an option but that you guys had much bigger fish to fry and attended to things like refreshing icons on a non frequent maintenance type schedule or something. wasnt even gonna ask as it seems like small potatoes considering all you have going on :pirate:

We might not be able to work on icons quickly all the time, but it's always worth mentioning this so we can add the request to the to-do list ;) We can then focus on that as soon as we have a moment :+1:

through my googling it seems like at one point (maybe even currently?) on mac you could add icons to your entries by simply dragging the executable on top of the entry? Is that mac-only or a deprecated feature or am i just doing it wrong? (windows)

I have quickly tested this on Windows and I was not able to get it to work, so I suspect this might be a Mac-only feature.

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

well, at least i know its not just me lol.

Would be a great thing to add to the windows clients "to-do" list as it would be incredibly useful. For now i've randomly found logos and photoshopped them into a reasonable format for 1password. Far too time consuming and cumbersome which is why its back-burner stuff for now. Especially considering the amount of data most of us have stored :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood @klepp0906, thank you for the feedback on this :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@klepp0906:

I just wanted to send you a quick update to let you know that we have updated the icon for Snagit, Snagit Recorder and Snagit Cahelper :+1:

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

Awesome :) assuaging us pedantic ocd folks one icon at a time!

• You're very welcome @klepp0906 :smile:

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

before i post this, remember - you guys did this to yourselves! :P

so, coincidentally i just got the notification email that a new version of snagit was released. as i upgrade, i also get a new license key with it and as such I went into 1password to update the license key.

i had the same ole outdated icon that I did when I began this post so I figured id just delete the entry and add a new one instead of updating the old.

The new one still has the old icon. Is this due to it taking time to update it on you guys side and as such taking time to make it to users or is this due to me using 1password 8 and not 7? or something else altogether?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@klepp0906:

The new one still has the old icon. Is this due to it taking time to update it on you guys side and as such taking time to make it to users or is this due to me using 1password 8 and not 7?

We can find that out easily: do you still have access to 1Password 7? If so, does the new icon show up there?

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

Unfortunately I do not, I exclusively use 8 now on all my machines. I've had no problems outside of a few QoL features missing that I'm confident just simply havent been added back yet.

that being said, if its the only way to know if its a 7/8 thing, I can reinstall it right? I believe they can be ran side by side?

that or i can hope another user with 8 either uses snagit or wants to make a faux license key entry for testing :P

• Hi @klepp0906:

Glad to hear you're enjoying 1Password 8 so much! I checked on my end, and was able to get the new icon for Snagit.

1Password 8 caches rich icons for approximately 2 weeks, so you may not see the new icon automatically update on your end until the cached icon expires. Keep an eye out, and it should automatically update soon!

Jack

• klepp0906
    klepp0906
    Community Member

hi jack, thank you for the additional information. OCD or not, its obviously not the end of the world. I'll go ahead and wait it out for a few weeks then.

Thanks again guys (and gals)

• You're very welcome @klepp0906! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.