best way to use 1password for a nonprofit with a changing board

rabner
rabner
Community Member
edited December 2021 in Business and Teams

I'm on the board of a small charity, I'd like to use 1password to keep all our records and logins secure. The problem is people come and go from the board (eventually myself included) How can we register/set up and use 1password safely and effectively?

FYI: I'm a current 1password user with a single user account.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1passwrod for non profit

Comments

• Hi @rabner

I've had need to answer this question myself, as I've been in leadership roles for two non-profits. I think a lot will depend on the size of the organization, the budget, and the technical skill level of the people involved. For example, if it is a larger organization with budget to do so, it may make sense to contract an IT consultant to manage the administration of the membership for you. Board members can change, but your IT consultant would be fairly static. Alternatively if that isn't a possibility perhaps you entrust one of your volunteers who intends to serve for a number of years and also has some level of technical wherewithal.

Ultimately I'm not sure there is a singular "right" answer to this. It may be best to sign up for a trial business membership, set things up with a couple of people, and then work through how you might handle various scenarios. See how it turns out, and then make decisions based on those results. Consider what happens if any given board member resigns mid-term, for example. Then document those cases and desired outcomes so that future leaders have something to start from. That might be a worthwhile endeavor. :)

Additionally I'd mention that we do offer a discount for properly registered non-profits. I'd encourage you to reach out to our business team at business@1password.com to discuss further. Those folks may also have additional ideas to share. :)

Thanks!

Ben

• rabner
    rabner
    Community Member

Thanks very much Ben. We are in fact a small organization. I'll reach out to the business team to get an idea of the costs and options involved.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good @rabner! And on behalf of Ben, you are very welcome :)

• lspeterman
    lspeterman
    Community Member

One pattern I've seen used is to share a single account but change the master password anytime a board member leaves. Not terrific, but workable.

Ideally, go the teams/business route and create a shared vault. I know that can be cost prohibitive for a non-profit but hopefully AgileBits can work with you on pricing.

This discussion has been closed.