iOS Backup to iCloud Secure?

Options
Finke03
Finke03
Community Member

Hi,
I‘m still one of the guys who are not using iCloud to backup the phone. Instead I‘m an old fashion iTunes user, who is backing up the phone regularly on my windows machine. Here I can be sure that the whole backup is completely encrypted.
Now my question is: How secure are my 1Password data (family membership), if I would decide to use the iCloud backup to backup my complete phone? As I know the iCloud backup is not end to end encrypted and apple is holding a second key and in the position (theoretical) to decrypt an iCloud backup.
And the second question to one of your security experts would be: Would you use iCloud backup to backup your phone and „your complete life“ ? I guess millions of people are using it, but I‘m still not trusting it.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Finke03!

How secure are my 1Password data (family membership), if I would decide to use the iCloud backup to backup my complete phone?

It would be secure because it would not be stored in iCloud. A Families Membership uses 1Password.com to sync, iCloud won't be needed anymore, your 1Password data is not stored there.

Would you use iCloud backup to backup your phone and „your complete life“ ? I guess millions of people are using it, but I‘m still not trusting it.

I personally don't use it, but it's not because of lack of trust, I just don't have enough iCloud space so I make local backups :)

• Finke03
    Finke03
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana,

thanks for reply.

It would be secure because it would not be stored in iCloud.

Ok but how does it look like with the cached local data? As I know 1P is also caching the data locally for offline usage. Will this data also not part of the iOS backup to iCloud?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Finke03:

I see what you mean now, thank you for the clarification. I will ask the rest of the team and get back to you as soon as I hear something :+1:

• Ben
    Options

@Finke03

The data in 1Password (including the local cache) is encrypted using a key only you have (your account password), regardless of what if any layers of encryption your chosen backup solution adds on top of that. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.