To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Getting started — Secret Key

This discussion was created from comments split from: Too Complicated.

Comments

• kconstable
    kconstable
    Community Member

I just paid for and tried to set up 1Password. took my email. took my password. then asked me to sign in USING A SECRET PASSWORD which I can't get unless I sign in. Circular problem. No signing in - no getting a secret password. How do others manage this. (if it's this hard just to get started, how intuitive will it be using the app? remains to be seen because the only definite is that 1Password has my $36 dollars

• Hi @kconstable

I'm very sorry to hear you've had trouble with the sign up process. If you've only just signed up then you would've have paid anything yet. We don't charge your card until the end of your trial period. The Secret Key, which you do indeed need to sign in, is presented to you during the signup process. If you signed up on a computer, it'll be automatically downloaded to your Downloads folder in the form of an Emergency Kit:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Do you see that document in your Downloads folder? If not, and you're unable to find your Secret Key, our team can help you start over. Please reach out at support@1password.com and mention you need to start over and include a link to this forum thread with your email: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/622148/#Comment_622148
    Our team will be happy to give you instructions for that and help you get started.

Ben

• kconstable
    kconstable
    Community Member

first, apple tells me I've been billed. I did not sign up for a trial period. I tried to upload apple's invoice email from earlier today, but was unsuccessful. The status now is that you've been paid by apple, according to apple.

second, I never saw an option for a "secret key" during sign up. It seems I have two accounts. Now I remember that I tried 1Password before and could not figure it out then. That was 2 or 3 years ago when I tried and gave up. So I have two emails on a list at 1password. Don't know which one is usable. I prefer one over the other. Would be nice to get rid of the one I don't want.

third, nothing downloaded to my download folder. Nothing saying 1password and nothing saying emergency kit. Just saying...

fourth, nothing should be this hard to figure out. If it's easy for you, it may be that you're so used to it that you no longer see what's hard for others.

fifth, I'll reach out to support@1password.com. maybe I'll get some help starting over. what I really need is a phone number or otherwise live help.

thank you

• kconstable
    kconstable
    Community Member

apologies for my curtness. It's just that I'm so frustrated.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kconstable:

After you have sent the email, please post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• kconstable
    kconstable
    Community Member

Is this what you mean?

Re: [#GHK-57731-998] Starting over

• Hi @kconstable:

That's exactly it, we'll continue to be in touch with you there. Thanks for your patience!

Jack

ref: GHK-57731-998

This discussion has been closed.