Safari extension refuses to work after upgrade

Options

I've finally gotten so frustrated with this problem to make a post here.

Every time (I mean EVERY TIME), 1Password is upgraded in Safari, it stops working. Clicking the extension icon does nothing. The on-screen popup that prompts you to unlock 1Password does nothing. If 1Password is unlocked directly via the main app, it still does nothing. Turning off the browser extension and turning it back on does nothing. Restarting the browser does nothing. Removing the extension entirely and reinstalling it does nothing.

Happened again just this morning. I cannot reboot my machine because it's right in the middle of a long process that I cannot stop. Perhaps rebooting would indeed fix it, but...having to reboot the whole computer so that a freaking essential browser extension will work is just a ridiculous and unacceptably drastic measure to take. The disruption this causes to my day is very significant.

What the hell, 1Password--what's the solution here to having a browser extension that simply works when it's upgraded? What do other community members do to make this work again?

Thanks,
/mike

1Password Version: 7.9.2
Extension Version: 7.9.2
OS Version: MacOS 11.6

Comments

• Hi @mitchellzone,

I'm sorry you're frustrated here, and I'd be happy to give you a hand. When 1Password for Mac updates, Safari has to load the new extension as well, and sometimes this doesn't take right away, especially if Safari was open at the time 1Password updated. As a first set of steps to get 1Password in Safari working again, without needing to reboot your computer, try this:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit 1Password Completely".
    2. Quit Safari by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open Safari and test if it is working properly.

Let me know how that goes.

Jack

• mitchellzone
    mitchellzone
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the answer @jack.platten. I'll favorite this answer for the next time, but this time I just ended up rebooting after nothing else worked.

/mike

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member
    Options

I just ran into this issue. I this going to be fixed? @mitchellzone

• Hi @wavesound:

We're always trying to make 1Password better, and this is something we're definitely working to improve. In the meantime however, the steps I've provided above should resolve the issue for the moment whenever the issue does come up. Let me know!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.