Trying to work with linked items while moving individual vault items to shared family vault

epurkiss
epurkiss
Community Member

Greets - my wife and I have had individual accounts for years. We have a single "personal" vault that we've both sync'd to. It's time to add our daughter or perhaps both of my sons as well, as part of our data-continuity plan.

I was instructed to create a family account. I was under the impression that my personal vault would now simply be available - then was told I need to move to the "shared" vault. In doing so, I got the items-with-references error and that linked items would be deleted. We have over 1000 items in this vault with more than 100 having at least one, if not many, linked documents.

I'm posting this because I can't find any recent advice on how to make this more smooth. Currently I'm taking an item with a linked document, clicking "view" on an item, then View Document, then quick-look drop down, then Show In Finder and keeping all those windows open while I move the original item to the shared vault, delete all the now-defunct attachment references, then drag the original files into the new item.

This just seems mindbogglingly complicated and tedious for something that is clearly a non-corner use case, and has been in discussion here and elsewhere since 2016. I feel I must be missing something. Please advise and thank you in advance.

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 11.5.2

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @epurkiss!

I am afraid that our developers don't have any new updates about this :( The process that you are following now is the one I also use when I have to move documents between vaults.

• epurkiss
    epurkiss
    Community Member

Almost 5 years this problem has been discussed. Extremely disappointing.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

We appreciated the feedback @epurkiss, I will be happy to pass it to the developers :+1:

• wavesound
    wavesound
    Community Member

I honestly think that linked documents was a huge step backwards for 1Password since it was so poorly implemented and I'm glad that we can go back to just attaching files to items in 1PW.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Indeed attachments are finally back @wavesound :)

This discussion has been closed.