Is the stand alone password generator gone form the 1password8 Beta?

I used this feature a lot when generating database and server passwords. Is it gone? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @rrrrando, this is still present in the browser extension that pairs with the desktop app: https://support.1password.com/generate-website-password/

However, if it's more useful for you to have it in the desktop app, let me know and I'll be happy to add you to a feature request around this (a few other folks have requested this as well).

And thank you for the question!

• rrrrando
    rrrrando
    Community Member

Yes this is a needed feature, because a work a lot in the terminal when i need to generate a password.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

I woud like to see this feature again within the main application. The browser extension is used when I generate passwords for websites. For all other purposes like application, db, terminal, ... passwords I often don't even have a browser open.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P said:

However, if it's more useful for you to have it in the desktop app, let me know and I'll be happy to add you to a feature request around this (a few other folks have requested this as well).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but is there really no password generator in the main 1PW8 app anymore? I use that feature ALL THE TIME in 1PW7. I really hope I'm misunderstanding...

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

The main application still has a password generator but not a QR code scanner. For me those two belong together.

The new password generator in the main application suffers badly from some strange design decisions and electron.
    After electing "New Object" -> "Password" a modal dialog opens up - for macOS users once again a punch in the face seeing the closing "X" top right instead of a red circle top left.
    You click into the password field to get a pop up menu with just one option:

Why do I have to do this additional click if the menu has only one option?

The password generator opens - quite similar to the one of 1PW7. Once again an electron limitation strikes here. Because the whole dialog is to small and its size can't be changed you have to scroll in order to see all options.

• adamjb
    adamjb
    Community Member

I also use the generator via the menubar icon / 1password mini all the time to generate passwords and look up db/terminal/non web passwords.

This discussion has been closed.