Switching from Chrome to Safari--user interface is difficult

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member
edited December 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

I am not sure what is going on here. Best shown with a series of screen shots.

1. Example of login process under Chrome, where I get an expected list, and choose the second one in the list:

2. Example from Safari, where it appears that the login support is not coming from 1P but rather from Safari:

3. After clicking "Other passwords" in #2 screen shot:

The above leads me to believe this is not 1P and I don't want to go down that path. So next I clear the "jas" username which is populated by Safari. Then I get the expected display from 1P:

Questions:
1. How do I get rid of this behavior and wasted steps? Is there something other than the workaround of clearing Safari's username?

1. In #2 above, I seem to often get a situation where there is a suggestion that covers up the field that I could otherwise just type into. How do you avoid this?

I cannot tell what version the Extension is. When I click on the link below ("How to find extension version") it instead takes me to the page showing how to keep it up to date, but does not show where to find the current version. So I checked for updates and it says I have the latest version. So I guess you have to figure out what that means as far as the version.

1Password Version: 7.9.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.7

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jasimon9!

Example from Safari, where it appears that the login support is not coming from 1P but rather from Safari:

Please disable Safari's own password management feature so it does not interfere with 1Password:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

I cannot tell what version the Extension is. When I click on the link below ("How to find extension version") it instead takes me to the page showing how to keep it up to date, but does not show where to find the current version.

You can see this under Safari Preferences > Extensions tab. But the Safari extension typically has the same version as the main 1Password app :)

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for you answer. After even more confusion such as in the screen shot. I did turn off the Safari features to fix that issue.

Hoping to get past these issues!

Re: 1P extension version: I was used to seeing it be a very different number, so when I looked in Preferences > Extensions and saw the same number, I thought that was not right. But having the same version number is better. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Glad to hear turning off Safari's built-in password manager helped. :)

Ben

• monfster
    monfster
    Community Member
    Options

I've noticed that the 1Password extension for Chrome has three settings for site access and one of the choices, "On Click", prevents 1Password from interfering with the Chrome password system, but still allows you to use both systems.

In fact, if you're using the Chrome password system as well as 1Password, Chrome automatically (or the 1Password extension automatically) sets the 1Password extension to "On Click" instead of "All Sites" or "Some Sites". Which is good, because there is no way to turn off the Chrome Password system if you're letting it save passwords.

Perhaps this should be implemented on the Safari extension, as well.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2021
    Options

@monfster:

Perhaps this should be implemented on the Safari extension, as well.

Thank you for the suggestion, I will be happy to pass it to the developers for consideration :+1:

This discussion has been closed.