Search is finding different (or no) items for the app and browser extension

Options

I know I've seen some comments about the search function and have to confirm that it is still an issue. If I search for "chicago" in my browser extension, it correctly displays a bunch of items since it's not requiring a specific match (just the presence of the characters "chicago" are sufficient):

Now I try that in 1PW's search function (I'm on the latest: 80500017) and it finds...nothing:

I should add that I'm searching all vaults, but the items exist in all my shared vaults.

This should be fixed please. The search algorithm for the browser extension is sufficiently broad. Clearly the one for the app itself seems to require exact matches. Thanks.

1Password Version: 80500017
Extension Version: 2.1.4 (build #20184)
OS Version: macOS 12

Comments

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member
    Options

any thoughts???

• Dom_1P
    Dom_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dtoub!

The new search used in OP8 will only search starting at the beginning of words. For this query to work you would need to type 'uchicago'. In this iteration we tried to follow the examples set by other popular apps and search engines. Unfortunately this means that searching for something "in the middle" of a word doesn't work. We are looking at how we can bring something like this back.

Thanks for your feedback, it is valuable and your thoughts are echoed by others.

• dtoub
    dtoub
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Odd that the browser extension does it the old (correct?) way, or has that not undergone a change for 1PW8? Appreciate the response!

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

I still don't understand why you've replaced the pretty much perfect search of all previous versions with this sub standard search in OP8. Apart from just using auto fill via shortcut I've used search a lot in the previous versions typically using only substrings. This workflow is now completely broken. Spotlight and all other apps I use are just searching for substrings. OP8 is the only exception.

• Dom_1P
    Dom_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

has that not undergone a change for 1PW8

You are correct! They are using a search written a few years ago, we have some fun problems preventing us from trying to use OP8 search there.

• Dom_1P
    Dom_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vlswlz Our new search engine has been written to better accommodate international languages (which the previous versions such as B5X, do not make any concessions for) and follows an industry standard for matching. This standard is not very fast and due to the nature of 1Password, we cannot easily store an index of your items in plain text like other apps do. This has left us a little restricted with how much processing we can do "on the fly".

There are future plans to revisit this issue and hopefully get this working similar to how it was before.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    Options

@Dom_1P thank you for explaining the technical background of this change. Sadly your answer sounds like this issue has a pretty low priority.
    I‘ve joined the early access releases almost from the beginning. Luckily not as my primary installation.
    Every single workflow I have used since 1PW1 is either broken or no longer available. On macOS AgileBits doesn‘t even try to respect the most basic UI principles.
    Whenever you release an update for early access I hope something substantial is fixed just to get disappointed again that only minor things changed. Sadly I‘ve lost confidence that AgileBits will change anything about the situation.

This discussion has been closed.