Backup to PIF - not encrypted

If I backup my Mac Version (Mt. Lion os) of 1 PW, I get choice of backing up to a text file or a PIF with a warning that these won't be encrypted and need to be

How th'heck do I encrypt the PIF backup file? Or should I? Or is it safer to backup to a text file?

Or save it in a special way?

Its already synced with Drop Box however I want a backup to - where do I backup to and to what kind of file in order to keep it more secure?

Would appreciate some guidance on this.

thx,
tuni

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi tuni,

The options you are referring to are for exporting data to other apps. Exports are not backups. (That's why they are in the File > Export menu.) Exported data is by necessity unencrypted so that other apps can actually work with the data. If it were encrypted the app you were trying to import the data into could not read it.

1Password's backups, however, are encrypted as they are merely compressed copies of your data file so all the PBKDF2-strengthened AES goodness that protects your active data file is still protecting the backup.

1Password automatically creates a backup of your data every day that there are changes to the data file, but you can create a another backup manually at any time by selecting File > Backup from the menu bar.

The backup folder for 1Password 3.8 is located in your Home folder, so if you are using a backup solution such as Time Machine, SuperDuper, Carbon Copy Cloner, Crashplan, Carbonite, Backblaze, Arq, or pretty much any backup application, 1Password's backup folder will be included in your backup set as pretty much all backup solutions will backup your entire Home folder at the very least even if they are not backing up your entire drive. If you would like to set up a specific backup set in your backup solution, just include the 1Password backup folder and you should be all set:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups

I hope that helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Cheers!
  • tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    Gotcha - thanks......

My backups though are not in the Library - they're all in Dropbox (hopefully). At least they seem to be. ;)

The other issue is that I have also have both 1PW and Dropbox on my iPhone. When I try to open 1PW on the iPhone I get "no application is available to open this file" - so I was trying the export function thinking that maybe that would enable me to open the file but obviously that's not the way to do it. Or maybe I shouldn't be able to open it at all!!!!!!!!

Dropbox is supposed to update the 1PW file on the phone automatically as it is updated on the Dropbox on the Mac (and I think it does but its not easy to identify) - or am I thoroughly confused now????

Brain is beginning to hurt significantly.....
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2012
    We do not recommend moving the 1Password backups folder to Dropbox. Your active data file is already in your Dropbox folder and benefits from the versioning that Dropbox provides. If something happens to your Dropbox account and all your data is wiped out including the local copies of everything in your Dropbox folder, you will have no backups. We strongly recommend either using the default backup folder location or at the very least leaving it on your startup volume but outside of your Dropbox folder.

1Password data is not accessible through the Dropbox mobile app. You will need to either use the 1PasswordAnywhere feature with Mobile Safari (NOT the Dropbox app) or sync with the 1Password iOS app:

https://agilebits.co...s/1Password/Pro

Once you have installed the 1Password app on your iOS device, you can set up Dropbox syncing as described in the User Guide:

http://help.agilebit...th_dropbox.html
  • tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    1. Checking further I see that my backups are NOT in the DropBox folder....I guess its the syncs from 1PW that are automatically (since that was the way I set it up) in DropBox - I wasn't sure since you really can't open them in any meaningful way in DropBox to see what is in the file, (actually that's a question) - you can't right?

2. I have both Safari, Dropbox app and 1PW app on the iPhone4S already. It must be 1PW anywhere?

3. I was trying to open what looks like the sync files on DropBox on the phone. Am assuming that the sync happens automatically from DropBox on my Mac to DropBox on my iPhone. Again, cannot open the 1PW file to see what it really is so this is an assumption (and, of course) a question again. ;)

4. So, if I needed to view/use the 1PW data that's on my phone, how would I access it? Just trying to open the 1PW data file gives me the logins but the passwords shows as only ........... (dots). I understand that showing only the .........as passwords for each login is a security measure but suppose I really needed to access a site and didn't remember the password????

Again, I'm sure I'm driving you crazy but I can't seem really understand this utility app's function on the iPhone - in case I should ever need to use it...

thanks for your patience....
  • tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    sorry, re: #3 & 4 questions:

I have that figured out finally, I understand how to access those logins on 1PW - my mistake was trying to go through DropBox.

In fact,I think #2 also answered because its on the iPHone so it must be 1PW anywhere.

still not sure. re. #1 - is there a way to be able to read the 1 PW backup file that is on DropBox? just curious if one can see what is in the file itself which is sequestered there.

Sorry, to bother you before I did more playing around with 1PW on the phone. I didn't realize that the Dropbox app on the phone would not allow access to 1PW and its data in any kind of readable format.

Thanks again for your time & patience.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    1. Checking further I see that my backups are NOT in the DropBox folder....I guess its the syncs from 1PW that are automatically (since that was the way I set it up) in DropBox - I wasn't sure since you really can't open them in any meaningful way in DropBox to see what is in the file, (actually that's a question) - you can't right?

A backup file is simply a compressed copy of a data file. You can unzip it and then access it just like a normal data file, but it is best to simply use 1Password to restore a backup if you need to. You shouldn't ever need to open it without using 1Password, but if you do we can assist you with that when necessary. :)

2. I have both Safari, Dropbox app and 1PW app on the iPhone4S already. It must be 1PW anywhere?

1PasswordAnywhere is just a web interface to your 1Password data which is built into your data file. It is not a separate app. You access it by logging into the Dropbox website and then opening the 1Password.html file inside of 1Password.agilekeychain as explained in the User Guide:

1PasswordAnywhere

3. I was trying to open what looks like the sync files on DropBox on the phone. Am assuming that the sync happens automatically from DropBox on my Mac to DropBox on my iPhone. Again, cannot open the 1PW file to see what it really is so this is an assumption (and, of course) a question again.

Once again: the Dropbox iOS app is NOT USED when syncing 1Password data to your an iOS device. You can delete the Dropbox app from your device unless you need it for another purpose. All that is needed to sync 1Password data to your iOS device is the 1Password iOS app.

4. So, if I needed to view/use the 1PW data that's on my phone, how would I access it? Just trying to open the 1PW data file gives me the logins but the passwords shows as only ........... (dots). I understand that showing only the .........as passwords for each login is a security measure but suppose I really needed to access a site and didn't remember the password????

Open the 1Password app on your iOS device. That is where your data will be. The Dropbox iOS app is NOT USED at all, please do not open it trying to access your 1Password data. If you haven't yet set up Dropbox syncing in the 1Password app you can do so by opening the 1Password app, and while still in the 1Password app, tapping:

Settings > Sync > Dropbox

Turn Dropbox syncing ON and follow the onscreen instructions for logging in to your Dropbox account from within the 1Password app. This is all shown step by step in the guide I linked to above:

Dropbox sync setup guide

still not sure. re. #1 - is there a way to be able to read the 1 PW backup file that is on DropBox? just curious if one can see what is in the file itself which is sequestered there.
    Are you referring to a backup or to the active data file? What is the complete file name including file extension? I am afraid we keep talking about two different things.

Sorry, to bother you before I did more playing around with 1PW on the phone. I didn't realize that the Dropbox app on the phone would not allow access to 1PW and its data in any kind of readable format.

Ah, phew! Glad you got that sorted. Hopefully we can get everything else straightened out as well.

Please let me know.

Cheers!
  • tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member
    I think I've finally got it now.....really appreciate you patience....I usually don't run into trouble until I think.... definitely better off not thinking and exploring - gets me into hot water every time. There was obviously some confusion in my mind re. Dropbox - kept thinking there should be access to 1PW there.....believe I'm o.k. now.

many thanks again,
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Great news! Thanks for letting me know that everything is working well. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.