1Password For Safari not listed in extensions

Options
zcutlip
zcutlip
Community Member
edited October 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

The 1Password Safari extension recently disappeared from Safari's list of available extensions (under preferences > extensions). I've deleted and reinstalled the app from the app store to no effect. Is this a known issue? It was working fine until this morning.

Versions
1Password for Safari: 2.1.3 (20182)
Safari: 15.1 (17612.2.9.1.20)
macOS:

$ sw_vers
ProductName:    macOS
ProductVersion: 12.0.1
BuildVersion:   21A559

Thanks,
Zach

1Password Version: 8.4.0 (beta)
Extension Version: 2.1.3
OS Version: macOS 12.0.1

Comments

• Ben
    Options

@zcutlip

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty. Can you please try this command:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app

Then open Safari's preferences and see if the extension is listed there.

Ben

• ovq
    ovq
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same problem since today. The Terminal command fixed it.
    @Ben, can you elaborate why the extension would not show anymore?

• @ovq

We haven't been able to identify a root cause, but we've received feedback from other extension developers that this appears to be an issue with registering web extensions in Safari. Luckily the terminal command fixes it. Hopefully we'll be able to get to the bottom of things with your friends at Apple soon!

• zcutlip
    zcutlip
    Community Member
    Options

Updating launch services fixed it for me as well. Thank you. Useful shell alias to keep around in case this happens again:

alias fixsafari='/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -f -R /Applications/Safari.app'

Zach

• Thanks for sharing the shell alias, @zcutlip! Glad to hear it worked here for you as well! :+1:

• holgr
    holgr
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

I'm running into the same issue. And it's not just 1Password, but also other extensions, for example "Keyword Search" is also missing.

Edit: For some reason Safari also wasn't showing any replies to this, using Chrome now. Command line fix worked for me as well.

• holgr
    holgr
    Community Member
    edited November 2021
    Options

-

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for letting us know @holgr :+1:

• r8ders2k
    r8ders2k
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW, also had this happen this morning and running Ben's script solved the issue.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback as well @r8ders2k, that is good to hear :)

This discussion has been closed.