Weak Password Warning - a Senior/Architect Lead Devs opinion, I hope you read to your 'Team'

Options

A word to your feature designers, devs and architects from somebody who's been one for 35 years and is a paying customer.

I switched from LastPass to 1Password a few months ago and here's why I will probably drop 1Password. By having no method for a customer to 'disable' the 'Weak Password Warning', you have made a decision that you know what is right for every situation and every customer. Essentially this makes your product 'nagware'.

For example, there are times when a weak password is just fine. Take for example a login to Weather.com, what if I don't care if somebody guessed my password 12345, what are they going to do, change the weather? This is my decision to make, not yours to nag me with a 'Weak Password Warning' with no ability to flag that login card as 'weak password allowed'.

I work for the worlds largest defense contractor and we are not allowed (by group policy) to have password manager browser extensions. So do you think if I'm at work I want to remember some cryptic password for Weather.com that I can't remember without your tool, like what's going to happen, somebody going to change the weather if they guess my password?

This is no different than me telling you what kind of key ring to use for your house and car keys or nag you because you decided to put your keys under the doormat or on top of the garage light. Maybe you live 200 miles from the nearest person and it's perfectly reasonable to do that.

I don't know how else to phrase this but you've had numerous customers raise this issue, so I think although your Vault 'Weak Password Warning', is well intentioned, it is to put it bluntly, just ARROGANT as a company to not allow an option to disable this at my option.

You might as well just advertise on your website, "we think you our customers are always idiots and we know better, but you're not so much an idiot that we don't mind taking your money"

Feel free to email or phone me.

Regards,
Buddy Stein

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you very much for the feedback @buddystein! Our developers already have an open feature request to disable warnings such as this, so I will add your feedback to the discussion, I am sure they will find it useful :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#130

This discussion has been closed.