Password generator in iOS - erases when I try to edit it "in-line"

moogthemoog
moogthemoog
Community Member

I have previously submitted a request that the password generator should be more consistent - some browser add-ins/apps will allow a separator to be used, others don't. It's not so annoying on a laptop as you can more easily type in additional password content.

But on iOS, the password generator is almost perfect for memorable words - options for number of words, capitalisation option, full words, choose hyphens for separators; there should surely be a section to add in digits as well - e.g. "admin-4528option". I realise I can use "Digits and Symbols" but I like just having hyphens as the default symbol and having the digits together - it just makes it easier to remember as I'm typing the password in.

The most annoying thing though, on the iOS password generator - is when I try to edit the password generated - e.g. to add in a symbol - when I try this, the password disappears; the only way to do it, I think, is to save the generated password, then edit the password - not ideal when trying to create a new login from Safari. Why does the password erase when I try to edit it?

1Password Version: 7.9.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15.1.1

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2021

Hi @moogthemoog,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

it just makes it easier to remember as I'm typing the password in.

I'm curious as to why you're typing the password, rather than having 1Password fill it for you? One of the advantages of using 1Password is that you don't have to type your passwords, and as such can use more random/complex passwords.

some browser add-ins/apps will allow a separator to be used, others don't

The 1Password for Safari extension we introduce with iOS 15 will suggest passwords that are compatible with the website you're on, using Apple's password manager resources repository. While it does not account for every website, it covers many of the most commonly used sites. If you haven't tried using the "suggested password" feature in 1Password for Safari yet I'd recommend giving it a try.

Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

Please let me know what you find. :)

Ben

• moogthemoog
    moogthemoog
    Community Member

I often have to use my passwords on my family's devices, which don't always have 1Password installed, and also for my work laptops, as software is restricted so I cannot download 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.