Touch input incorrect with 1p8 on Windows 11

Options
martinsteel
martinsteel
Community Member

1password 8 doesn't seem to work correctly with touch input, version 7 was fine.

1. Context menus appear in the wrong location on screen, generally lower and up to 10-50% of the screen width to the right.

2. Some touch events are completely ignored e.g. the save button won't do anything but tabbing to it works.

3. No way to multi-select items with touch

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Referrer: forum-search:touch

Comments

• Hello again @martinsteel! I'm sorry for the issue you are having with the touch input and 1Password 8.

Can you please let us know what type of device you are using and any other details about the device that may be useful?

• Are you seeing these same issues elsewhere such as 1Password in your browser or other apps?
    • Was this behaviour new to Windows 11? Did you experience or were you at all able to test this 1Password 8 on Windows 10?

I'm personally unable to test this and would like to defer this to team for testing and reproduction purposes. In the meantime, I've started by filing this issue for the team's investigation and added your comments so they are aware of the types issues you are currently seeing with Windows 11.

Thank you for reporting this behaviour.

ref: dev/core/core#11876

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

Hiya @ag_mike_d

I’m using a Surface Pro 8, with Windows 11. I’m seeing the same context menu issue on a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10.

For comparison I can confirm 1Password 7 worked really well with touch on the Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10.

I’m also seeing issues with 1Password in Firefox on Windows 11. The main UI triggered by the toolbar button closes on touch rather than performing the expected action like opening settings. However this may be a Firefox issue as it seems a bit flaky with other touch scenarios on Windows 11/Surface Pro 8.

• Hi @martinsteel, I've included these additional details for team. Thanks for the update! :)

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi @ag_mike_d just to update you on this it's completely unusable in 8.6.0 😞

Touch input on a Surface Pro 5 under Windows 11 Enterprise 21H2.

• Unable to select anything in the items list
    • Unable to interact with any of the UI for an item e.g. copy username or click edit button
    • Holding finger on an entry in the list highlights it but doesn't select it (would normally show context menu)

It looks like someone in the testing team needs a touch screen Windows device.

• Hello again @martinsteel.

Touch input on a Surface Pro 5 under Windows 11 Enterprise 21H2.

• Unable to select anything in the items list
    • Unable to interact with any of the UI for an item e.g. copy username or click edit button
    • Holding finger on an entry in the list highlights it but doesn't select it (would normally show context menu)

Previously, you mentioned some difficulties with a Surface Pro 8 under Windows 11. Are you seeing the same issues across all Surface Pro devices you've used?

I'm sorry for the continued difficulties while using Surface Pro devices and would suggest reverting to 1Password 7 for Windows for the time being. I've updated your details in the issue I previously opened for the development team so they can continue to test and make improvements as necessary.

Please let us know if you have additional questions or concerns. Have a great day!

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_mike_d,

I’ve done a little more testing and can confirm 8.6.0 is completely unusable with touch across multiple Surface devices.

Nothing other than the left sidebar really works at all.

• ag_mike_d
    edited March 2022
    Options

@martinsteel, thanks for the updated information and sorry for the troubles. I'll get these latest details off to the team.

In the meantime, can you please provide some additional details via email to support+windows@1Password.com? Please do not post your these details in the forums.

Can you also include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox. Thank you!

ref: ZET-88743-921

• Karael
    Karael
    Community Member
    Options

I am also seeing this issue on 8.6.0+. As described by @martinsteel, most of the UI is unusable via touch inputs.

My machine is a Surface 6 Pro running Windows 11.

• Hello @karael!

We appreciate your report - I'm sorry to hear that you are running into troubles as well. Can you reach out to us at support+windows@1Password.com and send us a diagnostics report so we can update your details for the team in the issue we have filed?

Please also include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle in your reply. Thanks!

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d just to let you know still seeing this in 8.6.1

• Thanks for the update, @martinsteel! The team is continuing to investigate and we'll be in touch when we have more to share!

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d first impressions with 8.7 beta seem good. The various touch issues seem to be fixed, except context menus - they still appear in odd locations but that's a minor niggle rather than a problem🙂

• ag_mike_d
    edited April 2022
    Options

Hello again, @martinsteel! I'm glad things are working better for you.

With regard to the context menu and based on some details I've read in our filed issue, I understand that the context menu is appearing next to the cursor, and not where you are tapping. Can you confirm if this is the case or if you're seeing something different? In the meantime the team will continue to make improvements as needed with the touch interface on these types of devices.

Thanks for this additional feedback and have a great day!

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d I missed your reply so sorry for the delay.

That agrees with what I'm seeing now, slightly confusing when the cursor is on a different monitor :)

I was seeing this on a touch device without a mouse (so no on screen cursor) but don't currently have access to test and confirm. I'll let you now if I get a chance.

• Thanks, @martinsteel - Do let us know if you get a chance.

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d context menus are still broken on touch devices 10 months later.

• ag_mike_d
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hello @martinsteel,

Thanks so much for your message. I'm sorry to hear you are still having some issues with the context menus on touch devices.

It sounds like you may be referring to the device where you did not have a mouse. Is this still the case? As previously mentioned, the context menu should be appearing next to the cursor, and not where you are tapping. If your tap the search bar for example, to move the cursor there, does long pressing cause the context menu to appear at that location? Could please let us know if this works or does the context menu continue to appear in other odd locations?

Then, if you tap a item from the list to highlight it and then long press, what behaviour do you see from the context menu and where does it appear?

Looking forward to your reply.

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hiya @ag_mike_d

Both with and without mouse appear to be wrong still.

With mouse:
    The context menu appears at the mouse pointer rather than the touch point, that's the bit that's very confusing if you have multiple monitors.

Without mouse:
    Context menu appears centred on the monitor (looks like top left corner is dead centre of screen). Doesn't matter if focus is on a textbox within 1Password or another app.

Expected behaviour:
    Context menu appears at the touch point so that it's convenient to then touch and select something, this is what every other app, and Windows itself, does on Windows.

• Hello again @martinsteel,

Thanks for passing along these details for each use case. As I do not have Windows touch device, I've been unable to test. I'll update the team with details the details provided. I don't have further news to share at this time, but we'll be in touch when we do. We appreciate your patience!

This discussion has been closed.