Fuzzy text on mixed DPI monitors

Options
martinsteel
martinsteel
Community Member

I’ve just installed the update to 1password 8 and in general the changes seem good. I do have a bit of negative feedback though I’m hoping you can fix.

Fonts are fuzzy on the non-primary monitor in Windows 10 when using multiple monitors with mixed DPI scaling. 1password is crisp and clear on the primary monitor but moving the window to another causes fuzzy text with blurred edges (Chrome used to do this too).

Monitors:
1: Primary 1920x1080 150% DPI scaling
2: 1920 x 1200 100% DPI scaling
3: 1920 x 1200 100% DPI scaling

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise 21H1 x64
Referrer: forum-search:Fuzzy text on mixed DPI monitors

Comments

• Hi @martinsteel! Thanks for your message. I'm sorry for the delay in response.

We have an issue open internally related to some reports of fuzzy text at different DPI scaling. I've added your comments to this issue. However, it was noted that the ClearType settings may play a role here. Can you please try using the ClearType Text Tuner from the Windows settings to adjust your current ClearType settings? Does this help at all when moving the window to another display?

ref: dev/core/core#11521

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_mike_d no luck with cleartype changes. It seems to be a common problem with Chrome/Electron on Windows 10 with multiple monitors.

Visual Studio Code is a good example of an Electron app that has had this issue and fixed it, no idea how they did it though.

• Hi @martinsteel, thanks for the additional information here and sorry that you've had no luck with the ClearType changes. These details are with the dev team so they can investigate further. We appreciate you reporting this to us. :+1:

• dgaudaen
    dgaudaen
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same problem. I solved it by changing the High DPI compatibility setting of 1Password.exe (in AppData\Local\1password\app\8) by selecting the first option DPI for program.

• Thanks for this contribution, @dgaudaen!

@martinsteel does this solution help for your setup?

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P unfortunately not, still fuzzy text with mixed DPI screens no matter which of the DPI combability options I try.

To add further info to my original post, it's not just the 150% primary display that causes issues (fractional integer scaling seems to cause issues for some programs). I've since switched to a primary display at 200% and it's still fuzzy on the secondary monitors.

• Hi @martinsteel, sorry to learn that this issue persists. I've replied to your other post about scaling issues, and have submitted a report to our developers about it. We have an open issue about the fuzzy text as well. We'll hope to have more for you on this, and will make sure to post about it here should we have any news!

• Daniel1
    Daniel1
    Community Member
    edited April 2022
    Options

Text in the 1Password Desktop App on Windows looks blurry for me, too.

I am running Windows 11 with a 1440p monitor. Scaling is on 100%.

I remember that Visual Studio Code also had this issue a few years back, but it was fixed at some point. I hope you can fix 1Password Desktop, too. Looking at blurry text always makes me squint.

• ag_mike_d
    edited April 2022
    Options

Hi @Daniel1! I'm sorry to hear that you are seeing this as well and appreciate you reporting this behaviour. I've included these details within our open issue. Thanks!

• Powerless
    Powerless
    Community Member
    Options

@martinsteel @Daniel1 Is this of any help assuming the same problem? https://1password.community/discussion/comment/627576/#Comment_627576 (my last post)

• Daniel1
    Daniel1
    Community Member
    Options

@Powerless I don't have blurry font to that extent. But I can try in the next days if this helps.

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

@powerless cheers for the suggestion but unfortunately not, no fancy GPU here just Intel onboard graphics left at their defaults (on multiple machines). Definitely something to do with mixed DPI as a single monitor of either works fine.

Seen the same in Chrome, Slack, Teams and VS Code in the past but they've all fixed it which suggests it's missing Electron setting or optimization.

• PeterG_1P
    edited April 2022
    Options

Thank you for this, @martinsteel. I have appended your most recent observation to our internal discussion around the issue.

• martinsteel
    martinsteel
    Community Member
    Options

@PeterG_1P any update on the blurry text? It doesn't seem as bad as it used to be but still blurry compared to other apps.

• Hi @martinsteel,

I'm happy to hear that you've seen improvements with the blurry text, but this still isn't quite as expected when compared to other apps. This issue remains open and the team will continue to make improvements were and when possible, but I'm afraid we don't have any additional news share at this time.

We appreciate you checking in with us. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.