Safari extension often loses connection to 1password

Options
aleru
aleru
Community Member

Since a while and also with the latest beta release 80400053 my 1password extension for Safari (15.1) often stops working.
It always looks like 1password was locked. When really locked it still redirects me to the 1password app to enter my Passphrase but then it still looks locked in Safari and doesn't even redirect to 1password anymore.
Reloading the page does not work. Clicking aways from the login form and clicking on it again does not help.
Sometimes it helps to deactivate the 1password Safari extension and reactivate it again. But sometimes even that does not help.
Everything should be on the latest version (1password, Safari extension, Safari and macOS).

1Password Version: 8.4.0
Extension Version: 2.1.4
OS Version: macOS 12.0.1

Comments

• nuvs
    nuvs
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem. Running Safari 15.1, and 1Password 8.5 Beta build 80500034 on macOS 12.0.1. I've been having the issues for 2-3 months now. It usually happens when 1Password has autolocked because my MacBook Pro went to sleep, or 15mins has passed. Invoking 1Password in Safari asks me to unlock 1Password. After successfully unlocking the app, the Safari extension still asks for unlocking. Reloading the page works about ⅓ of the time, in other situations I have to manually disable and re-enable the extension (version 2.1.4), reload the page and then everything is fine.

• wkuehner
    wkuehner
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem. When I click on the icon for the 1Password extension, nothing happens.

• youngers
    youngers
    Community Member
    Options

I'll jump on this bandwagon. It is super irritating that the Safari extension loses connection with the 1PW app. The only way I've found to reconnect is to quit Safari completely and restart. The extension is useless unless this gets fixed. In version 7 it seemed to always work.

• Hi folks:

We're always working on improving the connection between the 1Password desktop app, and the 1Password browser extension. In the meantime, restarting both Safari, and 1Password for Mac should get everything connected and communicating again. Let me know how that goes!

Jack

• felixfbecker
    felixfbecker
    Community Member
    Options

This happens to me multiple times a day. Safari is my primary browser.

The steps I do to resolve it consistently are: In menu bar open Develop menu > Web Extension Background Pages > 1Password for Safari - Background Page, then when the debugger window is open, use Cmd+R to reload the background page. This reloads the background page of the Safari extension and it reconnects successfully.

These are the logs present in the debug console for the background page when this happens:

[Log] 👋 Initializing 1Password (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] channel: stable (background.js, line 2)
    version: 2.2.3
    build: 20195 (15.4)
    browser: Safari (15.4)
    [Info] 💫 Looking for desktop app com.1password.1password (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 👍 Finished initializing 1Password (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending <NmRequestAccounts> message to native core <2093971424> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message <NmRequestAccounts> from native core <2093971424> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending <NmRequestAccounts> message to native core <957699306> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message <NmRequestAccounts> from native core <957699306> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] We successfully unlocked 0 account(s) from a Desktop app with 0 unlocked and 2 locked account(s). (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending <NmShowUnlock> message to native core <2586477481> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message <Nothing> from native core <2586477481> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] Loaded page details in 60 ms. (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] Analyzed the page in 2 ms. (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending <NmShowUnlock> message to native core <1499905082> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message <Nothing> from native core <1499905082> (background.js, line 2)
    [Warning] Promise timed out.  (background.js, line 2)
    [Error] Exception while handling request <get-frame-manager-configuration>
        (anonymous function) (background.js:2:1986854)
        promiseReactionJob
        promiseReactionJob
        promiseReactionJob
        promiseReactionJob
    [Info] Not attempting to connect to desktop app: already connected or connecting to desktop app (background.js, line 2, x2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending <NmShowUnlock> message to native core <2603009564> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message <Nothing> from native core <2603009564> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending <NmShowUnlock> message to native core <2217158872> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message <Nothing> from native core <2217158872> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] Not attempting to connect to desktop app: already connected or connecting to desktop app (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending <NmShowUnlock> message to native core <549139247> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message <Nothing> from native core <549139247> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending <NmShowUnlock> message to native core <2692533038> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message <Nothing> from native core <2692533038> (background.js, line 2)`

I really hope this can help the 1Password dev team debug and solve this issue.

One more detail just in case it is relevant: I use both Safari and Safari Technology Preview at the same time (with the Safari extension installed in both).

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member
    Options

Ooh! Pro tip. Love it!

• Hi @felixfbecker, thank you for providing these details. We'll keep working to sort out the issue - thank you for this contribution, and your patience!

ref: dev/core/core#8209

• jayzed
    jayzed
    Community Member
    edited February 2022
    Options

Same problem here as well. It's driving me crazy since installing the 1PW beta version. I have to restart my computer a couple of times a day every time the Extension loses connection with the browser. The "command+\" keyboard also stops working as does the 1P button on the Safari title bar.

The only way to fill in anything in the browser is by going into the full 1P app and manually copy and paste each item into the fields in the browser window.

Hopefully this gets fixed during the beta phase because if this is still present on public release the crowds will be very very angry.

• Hi folks, thanks for your reports here. We'd love to get some more info on this.

For anyone who's willing, we'd love to hear from you at support+x@1Password.com, so that our extensions team can both help you personally as well as gather info that can be used for a comprehensive solution to this problem. Thank you again for your reporting here, and we'll be happy to hear from you and further investigate the issue on your behalf!

@felixfbecker @Ryan Parman @jayzed @youngers @wkuehner

• jayzed
    jayzed
    Community Member
    Options

This issue continues to happen to me on 2 different Macs, even after fully uninstalling both 1P 8 and the Safari extension. Here is the console log (which I have also sent in as a Bug report as per @PeterG_1P request above)

[Warning] 80 console messages are not shown.
    [Info] [OP] Locked at Sat Feb 26 2022 14:17:00 GMT+1100 (AEDT) (background.js, line 2)
    [Warning] Safari produced an unexpectedly shaped message (background.js, line 2, x2)
    [Info] Received from the native core (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] [OP] Locked at Sat Feb 26 2022 14:51:59 GMT+1100 (AEDT) (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] [OP] Locked at Sat Feb 26 2022 14:51:59 GMT+1100 (AEDT) (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] Not attempting to connect to desktop app: already connected or connecting to desktop app (background.js, line 2, x3)
    [Info] 📤 Sending message to native core <707160253> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message from native core <707160253> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending message to native core <2025600326> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message from native core <2025600326> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] Hooray!; Unlocked account PPS53VXGAVCODPWVZIWHON6P3I with MUK; 🎉 (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] We successfully unlocked 1 account(s) from a Desktop app with 1 unlocked and 0 locked account(s). (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] [LM] Started Desktop Lock Monitor at 1645848063057 (connected to desktop app). (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending message to native core <2901677244> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message from native core <2901677244> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending message to native core <2946709676> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message from native core <2946709676> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending message to native core <3402263088> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message from native core <3402263088> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending message to native core <813517965> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message from native core <813517965> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending message to native core <2522112351> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message from native core <2522112351> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending message to native core <3656797539> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message from native core <3656797539> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending message to native core <2655344962> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message from native core <2655344962> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending message to native core <1851863100> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message from native core <1851863100> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending message to native core <4029709604> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message from native core <4029709604> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending message to native core <447283188> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message from native core <447283188> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📤 Sending message to native core <722264043> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message from native core <722264043> (background.js, line 2)
    [Error] WebSocket connection to 'wss://b5n.1password.com/PPS53VXGAVCODPWVZIWHON6P3I/6CUZPGVAU5EY3OAA5H4SKR4NDU/w2ul7tgpfbojn7vao6zbeczadm' failed: The operation couldn’t be completed. Socket is not connected
    [Info] 📤 Sending message to native core <3523365369> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] 📥 Received message from native core <3523365369> (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] [LM] User went inactive. Posting lock notification. (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] [LM] Stopped. (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] [OP] Locked at Sat Feb 26 2022 15:12:08 GMT+1100 (AEDT) (background.js, line 2)
    [Warning] Promise timed out. (background.js, line 2)
    [Error] Unhandled Promise Rejection: undefined
    (anonymous function) (background.js:2:1992183)
    asyncFunctionResume
    (anonymous function)
    promiseReactionJobWithoutPromise
    promiseReactionJob
    asyncFunctionResume
    (anonymous function)
    promiseReactionJob
    asyncFunctionResume
    (anonymous function)
    promiseReactionJob
    [Error] Exception while handling request
    promiseReactionJob
    promiseReactionJob
    asyncFunctionResume
    (anonymous function)
    promiseReactionJob
    asyncFunctionResume
    (anonymous function)
    promiseReactionJob
    promiseReactionJob
    promiseReactionJob
    promiseReactionJob
    promiseReactionJob
    promiseReactionJob
    asyncFunctionResume
    (anonymous function)
    promiseReactionJob
    asyncFunctionResume
    (anonymous function)
    promiseReactionJob
    promiseReactionJob
    asyncFunctionResume
    (anonymous function)
    promiseReactionJob
    [Info] Not attempting to connect to desktop app: already connected or connecting to desktop app (background.js, line 2)
    [Info] Decided not to attempt reconnection to the desktop app. (background.js, line 2)
    asyncFunctionResume
    (anonymous function)
    promiseReactionJob
    asyncFunctionResume
    (anonymous function)
    promiseReactionJob

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jayzed

Did you receive a support ID when you emailed in? I'd like to "connect the dots" here, but I'm not seeing your message in our inbox.

Ben

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member
    Options

Just saw the post by @PeterG_1P from February 18. I'm happy to send information, but I don't know what information to send.

I'm still seeing this in the latest release of the Safari extension available as of today's date. I've been keeping an entire separate window open for the last month+ with the suggestion that @felixfbecker posted on February 10. I periodically switch to it and hit Command-R when 1Password gets dementia.

• Hi @Ryan Parman, thanks for the info here (and sorry for the persistence of this issue).

Does this still occur for you with the 2.3.2 update, which came out on March 24? If so, feel free to contact us at that support+x@1Password.com address, and the extensions team will let you know what information to send so they can dissect the dynamics of the issue. We'd like to resolve this for you!

I'd bet that a console log from Safari would be a good start. Here's how you can get that information: https://support.1password.com/cs/extension-console-log/#safari

Thanks, and we'll look forward to checking this out for you!

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

The most recent update the Mac App Store shows me for the 1P(8) extension for Safari is from 2022-03-16.

It appears to be v2.3.1.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Ryan Parman, you're right. 1Password for Safari v 2.3.2 is not yet available - it's still being reviewed to be added to the App Store. That being said, we'd still love to check on your Safari console logs: https://support.1password.com/cs/extension-console-log/#safari. Could you grab those and send them to us at support+x@1Password.com? Be sure to include your forum username and the link to our discussion here: https://1password.community/discussion/125208/safari-extension-often-loses-connection-to-1password#latest

After you send that email in, you should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member
    Options

Will do.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ryan Parman Thanks! I believe I saw your ticket earlier. If you haven't received a reply, please let me know your Support ID number and I can take another look.

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I got a reply, but apparently my logs didn't have a useful message. I've enabled "Persist Logs" in the console now, so when I refresh to un-stick 1P, it should keep the logs.

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member
    Options

My ticket number is #LHK-37297-729, and there's still no answer. I'm still running into this issue daily.

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

Something curious, though. I got a new Mac Studio, and was trying to figure out the best way to set it up. I made a Time Machine backup, but at first, I created a new user on the new machine, and then installed 1Password 8 and the separate Safari browser extension app up-front as part of bootstrapping the machine.

I didn't run into this issue for 2 whole days.

I have around 90% of my preferred app and system configurations saved as defaults write rules that I can just run on a new machine, reboot, and voila! But there are some new things post-Catalina that I haven't been able to track down defaults write rules for.

In the end, I ended up migrating my user profile over from my old machine via my Time Machine drive and Migration Assistant.app. Aside from having to deal with Homebrew x86 → Homebrew arm64 issues, I noticed that the browser extension timeout issue came back.

This leads me to believe that there is some file somewhere in ~/Library that is corrupted or needs to be reset in order to fix this.

I tried following these instructions, but they haven't been updated for 1P8 yet. They also don't remove the iCloud data that @rob mentions in Feature request: Secondary 1Password login.

I've also read these browser instructions, but they only cover the app and not the preferences, so no bueno.

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member
    Options

Ping.

• rob
    Options

Hey, @Ryan Parman. I looked up your support ticket where @Nhat_Nguyen had replied, and I've asked him for more info on the status of things. Given that there's an email conversation with your diagnostics report involved, let's continue the conversation there so it's all together.

• jeidd
    jeidd
    Community Member
    Options

I started running into this after clearing Safari website data. Now I have disabled the 1Password extension because it breaks "my.nextdns.io" page if this error occurs. Hope that can help somehow.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jeidd, 1Password for Safari maintains a connection to our encrypted servers (we call it the IDBDatabase Connection) which allows its functions to work properly. However, if your browser's cache, cookies, or history is cleared, that database connection is wiped, and the extension may not work (until you restart the browser or sign in again).

Are you able to adjust your workflow a bit and not clear your browsing datas often? I did test the filling on "my.nextdns.io" when Safari's browsing data is not cleared, and things do work well. Instead of clearing your browsing data, I recommend opening Safari in a private window, which would not save the details of your browsing history, and then use 1Password from there.

• magnmike
    magnmike
    Community Member
    Options

1Password for Safari has been terrible for me. Long-time 1Password user. As mentioned earlier in this string, anytime you have browser open and 1Password locks, it will not unlock when entering password unless browser is closed completely. Very painful. I can sometimes get it to force open if I open 1Password App for Mac and autofill from app. However, 1Password for Safari icon will re-lock and back to beginning. This did not occur before y'all went the specific browser extension route.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @magnmike, I'm sorry about the issues that you're seeing. It does sound like the extension is losing its connection to the 1Password app, which is what is needed to unlock the extension in the browser. Could you try the following to see if it helps?

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    3. Fully quit 1Password app and browser.
    4. Restart the 1Password app and then open browser.
    5. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    6. Under General, re-enable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    7. Test things out with the extension.

If that doesn't help, I'd like you to reproduce the issue and send over the following so we can take a closer look at what may be going on:

Attach the logs and diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• magnmike
    magnmike
    Community Member
    Options

Still happening. I have two tabs open. Once 1Password Icon locks due to inactivity, it won't open when clicking icon and entering password. Just stays locked. If I then open 1Password app and enter password, both app and icon unlock. Before the separation of the two, I never had to open the actual app. Could do everything from the icon. It's frustrating to be in Safari and when lock can no longer open app standalone. I have seen it work before, but doesn't seem to be consistent.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@magnmike could you reproduce the issue and send over the diagnostics information with the steps I shared above?

Again, you should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so that we can follow-up with it.

• magnmike
    magnmike
    Community Member
    Options

I sent the email to address provided earlier this evening. Haven’t received a Support ID yet.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@magnmike that is strange. Can you resend the email to support@1Password.com? You should get an automated reply with your Support ID. If you don't get that again this time around, please let me know.

This discussion has been closed.